By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why does Microsoft xbox scorpio need exclusives when the top best selling games are multiplatform?

I was looking through the database on vgchartz on the top best selling games for xbox one and ps4 and most of them are multiplatform games. Why does xbox scorpio need exclusives when people are buying mostly multiplatform games. If the multiplatform games run and look significantly better on the xbox scorpio, that should convince a lot of people to buy an xbox system over another console. Not to say xbox won't have exclusives this year like Halo wars 2, city skyline, state of decay 2, Forza 7, Sea of theives, crackdown 3, Killer Instinct season,ect.. but I don't think exclusives will be a big reason to buy an xbox scorpio outside of a few people.

Around the Network

Exclusives are the reason people choose consoles, if a console has multiplatform game along with exclusives, people will prefer that console as it's better value and has more diversity (which is why the ps4 is selling so much)

Because they are going to need to diferenciate themselves from the PS4 and PC. By the time the Scorpio comes out around 60m people will own a PS4 device, and a lot of people already own pretty decent PCs too. Raw power alone won't cut it if you can already play the games you want with your current hardare.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Because they are going to need to diferenciate themselves from the PS4 and PC. By the time the Scorpio comes out around 60m people will own a PS4 device, and a lot of people already own pretty decent PCs too. Raw power alone won't cut it if you can already play the games you want with your current hardare.

But a lot of people don't buy gaming PCs at all or build them. Especially the casual. And again, most people are buying multiplatform games on their consoles. So PC obviously isn't something a lot people want to be with.

AnmolRed said:
Exclusives are the reason people choose consoles, if a console has multiplatform game along with exclusives, people will prefer that console as it's better value and has more diversity (which is why the ps4 is selling so much)

I just looked at the top 30 exclusives on the ps4. Outside of remasters, uncharted 4 was the only one in the top 30. It seems most people don't even care for ps4 exclusives outside of forums.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:

Why does Microsoft xbox scorpio need exclusives when the top best selling games are multiplatform?

Because xbox in general needs exclusives, incase you hadn't noticed, it's selling way less than it's direct competitior and has barely any interesting games to set it apart from the competition.

It's a platform problem as a whole, not specifically the scorpio.

NATO said:
Snoopy said:

Why does Microsoft xbox scorpio need exclusives when the top best selling games are multiplatform?

Because xbox in general needs exclusives, incase you hadn't noticed, it's selling way less than it's direct competitior and has barely any interesting games to set it apart from the competition.

But xbox one does have quite a bit exclusives (console exclusives), that appeal to the masses. Halo, Gears, Forza motor sport,Forza Horizon Killer Instinct, Dead Rising, Sunset ovedrive,Quantum Break, ect. People don't care for exclusives that much looking at the top best selling games on the ps4 and xbox. I mean, out of the top 30 games sold on ps4 (excluding remasters), there is only one exclusive. I think it has to more with the snow ball effect that Sony had at the begining being cheaper console and people picking up ps4 because that is where their friends are at.

Snoopy said:
NATO said:

But xbox one does have quite a bit exclusives (console exclusives), that appeal to the masses. Halo, Gears, Forza motor sport,Forza Horizon Killer Instinct, Dead Rising, Sunset ovedrive,Quantum Break, ect. People don't care for exclusives that much looking at the top best selling games on the ps4 and xbox. I mean, out of the top 30 games sold on ps4 (excluding remasters), there is only one exclusive. I think it has to more with the snow ball effect that Sony had at the begining being cheaper console and people picking up ps4 because that is where their friends are at.

bolded the ones people actually care about.

Also, top 30 lists don't mean theres only one exclusive, there are plenty, and the wide diversity of games you can't play on other consoles is the draw.
It's always been that way for playstation consoles.

Also, multiplatform games have almost entirely been better on ps4 over xbox one, so even the 3rd party titles pull you towards ps4 over the xbox one.

Snoopy said:
AnmolRed said:

I just looked at the top 30 exclusives on the ps4. Outside of remasters, uncharted 4 was the only one in the top 30. It seems most people don't even care for ps4 exclusives outside of forums.

Wrong. PS4 has tens of exclusive games not selling as much as the big multiplatforms, but each of them sells pretty well and attracts a certain type of gamer. You don't need to be in the Top 30 to sell well. JRPGs or VNs don't sell as much as FPS, but have quite a lot of fans, and anyone wanting to play JRPGs and VNs needs to buy a PS4 (or Vita). It works with other games as well, Japanese third party games and Sony games most of all. Not best sellers, but must buy for part of the players. 

It's one of the reason Playstation beats Xbox and why some players absolutely can't buy an Xbox over a Playstation. I personally can't buy an Xbox because I know these Japanese games won't be on the console, and even if these games are not Call of Duty popular, they are the games I buy and play the most. 

Darwinianevolution said:

More than that, if its 54.5m now, by november that will probably be higher than that.

Apart from that I agree.

Scorpio will be like the PS4pro.

true 4k  (2160p) or 1800p (checkerboarded) its the same differnce.

PS4pro didnt set the world on fire with its sales, neither will the scorpio.

People simply dont care enough for 4k gameing yet. Most people have 1080p tv's, and arnt willing to get 4k tv's and more expensive consoles.