By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why does Microsoft xbox scorpio need exclusives when the top best selling games are multiplatform?

Azzanation said:

Exclusives is an overrated word for fanboys to use when in internet debates.
Majority of gamers just buy a console based off price and popularity. Stats show 3rd party games is the popular choice hence why WiiU sales are down compared to its competitors. If Exclusives mean everything like keyboard warriors say they do than the WiiU would be the best selling console this gen. Its not, because it doesn't have 3rd party games. Xbox or PS don't need exclusives to sell. They need GTA, Minecraft, Fifa, Cod, BF etc to sell.
PS1 barely had any good 1st party exclusives outside Crash Bandicoot and it sold way more than the N64 which dominated in 1st party exclusives, why? because of the 3rd party games. There's really no ifs or buts about it. Proof is in the numbers. Like the OP states, outside Remasters, only UC4 is in the top 30 and that game was practically given away in just about every PS4 bundle last Xmas.

1 Reason why PC gaming is the most popular form of gaming, is because of the 3rd party support. Steam is not the biggest gaming service in the world because of its 1st party content i can assure you.

Woah, you nailed it on the head exactly. Thank you. I couldn't said it better.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:

When I was playing counter strike on my old laptop it automatically set me on low settings. However, when I played in on my newer laptop it set the game at medium/high settings. It detected my hardware and chosed the best option. I'm sure xbox scorpio will do the same. Didn't require anyone to playtest or do anything about it.

Do you know that those automated quality settings had to be defined in order to properly select the correct settings based on specification? Developers had to sit there and test the engine and various graphical settings on multiple systems and multiple configurations to get a good grasp of what different graphics cards, cpu's, core counts and resolutions were best suited to the engine and game content.

Guess what that took, when coding the feature?

I'll give you a little clue.....                  Yep, you guessed it, time and money.

NATO said:
Snoopy said:

When I was playing counter strike on my old laptop it automatically set me on low settings. However, when I played in on my newer laptop it set the game at medium/high settings. It detected my hardware and chosed the best option. I'm sure xbox scorpio will do the same. Didn't require anyone to playtest or do anything about it.

Do you know that those automated quality settings had to be defined in order to properly select the correct settings based on specification? Developers had to sit there and test the engine and various graphical settings on multiple systems and multiple configurations to get a good grasp of what different graphics cards, cpu's, core counts and resolutions were best suited to the engine and game content.

I'll give you a little clue.....                  Yep, you guessed it, time and money.

If Indie games and just about every PC game can detect Hardware settings, i am sure it is no problem for a AAA Dev team to achieve the same.

NATO said:
Snoopy said:

Umm most third party games are on PC already and they do this all the time. Xbox scorpio hardware is going to be the same as a pc just like xbox one and ps4.

Azzanation said:

If Indie games and just about every PC game can detect Hardware settings, i am sure it is no problem for a AAA Dev team to achieve the same.

Indie games aren't anywhere near as taxing and will generally only make very basic approximations based on cpu speed and available resolution.

Snoopy said:

Umm most third party games are on PC already and they do this all the time. Xbox scorpio hardware is going to be the same as a pc just like xbox one and ps4.

Okay so what you're saying is, future xbox one and xbox scorpio games aren't going to be optimized at all and will just run at whatever speed they can manage with automated settings because reasons right?

You can't have it both ways, either you're getting shitly optimized games that don't take advantage of the systems hardware, or you spend... doot de doo... time and money.

And you're essentially calling the xbox scorpio a poor mans pc.

Around the Network

I agree. Scorpio doesn't need exclusives any more than Xbox One needs exclusives. MS is designing the Xbox One to work with PC gaming thanks to the Play Anywhere initiative. Pure console exclusives are a unnecessary thing now. If you game on PC, or if you game on Xbox, MS is the brand for you, and that is what matters. Besides most exclusives don't really sell all that great anyway. Well unless your name is Nintendo.

Top selling games are multiplatform of course. But exclusives mean you buy this hardware to play this specific game because it's that good.

In other words, exclusives and multiplats sell systems. But exclusives sell SPECIFIC systems.

(When I say exclusive I mean that's the only platform you can play that game on) 

Example.

Battlefield gets people to buy Xbox's and PS4's. Whereas Uncharted 4 get's people to buy PS4's and PS4's only.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

NATO said:
Azzanation said:

Indie games aren't anywhere near as taxing and will generally only make very basic approximations based on cpu speed and available resolution.

Snoopy said:

Okay so what you're saying is, future xbox one and xbox scorpio games aren't going to be optimized at all and will just run at whatever speed they can manage with automated settings because reasons right?

You can't have it both ways, either you're getting shitly optimized games that don't take advantage of the systems hardware, or you spend... doot de doo... time and money.

They already pretty much doing this with xbox one and ps4. Thus different resolutions and such. Scaling games automatically has worked very well over the years for PC gamers, so why not xbox scorpio? 

Snoopy said:
NATO said:

They already pretty much doing this with xbox one and ps4. Thus different resolutions and such. Scaling games automatically has worked very well over the years for PC gamers, so why no xbox scorpio?

No, they do not.

Snoopy said:
aLkaLiNE said:
It needs exclusives to define itself as a console. As it stands, someone could build a gaming PC and miss absolutely nothing from Scorpio.

But most people don't game on a PC. People can build a powerful pc right now and play all the best selling games on xbox one and ps4 significantly better in graphics and fps.

Around 200 million active Steam accounts, League of Legends has 100 million montly active users...