By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why does Microsoft xbox scorpio need exclusives when the top best selling games are multiplatform?

Jazz2K said:
Normchacho said:
I think the biggest mistake being made in this thread is misjudging one of the things that really make exclusives important.

Obviously they sell and pretty much any franchise that continues is going to make a direct financial case for doing so.

They also act a differentciator between systems that are becoming more and more alike.

But, the most important thing about exclusives isn't how many they sell, it's who they sell them to.

As others have said, normally as a way to say exclusives don't matter as much as forum goes think they are, exclusives sell to hardcore gamers. A sale to a hardcore gamer is worth way more than a sale to a casual gamer. A hardcore gamer is going to buy more games, talk to their friends about what they're playing, watch videos, read articles, work at video game stores and in electronics departments. They can have a huge influence on the public opinion of a brand.

Bolded - That is very true. Word of mouth is often spread by hardcore gamers. Convince them into getting your console and they'll influence the generation's direction.

And how do you convince 'hardcore gamers' to buy and promote a console? I'll wait a while for you to find a way around this one.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

It needs console exclusives.

Have you noticed that there are more PS exclusives than multiplatform games this quarter?

PS Exclusives

Nier Automata
Nioh
Digimon next order
Horizon
Yakuza Zero
Kingdom hearts 2,8
Persona 5
Gravity Rush

3rd parties

Re7
Mass effect
Tekken 7
Injustice 2

To generate interest, because if I can play the game for significantly cheaper with exclusive content on PS4 or significantly higher end with a mods and strategy games on PC, then why bother?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

HeavenlyWarrior said:
Have you noticed that there are more PS exclusives than multiplatform games this quarter?

PS Exclusives

Nier Automata
Nioh
Digimon next order
Horizon
Yakuza Zero
Kingdom hearts 2,8
Persona 5
Gravity Rush

3rd parties

Re7
Mass effect
Tekken 7
Injustice 2

Are we counting 2.8 as an exclusive? I know there's new content, but most of the disc is sold just an HD version of Dream Drop Distance.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Jazz2K said:

Bolded - That is very true. Word of mouth is often spread by hardcore gamers. Convince them into getting your console and they'll influence the generation's direction.

And how do you convince 'hardcore gamers' to buy and promote a console? I'll wait a while for you to find a way around this one.

Ofc hardcore gamers will go where the games they want are. Some hardcore gamers put their bias aside and are able to give good advice based on the needs of the person asking. Just because one has many more exclusives doesn't make it the best by default...  see PC.Other factors come into play and since the start of this thread it's like people refuse to admit while exclusives are important they are not the only reason people choose a console over another. I'm willing to bet that company bias is stronger than exclusives. Especially since they sell so few and they are generally announced later in the gen.

Azuren said:
HeavenlyWarrior said:

PS Exclusives

Nier Automata
Nioh
Digimon next order
Horizon
Yakuza Zero
Kingdom hearts 2,8
Persona 5
Gravity Rush

3rd parties

Re7
Mass effect
Tekken 7
Injustice 2

Are we counting 2.8 as an exclusive? I know there's new content, but most of the disc is sold just an HD version of Dream Drop Distance.

Well.. It's the first time we have new content since DDD on the 3ds...

But even if we don't count that, I think it's very clear that we don't have as many third party multiplatform games as we had in 2009 for instance...

I think the amount of money spent in triple A western games is too much... And that's why we have less of those games.

More games are good, Scorpio maybe have all third party support , but SONY got all of them form first party, third party exclusive and third party multi platform. Even PlayStation install base are far bigger then Xbox One more then twice . And also PlayStation brand recognition and value are far bigger and longer on the market . Xbox might have Microsoft name on it but it does only good on software market, and SONY on the other hand are veteran and have better trust on hardware market. Unless Xbox One want to make money they need to add more value with getting more games that are not available on PS4 and PC.

JRPGfan said:

true 4k  (2160p) or 1800p (checkerboarded) its the same differnce.

Eww. No.

There is a massive difference between 4k (3840x2160) and checkerboard. (3200x1800)
8,294,400 vs 5,760,000 pixels. Or... a 44% difference in pixel counts favouring 4k.

But that is not all. Not all Checkerboard games actually operate at 1800P, some operate at substantually less resolution.

Whether checkerboard vs 4k has a tangible quality difference, really depends on your display, how far you sit from your display, your eye quality... And of course developers.
If a developer forgo's the use of Anti-Aliasing, then 4k looks substantually better.

JRPGfan said:

PS4pro didnt set the world on fire with its sales, neither will the scorpio.

People simply dont care enough for 4k gameing yet. Most people have 1080p tv's, and arnt willing to get 4k tv's and more expensive consoles.

Agreed. Sales for Scorpio isn't likely to be a game changer for Microsoft, just like it wasn't for Sony.

With that, there is a benefit to 4k even if you are stuck with a 1080P TV.

Sprash said:

WiiU: great first party, non existent third party

Xbox: lackluster first party, good third party

Playstation: great first party, very good third party

Best selling console: Playstation > Xbox + WiiU

That's why it needs both first and third party support

If you look at last gen, most of that held true, but sales were fairly even but ended up as Wii > Xbox 360 > Playstation 3.
Ergo, first party, third party was pretty irrellevent.

Snoopy said:

xbox is just like the pc but closed off. They can easily scale the games just like they do with pc games. Also, I would argue xbox live being better than competitiors is a huge plus. I think microsoft leveraging off of power, xbox live, controller will more than enough. Also, exclusives are subjective. I am more of an online gamer and games like Halo, Gears and to a certain degree Forza are some of the best online games I can play. I don't think there is a single playstation exclusive online game that is known for online gaming or is that good honestly.

To be honest, I don't care about exclusives. I just care about the games I wish to play.
If they are exclusive, they are exclusive, but I honestly couldn't give a crap if they were 3rd party.

Snoopy said:

But most people don't game on a PC.

You do realise that the PC has more gamers than the Playstation 4, Xbox One and Wii U combined at the moment right?

Snoopy said:

Sorry, was referring non f2p games and AAA 60 dollars games. COD isn't doing too well on steam last I checked or the fact games like FF, Destiny and Madden aren't on PC.

CoD hasn't done well on PC for generations. Other games however do far better.
Mostly it's because Activision's support is terrible, CoD doesn't support and push PC centric technologies... And the franchise has stagnated and gone stale.

PC Games also tend to have far longer legs, years after a game is released, if Steam Discounts it, then it hits the top of the sales chart... On console that same game would have fallen into obscurity never to be heard from again.

Snoopy said:

Nope, sorry. Developers just don't go hey lets pick a random resoultion like 900p all the time. They have tools and such to determine it and I remember reading up engines like unreal engine 4 has tools that automatically set to best resolution and textures based on hardware. It just gets locked on consoles because there has never been a console system like scorpio that will have a good chance to end the typical generations.

Evidence?

Captain_Yuri said:

Exclusives do matter. Cause if it say the x1 had no exclusives but had only 3rd party games but ps4 has both exclusives and third party games, then why would anyone buy an x1?

I don't disagree that exclusives matter for some people.
But for me they don't.

Originally I bought the original Xbox back when Dinosaurs roamed the Earth not because of exclusives. But because of Halo and Fable, both were on PC, looked better on PC, played better on PC and I had them on both Xbox and PC.

But why did I do that? Well. Multiplayer. My neighbour had an Xbox, so we ran a Cat 5 cable over the fence and played each other via LAN in Halo.
And it was amazing. Even had a mate from across the road bring his console over and we would have 12-people gaming sessions.
We did the same thing with Halo 2.

Today if Halo 5 was on PC I would still own it for Xbox and PC because I wish to play Multiplayer with mates... And I would even buy it a 3rd time for Playstation for the same reason.

I dislike exclusives, they limit me to a device, I don't see platforms as replacements for each other, but as supplemental.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Jazz2K said:

Ofc hardcore gamers will go where the games they want are. Some hardcore gamers put their bias aside and are able to give good advice based on the needs of the person asking. Just because one has many more exclusives doesn't make it the best by default...  see PC.Other factors come into play and since the start of this thread it's like people refuse to admit while exclusives are important they are not the only reason people choose a console over another. I'm willing to bet that company bias is stronger than exclusives. Especially since they sell so few and they are generally announced later in the gen.

Interesting that you say 'are important' but only offer 'not the only reason' for everything else. This means we're getting somewhere because you're prioritising exclusives in that statement and so agreeing with everyone else who has said they're the most important reason. If company bias was one of the reasons then why isn't the US leaning more towards the console that had the much bigger install base in the US last gen? Is 'company bias' transmutable because there's no other explanation if what you're saying is true. If so, then what are the factors that make that possible?

And here's something else to think about: Are people going to buy the Switch for the multiplatform games or the exclusives?

The PS5 Exists.