By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Titanfall 2 Designer: Switch Is So Underpowered Third Party Support Will Be No Different Than Wii U

Rogerioandrade said:
Peh said:
Should we care?

Not really.  Most Switch owners wouldn´t care

Exactly.

Especially because they would release an already old game on the platform. No one would care the same as back then on the WII U. Thus, even Skyrim, if it is just a port, will see really bad sales.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
_Jameson said:

Yea, the cycle has begun again.

Next shitty game will probably be mass effect.

Yep, it's already confirmed and the thread was the same. 

The "nobody cares about this game anyway" game of the year award will go to RDR2 though. 

I think it's fair to say most AAA western games are going to ignore the Switch. Unless Nintendo pays for the port or the series is big enough to make a port worth it (Assassin's Creed, FIFA and possibly CoD, and also series that have a lot of spec options) will probably try it. The Switch was made with japanese support in mind. Nowadays, japanese companies make smaller games with a more limited budget, because trying to compete with money sinkers like Activision, EA or Take2 is extremely difficult. Not everyone has the money to make a GTA game. And in that respect, the Switch fits pretty well. Not well enough that every japanese-focused title will appear on it (FFXV comes to mind), but a lot of them are going to think about porting their titles to it, specially if the port is cheap and the system is powerful enough for their needs.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Mr Puggsly said:
Feels like the era of scaling games back for lower specs has ended.

Titanfall 1 worked on 360 because they scaled back the visuals and it didn't run as well, still very playable though.

Actually Titanfall 1 was the opposite.

It was built on the Source Engine, albeit modified. Which was a game engine designed for pre-Xbox 360 era hardware... That same game engine ran rather happily on the original Xbox too.
They scaled the visuals upwards to the Xbox One, not the other way around by modifying the engine.

And as far as I know, they are using the same game engine with even more refinement with Titanfall 2.

I was actually a big critic of the original Titanfalls graphics, it was pretty terrible.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Feels like the era of scaling games back for lower specs has ended.

Titanfall 1 worked on 360 because they scaled back the visuals and it didn't run as well, still very playable though.

Actually Titanfall 1 was the opposite.

It was built on the Source Engine, albeit modified. Which was a game engine designed for pre-Xbox 360 era hardware... That same game engine ran rather happily on the original Xbox too.
They scaled the visuals upwards to the Xbox One, not the other way around by modifying the engine.

And as far as I know, they are using the same game engine with even more refinement with Titanfall 2.

I was actually a big critic of the original Titanfalls graphics, it was pretty terrible.

"Ran happily"... not quite. It was sub-hd, the frame rate was all over the place, and tons of screen tear. It was fine if that was your only option.

If anything, it was designed for PC and scaled back for 360 by another studio. But it was developed for the Source engine because it could work on 7th and 8th gen platforms.

Titanfall 2 is still the Source engine, so it very likely could be scaled back to 7th gen or Switch specs. Whether or not its worthwhile is a different story.

Titanfall 1 was not a great looking game and it had me concerned about the X1's capabilities, but it was still a big step up from 7th gen console quality. My biggest gripe is it was clearly poorly optimized, wasn't locked at 60 fps and had screen tear.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Titanfall 2 was fantastic.  

Good thing it will get the type of games the 3DS got, eh?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

dgboweniii said:

Titanfall 2 was fantastic.  

Agreed, at least the campaign, which is what I've played. MP could be fun for people who enjoy that kind of MP experience, which I'm not interested in. But campaign was surprisingly good. I'm a Nintendo fan, if that matters, so that ammount of downplay of the game kind of bothers me. I didn't expect this game could possibly run on the Switch though. 

bunchanumbers said:
Switch won't be getting AAA 3rd party titles. It might not even get AA 3rd party titles. Think Wii U with slightly better support when you think Switch. Its a shame but it is what it is. At least Nintendo should be more prepared to run on their own this time.

When I think of 3rd party support on Switch, I think of solid support from small-medium sized Japanese, indie & kid/family software and the occasional mainstream western or basicslly the equivalent of 3DS+Wii U style support.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

They are right , Switch has éven less 3rd party support than WiiU, i feel liké Square Enix will bé disapppointed and will do an Escape again exactly liké on WiiU " 2-3 games then im gone "

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m