By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch: any other salty WiiU owners out there?

How does the WiiU abandonment make you feel about buying the Switch?

I own a WiiU and will def... 253 38.22%

I own a WiiU and I will w... 147 22.21%

I own a WiiU and I won't buy a Switch. 97 14.65%

I don't own a WiiU and w... 26 3.93%

I don't own a WiiU and I... 56 8.46%

I don't own a WiiU and I... 83 12.54%

Total:662
Insidb said:

Let me try to clarify this for you, to accomodate the apparent conflation of disparate points. I apologize if I came off as agressive, but it's frustrating to exchange forum posts, in lieu of having an actual, human conversation.

Since 2000, all but 2 of the top-selling video game has been third-party, multiplatform. Consequently, for the last ten years, gaming has trended away from first-party gaming. Since 2008, the top-selling video game has been third-party, multiplatform. From 1984 to 2000, however, every top-selling video game was a first-party exclusive. The games that broke the first-party trend, from 2001 to 2006, were the usual fare: GTA, CoD, and Madden. In 2007 and 2008, the best-selling games were Halo and Wii Play, respectively.

I think this is where the confusion arose. There's a clear trend towards third-party, multiplatform games driving the industry, and it extends long past their last decade streak. Despite that, the Wii (which was a massive success) saw almost exclusively first-party best-sellers (the aforementioned top 1-17). Some argue that third-party disdain for Nintendo started with the N64 and its cartridge format, but I remember there always being an N64 version of the big titles. The Wii's success was predicated on its mainstream appeal as the novel, accessible, essentially easy-the-play console. The only system my non-gamer sister has ever owned was a Wii, and she is the rule, not the exception. It was unique, accessible, and favorably priced, and the market responded accordingly. If you look at the top-selling games list, Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit take 5 of the top 7 spots. I bring that up to note that this system was not carried by games for the traditional gaming audience, but rather for the casual audience. It's first-party success was, in essence, wholly aberrant, because those games were built around the system's novelty. This is why the lack of third-party success and support is important context and why the first-party success isn't very meaningful, in the face of current gaming ecosystem.

The Nintendo Switch is built around the traditional gaming audience, which has trended towards the third-party best-sellers that have trended away from Nintendo. It's not surprising, given the sales figures that we've gone over. The Switch, much like the Wii, has to rely on its novelty to be successful. Nintendo has made it clear with the launch price, specifications, etc. It seems unlikely to me and is my greatest concern that the casual gamer that bought the Wii is not interested in the pseudo-novelty of a portable system. Seeing as we live in the CoD, GTA era, I would fully expect the traditional, mainstream (hard term to use, because the Wii was a truly mainsteam system) to look for the best versions of those games. Then, Nintendo gets caught in-between.

Much better argumentation.

I do agree that a handful of 3rd party blockbusters have been driving the industry. This is in part a big problem, as these guys bitch they can't compete Nintendo (you may notice certain problem with the argument with the data you provided) but everyone else is in the same situation with these third parties: nobody has the money to compete them, and 3rd parties are driving each other to bankruptcy. However, we're talking about a console's success, not the success of the industry. As far as I can tell Switch already has more interesting games coming out, than the 8th generation home consoles had combined. If the developers don't make games the market want's to play, it's really their problem and not the market's problem. 

Argument between Nintendo and third parties not coming along is proved false by the 3rd party support on Nintendo's handhelds. Just the blockbuster model do not like Nintendo, because Nintendo isn't discounting them royalties.

The reason why 3rd parties did so bad on Wii was because they did not understand the Wii customer and the people who were interested in multiplatforms, already had another platform to play them with (keep in mind the huge overlap between ownerships of PCs, PS360 and Wii). One mistake was to make games only for the casual gamers - that make the core of the industry - but not to previous non-gamers and/or oldschool gamers. The casual gamers are very much the heart of the industry, this is the people who buy FIFA, COD and the rest of the blockbuster games. 

You point out your sister as a rule, not an exception, and go on to call her a non-gamer, but still contradict it by saying Wii was made for traditional gaming audience (the casual gamers). Yes, there were certain type of accessible arcade games that sold on Wii and were driving it's sales. And when you look at Wii U, it does not have these type of games

One interesting thing with Wii audience and the traditional audience is, that the Wii audience is viewed more as gamers from the outside than the traditional audience: apparently you as traditional audience have strong emphasis on who makes the games, whereas I as a Wii audience care only about if the games are good. This is why you saw Wii as an anomaly to a trend, when it in fact was following a different trend where people buy only the games they like.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Nintendo replaces their consoles every 5 to 6 years. I think its because you've been used to the longevity of offerings that Sony brings over the course of a decade which is when it seems like their gens are quick when its about normal.

curl-6 said:

I don't really care if they're immature or not, I just liked having tonal variety. It was nice to break up the colourful cartoon sweets with a bit of spicy horror or a savoury shooter. I wouldn't be interested in the Switch if it's only going to offer me a monotone library.

I do kind of agree, just to point out that mature rated =/= mature, which was the subject in this context. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

I think its a bit of an oversimplification to say that the Wii sold only because of it's motion controls.

Some of its biggest sellers, like New Super Mario Bros Wii (28 million) and Smash Bros Brawl, (13 million) use them barely or not at all.

The Wii had more going for it than just motion controls; it was significantly cheaper than the competition, and in addition to blue ocean titles like Wii Sports/Fit, it provided highly desirable "core" games like the dark Ocarina successor Zelda fans had been waiting for since the N64, an epic 3D Mario widely considered one of the best games ever made, the first 2D Mario on a home console since the SNES, etc.

Success in this industry snowballs. So when things go good ... things go *really* good in this business. 

The Wii U had NSMBU and Smash Bros. and Mario Kart and Wii Fit/Party/Sports even as well. And it was cheaper than a PS4 or XB1 as well. 

That sold like shit. 

Wii is just an outlier to be honest. There's never been a console that had the metoric rise it did, followed by the equally fast meteroic crash that it had. It's a unique situation, there never will be a Wii again most likely. 

The role of the Wii Remote was to remove a barrier made by controllers being too complex and going the way of Wii U gamepad. This allowed people to access the games they wanted to play. 

When the Wii U came out, it did the complete opposite with the accessibility. On top of that, Nintendo had huge issues with content: no Wii Sports type of game (other than the microtransaction version from eshop), Wii Play was apparently some sort of Wii U gamepad game, Smash Bros was ok, though should've been out at launch, NSMBU was just a rehash of the previous games (already a fourth), Mario Kart was not a good game. By looking at the games library, it's pretty obvious why Wii U did not sell.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
curl-6 said:

I don't really care if they're immature or not, I just liked having tonal variety. It was nice to break up the colourful cartoon sweets with a bit of spicy horror or a savoury shooter. I wouldn't be interested in the Switch if it's only going to offer me a monotone library.

I do kind of agree, just to point out that mature rated =/= mature, which was the subject in this context. 

Soundwave said:

Success in this industry snowballs. So when things go good ... things go *really* good in this business. 

The Wii U had NSMBU and Smash Bros. and Mario Kart and Wii Fit/Party/Sports even as well. And it was cheaper than a PS4 or XB1 as well. 

That sold like shit. 

Wii is just an outlier to be honest. There's never been a console that had the metoric rise it did, followed by the equally fast meteroic crash that it had. It's a unique situation, there never will be a Wii again most likely. 

The role of the Wii Remote was to remove a barrier made by controllers being too complex and going the way of Wii U gamepad. This allowed people to access the games they wanted to play. 

When the Wii U came out, it did the complete opposite with the accessibility. On top of that, Nintendo had huge issues with content: no Wii Sports type of game (other than the microtransaction version from eshop), Wii Play was apparently some sort of Wii U gamepad game, Smash Bros was ok, though should've been out at launch, NSMBU was just a rehash of the previous games (already a fourth), Mario Kart was not a good game. By looking at the games library, it's pretty obvious why Wii U did not sell.

First person I've ever seen call MK8 'not a good game.'  Other than the battle mode it's easily considered one of the best in the series and far superior to the Wii version.

h2ohno said:
bdbdbd said:

First person I've ever seen call MK8 'not a good game.'  Other than the battle mode it's easily considered one of the best in the series and far superior to the Wii version.

The rest voted with their wallets. MK Wii was the superior version. Only thing that 8 did better was graphics. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Around the Network

For me the biggest problem with the shift to the industry's being driven by the AAA multiplats like COD and GTA is that is that it takes the incentive out of buying the console. It was totally worth having both a PS1 and an N64, because the games they offered were very different. The same for PS2/Gamecube, though maybe to a lesser extent. Now, literally every game I might have thought of getting on the PS4 is also coming to the PC, which I need for work. So spending any money, whether it be $300 or $100, on a PS4 is a waste for me. There are a bunch of games I wanted which came to the PS4. They almost all also happened to be on Steam.

bdbdbd said:
Jaicee said:
I have the Wii U and generally enjoy Nintendo's systems (though not as much as Sony's), but am thinking of waiting for a while on the Switch for two basic reasons:

My secondary reason is the price tag. The announced launch lineup is too anemic to justify spending $300 for me. I'll want to wait until the systems has more games and/or a lower price. That's my secondary reason.

My main reason for waiting is that I'm mad at Nintendo for booting Samus Aran from the Metroid franchise (as a playable character, I mean). The original Metroid happens to have been the first video game I fell in love with and it wouldn't have been as special to me without Samus, so Metroid Prime: Federation Force is pretty much blasphemy in my mind; blasphemy for which I aim to punish the big N in my own little way by refusing them my money for a year or so. It will just make me feel better to do so.

I think they should've left Samus out of Other M, so we could just call Other M a shitty spinoff. What's good with leaving Samus out of Federation Force is, that now we can just call Federation Force a shitty spinoff. Always think of the bright side of life.

I don't see how Other M could've done without Samus. The whole story was about how the final events of Super Metroid lead her to abandon her badass bounty hunting ways and learn to follow orders instead...a conservative theme that is precisely the whole problem with the game, as it elminates both of the franchise's traditional appeals: the sense of freedom that it offers (Metroid was one of the first action-adventure franchises to offer semi-open-world design) and the feminist appeal of a strong and independent female lead in an action role (I believer the original Metroid was only the second action-adventure in history, and first to make to the Western world, to offer one, the vanguardism of which is responsible for cementing her iconic status in the gaming).

Federation Force can be considered in many ways simply a logical extension of that same problematic trajectory, with its story revolving around the Galactic Federation's quest to become autonomous and not need bounty hunters anymore. That premise makes it easy to just get rid of the most iconic female hero in games altogether. The bottom line is that the thematic direction Nintendo is taking the Metroid franchise needs to change if the franchise is to ever revisit the things that made it awesome in the first place. That's my view.

bdbdbd said:
h2ohno said:

The rest voted with their wallets. MK Wii was the superior version. Only thing that 8 did better was graphics. 

And track design, number and variety of tracks, item balancing, 200 CC, online play, highlight sharing, ect.

Arguing sales as a measure of quality would lead to the conclusion that New Super Mario Brothers Wii is better than Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Brothers 3.

MK8 has double the attach rate of MKWii.  If you own a Wii U, you own MK8.

Wii U's biggest problem was marketing.  The general public thought it was an add-on for the Wii, not a system.  It's second biggest problem was one of the worst droughts in Nintendo's history in the first half of 2013, almost immeidately after launch.  It couldn't build any momentum after that, despite many considering it to have had the best lineup of the big 3 in 2014 and more great games like Splatoon and Mario Maker in 2015.  The Wii had so much momentum that when it started to get periodic droughts 2 years in it no longer mattered, and it's droughts were never as bad as the Wii U's early drought.

I certainly don't regret owning a Wii U; I got some very good games for it, and I surf the web through my TV with it all the time. If I had to do it all over again, knowing things would occur as they did, I'd honestly still get one.

That being said, I still feel Nintendo could have done more than they did.

How about this one. I don't own a Wii U but I am seriously considering buying one after the Switch is released.