By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch: any other salty WiiU owners out there?

How does the WiiU abandonment make you feel about buying the Switch?

I own a WiiU and will def... 253 38.22%

I own a WiiU and I will w... 147 22.21%

I own a WiiU and I won't buy a Switch. 97 14.65%

I don't own a WiiU and w... 26 3.93%

I don't own a WiiU and I... 56 8.46%

I don't own a WiiU and I... 83 12.54%

Total:662
curl-6 said:

I tend to agree; there's nothing inherently wrong with E-rated games, but since that's pretty much all Nintendo make, their output lacks variety.

That's why Metroid was such an important series, it spiced up an otherwise homogenous first party lineup. Sadly, if they made a Metroid for Switch, I'm willing to bet they'd make it some cartoony BS.

But the point is, that something being cartoony does not make it less mature. The mature part of the games is not in the art style. The mature part lies in the content. Yes, I would too like to see more mature games from Nintendo than we have seen recently, but I just don't see value in kiddie mature rated (16+/18+) games with fantasy content. Not saying there could not be ones at all, because there obviously is a market for such.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
curl-6 said:

I tend to agree; there's nothing inherently wrong with E-rated games, but since that's pretty much all Nintendo make, their output lacks variety.

That's why Metroid was such an important series, it spiced up an otherwise homogenous first party lineup. Sadly, if they made a Metroid for Switch, I'm willing to bet they'd make it some cartoony BS.

But the point is, that something being cartoony does not make it less mature. The mature part of the games is not in the art style. The mature part lies in the content. Yes, I would too like to see more mature games from Nintendo than we have seen recently, but I just don't see value in kiddie mature rated (16+/18+) games with fantasy content. Not saying there could not be ones at all, because there obviously is a market for such.

It's more about tone than anything; on Wii U for example, after playing through the colourful cartoonishness of 3D World, Splatoon, or Pikmin 3, it was a nice change of pace to play through the dark grunginess of Fatal Frame/ZombiU or the playful eroticised hyper-violence of Bayonetta 2. It's nice to have a wide variety of games that look and feel very different to each other.

curl-6 said:
bdbdbd said:

It's more about tone than anything; on Wii U for example, after playing through the colourful cartoonishness of 3D World, Splatoon, or Pikmin 3, it was a nice change of pace to play through the dark grunginess of Fatal Frame/ZombiU or the playful eroticised hyper-violence of Bayonetta 2. It's nice to have a wide variety of games that look and feel very different to each other.

Yes, I do agree that you should have different kind of games to play. But almost all of those games are immature anyway. Haven't played Zombi U (but it's 18+ and Ubisoft), so I really don't know, and Fatal Frame is a little more serious horror game, being a little so so.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Only a tiny bit salty. The reason for that was the looong wait for Zelda and that the system didn't get a Metroid. Outside of that I bought the system day one and have a couple hundred games for it (a backlog I'm likely never going to make it through). The instances of asymmetrical game-play were awesome (no more peeking at the other half of the TV to see where your opponent is at). My GF has kids and off TV play lets them both do their own thing one on the main TV with the PS4 and the other playing games or watching Netflix on the gamepad and I don't have to listen to them bicker.
I swore up and down I was going to wait on the switch before buying it just because the output of titles on the U made me want to wait ( I know I have a couple hundred titles but the vast majority of those are indies and VC - the U is the ultimate nostalgia machine in my mind since I could buy most of the games from my childhood and have them all under the hood of just one system). That said the trailer for Zelda they had made me visit Amazon and pre-order.
The options you have for controllers is fantastic (used the Pro most of all).
Overall I think the U is one of my favorite machines of all time.

Bought mine on day one. Actually preordered it. Had a great time and bought a ton of games. I got my money's worth. Now, I'm just waiting for the Switch to release.

Not gonna disconnect my WiiU, though. Still need to play the occasional game of Mario 3D World or Pikmin 3.

Around the Network

It's definitely a shame. Especially considering how little difference there is between the WiiU and the Switch when it's functioning as a home console.

It's good Breath of the Wild is releasing on both platforms though.

Salty and refuse to be an early adopter anymore. Will wait for price drop/ bundles and lucrative exclusive library...which looks like may not happen for 1.5-2 yrs.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

bdbdbd said:
Insidb said:

They did side-by-side testing of multiplat games, but I'm too old to remember when they did so.

Granted, it wasn't massively outclassed; it was just outclassed.

Yeah. Remember the early multiplatform games on PS3 that looked like crap in comparison to 360? Or the 360 launch games that visually can't match even Metroid Prime 3? I'm willing to accept "side by side comparisons" as a valid proof of system power, as long as we can say it works with every system, not just what we want to cherry pick to support our own argument.

I mean, we already have comparisons of PS3 being more powerful than Wii U, 360 being more powerful than PS3 and Wii being more powerful than 360. 

That was the infamous cell processor, though: Sony was greatly maligned for the closed architecture of the PS3. Neither MS nor Nintendo made such a boneheaded move. Also, XBox 360 came out in 2005, the PS3 came out in 2006, and the WiiU came out in 2012.

If the WiiU came out a year after the PS360 and had peculiar architecture, there'd be some justifications for a comparative lack of performance. Watch DF's videos, however,  and you will see Watch Dogs and Tekken perform best on PS3, and Bayonetta perform best on XBox 360. 

Insidb said:
bdbdbd said:

Yeah. Remember the early multiplatform games on PS3 that looked like crap in comparison to 360? Or the 360 launch games that visually can't match even Metroid Prime 3? I'm willing to accept "side by side comparisons" as a valid proof of system power, as long as we can say it works with every system, not just what we want to cherry pick to support our own argument.

I mean, we already have comparisons of PS3 being more powerful than Wii U, 360 being more powerful than PS3 and Wii being more powerful than 360. 

That was the infamous cell processor, though: Sony was greatly maligned for the closed architecture of the PS3. Neither MS nor Nintendo made such a boneheaded move. Also, XBox 360 came out in 2005, the PS3 came out in 2006, and the WiiU came out in 2012.

If the WiiU came out a year after the PS360 and had peculiar architecture, there'd be some justifications for a comparative lack of performance. Watch DF's videos, however,  and you will see Watch Dogs and Tekken perform best on PS3, and Bayonetta perform best on XBox 360. 

What lack of performance? It is a lot more powerful than Wii. You know, you compare the games on their lead platform to something that's just been ported to. Secondly, if you already have years of experience in with the architecture, it's going to better optimised anyway - the two reasons that resulted in the Wii games looking better than the 360 launch games, and 360 games looking way better than PS3 games. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
snyps said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvetoA53MU  If I say I'm fine with Nintendo being 100% family friendly.. I feel like Reek from GoT. I'm not fine with it.

Metroid sequels. New fighting game perhaps. I'd like a western a kin to Red Dead Redemption. Did you know that when Rockstar San Diego was called Angel Studios, they were a Nintendo 2nd party? Even Retro Studios was made up of the Iguana team that created Turok..  I'm a believer that mature content is fine in a family setting as long as it's a fantasy setting (i.e. pirates, ninjas, cowboys, dinosaurs).

Ok, so this a good example once again why one might feel losing a point or two of your IQ on gaming forums. First you want mature rated content on ten year old kids play. Instead of mature rated, the content itself should be mature. Think about Metroid for example, it's cartoony, but the content itself is very much mature. Or Super Metroid. Of third parties, we could think of Megaman or Doom as cartoony mature games as an example. This "kiddie Nintendo" is just a recent development we've seen after Nintendo went 3D. 

Oh, and Killer Instinct was one of the cartoony games (not sure if it was mature, though).

Yeah, I know where studios "came from". 

It's fine. I'm used to being missunderstood.