By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Developer Details Platform

Since it seems 4 corner games has an attention monkey for an employee, ill just go ahead and mess up yo' chi.

On Joy-Con’s

• Lots of tech
    -Duh, anyone who watched the conference would know this
  • HD rumble is the real deal. The bottom of the joycon will vibrate if an ice-cube hits the bottom of the glass. And a full glass of ice cubes will make the top of the joycon rumble. Like the joycon becomes the glass. Basically the rumble can vibrate at different intensities but also at different locations instead of being one giant motor.
    So again, exactly as the conference video demonstrated..
  • IR pointer is great. It would be difficult to make Wii BC games work with it but not impossible.
    Can't use the IR on the right controller to do Wii BC because the Wii IR bar uses two set a specific distance apart to function properly and do the math..
  • Comfortable to hold while separated and joined together. It doesn’t look ergonomic but they fit in hands naturally.
    Again, anyone watching conf or attending the open play sessions would know this.
  • Motion tech is on par with Oculus Touch and Vive controllers. Very accurate. Way better than Wii motion plus and PS Move controllers.
    It does not have positional tracking in a 3d space, thus this claim is bullshit (hello people, this is why oculus touch, vive controllers and ps move use a camera for tracking)
  • it detects subtle movements.
    As does any smartphone accelerometer.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller 

• Has everything the Joycon have including HD rumble and motion controls.
    Still no positional tracking.
  • No IR pointer.
    Of course not.
  • D-pad is iconic Nintendo dpad.
    I'm sure nobody who watched the conf or saw pictures of it would have guessed that...
  • Very comfortable
    Isn't that the point of a stand alone controller?
  • [s]Digital triggers[/s]
    She said analog originally, then 180'd to digital, claims to have made the mistake because she was tired....  right
  • Battery life is great but not 80 hours like the Wii U pro. Happy with battery life.
    Obviously.

Developing for Nintendo Switch

• Very happy with it
    Tells us nothing new, and entirely down to personal opinion.
  • Easy to develop for
  • Anything she wants to do she can. No limits. Toolset is great.
    The only game the company she works for is making is a basic 2d puzzler, should we be impressed by this?
  • Can’t talk specs.
    Because she doesn't know them.

My Nintendo and Virtual Console

• MyNintendo tracks all your 3DS and Wii U purchases. Not your Wii ones.
    Tracks them but ties them per console per account currently.

• Her theory on VC is if you bought a VC game on 3DS or Wii U you’ll pay an upgrade fee like you did ON Wii U. However, if you bought the same VC game on both Wii U and 3DS you’ll get the Switch VC game for free. If you only bought it on Wii VC you’re SOL.
    Theory... right..

Online subscription

• The free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it’s yours to keep as long as you’re subscribed.
    And yet you can only give a "theory" on the purchasing process? bullshit.
  • The free download a month is chosen by Nintendo because if they offered all VC games with online the player base would be split and you’d never find enough people for a match. Whereas with this method, everyone who’s downloading the game is part of the same player pool.
    It's drip fed per month because once that month is up, you have to pay to keep playing, active subscription or not, and drip feeding content that has a timed license means a steady stream of people coming back to software that has now expired and needs purchasing, as apposed to building up your library of permanent, free games, which diehards insist is the case (and is not).

The Wii U never made money

• Every unit of Wii U sold was at a loss.
    Why would she know this? this isn't information Nintendo would share with an indie company.
  • Gamepad cost to build including Labour was $95.
    Labour is never factored into hardware costs for mass production items, as employee cost is absorbed by the manufacturing facility as part of it's client order, and BOM would not be shared with licensed developers unless the licensed developer were making licensed peripherals, and even then that information would be under strict NDA, so again, bullshit.
  • Wii U console itself costed $140-150. Add in shipping and retailer cut and there’s no room for price drops.
    Same as above two.
  • Switch price is set up for future price cuts that are still profitable. Ditto the expensive accessories.
    Same as above three.

Nintendo Swich Dock

• It’s not just a passthrough. You won’t see third-party docks. It has proprietary technology. Not just an empty shell that charges and passthrough hdmi. That’s why it’s expensive.
    Dock uses a simple USB type C connector to interface with console / charge console / transmit HDMI through usb type c to hdmi.
    It is literally nothing but this:

Presented in a fancy dock.
  • It has to read that the switch is docked, switch the signal to hdmi (since the switch doesn’t have a hdmi port on the unit itself) and then hdmi to TV.
    As I said, usb c is used for charging/hdmi, there is no reading or fancy trickery, when usb c connector in dock attaches to the console, the pcb in the switch detects the presence of the hdmi interface and switches modes, the dock itself is nothing but the above image, in dock form.

And done.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:

That $95 cost is surely a croc of sh*t, why on earth would a developer being given extremely classified information from Nintendo about production costs. The $95 value is probably from one of those ridiculous sites that calculates manufacturing costs from retail prices. The resistance screen in the gamepad is the same resolution as you get in those cheap digital picture frames and even when the wii u came out you could obtain complete android tablets with higher resolution capacitance screens for something like $30 retail. This information is meant to manipulate the end consumer's perceived value so you think you are getting a good deal. Can you imagine how much something like the ps4 or xbone would cost going by these costings, it would be like $1200 each with the same fantasy pricing. 

Remember Foxconn are pretty cheap and efficient manufacturers which is why they get so much work from so many companies from low end products to high end. How on earth a gamepad like that could cost $95 is ridiculous, the screen is probably $4, the low end battery $1-2, analogue sticks probably <$1. There isn't much of worth on the circuit board apart from a wifi type chip and low spec arm cpu. The plastic case <$2. Where exactly is this $95 going. The didn't even put analogue shoulder buttons on it, such was the cost cutting.

I get what you're saying but there isn't any hard evidence to go otherwise. There's likely more to it than meets the eye and speculation. I believe Iwata was quoted saying PS4 and Xone would each cost $100 more if they had a similar gamepad. Take it as you will.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

NATO said:

Since it seems 4 corner games has an attention monkey for an employee, ill just go ahead and mess up yo' chi.

On Joy-Con’s

• Lots of tech
    -Duh, anyone who watched the conference would know this
  • HD rumble is the real deal. The bottom of the joycon will vibrate if an ice-cube hits the bottom of the glass. And a full glass of ice cubes will make the top of the joycon rumble. Like the joycon becomes the glass. Basically the rumble can vibrate at different intensities but also at different locations instead of being one giant motor.
    So again, exactly as the conference video demonstrated..
  • IR pointer is great. It would be difficult to make Wii BC games work with it but not impossible.
    Can't use the IR on the right controller to do Wii BC because the Wii IR bar uses two set a specific distance apart to function properly and do the math..
  • Comfortable to hold while separated and joined together. It doesn’t look ergonomic but they fit in hands naturally.
    Again, anyone watching conf or attending the open play sessions would know this.
  • Motion tech is on par with Oculus Touch and Vive controllers. Very accurate. Way better than Wii motion plus and PS Move controllers.
    It does not have positional tracking in a 3d space, thus this claim is bullshit (hello people, this is why oculus touch, vive controllers and ps move use a camera for tracking)
  • it detects subtle movements.
    As does any smartphone accelerometer.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller 

• Has everything the Joycon have including HD rumble and motion controls.
    Still no positional tracking.
  • No IR pointer.
    Of course not.
  • D-pad is iconic Nintendo dpad.
    I'm sure nobody who watched the conf or saw pictures of it would have guessed that...
  • Very comfortable
    Isn't that the point of a stand alone controller?
  • [s]Digital triggers[/s]
    She said analog originally, then 180'd to digital, claims to have made the mistake because she was tired....  right
  • Battery life is great but not 80 hours like the Wii U pro. Happy with battery life.
    Obviously.

Developing for Nintendo Switch

• Very happy with it
  • Easy to develop for
  • Anything she wants to do she can. No limits. Toolset is great.
    The only game the company she works for is making is a basic 2d puzzler, should we be impressed by this?
  • Can’t talk specs.
    Because she doesn't know them.

My Nintendo and Virtual Console

• MyNintendo tracks all your 3DS and Wii U purchases. Not your Wii ones.
    Tracks them but ties them per console per account currently.

• Her theory on VC is if you bought a VC game on 3DS or Wii U you’ll pay an upgrade fee like you did ON Wii U. However, if you bought the same VC game on both Wii U and 3DS you’ll get the Switch VC game for free. If you only bought it on Wii VC you’re SOL.
    Theory... right..

Online subscription

• The free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it’s yours to keep as long as you’re subscribed.
    And yet you can only give a "theory" on the purchasing process? bullshit.
  • The free download a month is chosen by Nintendo because if they offered all VC games with online the player base would be split and you’d never find enough people for a match. Whereas with this method, everyone who’s downloading the game is part of the same player pool.
    It's drip fed per month because once that month is up, you have to pay to keep playing, active subscription or not, and drip feeding content that has a timed license means a steady stream of people coming back to software that has now expired and needs purchasing, as apposed to building up your library of permanent, free games, which diehards insist is the case (and is not).

The Wii U never made money

• Every unit of Wii U sold was at a loss.
    Why would she know this? this isn't information Nintendo would share with an indie company.
  • Gamepad cost to build including Labour was $95.
    Labour is never factored into hardware costs for mass production items, as employee cost is absorbed by the manufacturing facility as part of it's client order, and BOM would not be shared with licensed developers unless the licensed developer were making licensed peripherals, and even then that information would be under strict NDA, so again, bullshit.
  • Wii U console itself costed $140-150. Add in shipping and retailer cut and there’s no room for price drops.
    Same as above two.
  • Switch price is set up for future price cuts that are still profitable. Ditto the expensive accessories.
    Same as above three.

Nintendo Swich Dock

• It’s not just a passthrough. You won’t see third-party docks. It has proprietary technology. Not just an empty shell that charges and passthrough hdmi. That’s why it’s expensive.
    Dock uses a simple USB type C connector to interface with console / charge console / transmit HDMI through usb type c to hdmi.
    It is literally nothing but this:

Presented in a fancy dock.
  • It has to read that the switch is docked, switch the signal to hdmi (since the switch doesn’t have a hdmi port on the unit itself) and then hdmi to TV.
    As I said, usb c is used for charging/hdmi, there is no reading or fancy trickery, when usb c connector in dock attaches to the console, the pcb in the switch detects the presence of the hdmi interface and switches modes, the dock itself is nothing but the above image, in dock form.

And done.

This.  Thank you NATO.

My 8th gen collection

I'm still curious about the dock and why it's so expensive..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

NATO said:

And how many games does 4cornergames have available on virtual console? clue: zero, it was founded in 2010 and the company hasn't actually released a full game yet.

So please, tell me why one of their developers would know nintendo licensing information for virtual console when they don't even have a game available yet, let alone one that would be put on virtual console.

Nintendo talks to the license holders for the retro games they wish to re-release on virtual console, when the publisher/developer of that game isn't Nintendo themselves - This is between nintendo and publishers/developers of past-gen titles, it has nothing to do with modern games, nothing to do with indies, and would not be brought up with indies because there is *NO POINT* in doing so.

Especially when the only game theyre even working on looks like this:

But hey, you'll see for yourself in 2 months that her guess was wrong, so defend it all you want.

Here's a revelation for you, VC and Indies are sold on the same online store they would have recieved the same overview as retro publishers which would have had a simple disclaimer od disregard what ever section doesn't concern them, this happens in business all the time, I know it hurts you when anything positive emerges as I've seen from your recent post but as it goes they're developing on the platform while you and Polygon aren't so they're much more credible than both of you.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

Here's a revelation for you, VC and Indies are sold on the same online store they would have recieved the same overview as retro publishers which would have had a simple disclaimer od disregard what ever section doesn't concern them, this happens in business all the time, I know it hurts you when anything positive emerges as I've seen from your recent post but as it goes they're developing on the platform while you and Polygon aren't so they're much more credible than both of you.

yes they're all sold in the eShop, but no, they aren't sent "the same overview".

Publishing a new title involves a build submission, verification, certification and processing before being added to the store, virtual console titles however are handled entirely by Nintendo, the communication between the original publisher, developer and Nintendo and involves a completely different process, there are no NDA's to sign, just a financial agreement and a licensing payment.

She's guessing, and you're clinging to falsehoods.

Like I said, in 2 months you'll see for yourself, it'll be fun to see what excuses you come up when she's proven wrong by reality.

*Edit* seems you don't even need to wait to be proven wrong.

https://www.videogamer.com/news/switchs-classic-games-for-subscribers-will-be-free-only-for-one-month

Or are you going to tell me a random indie dev for a company that hasn't yet released a game is a more reliable source than Reggie? >__>

Ironically the source of all this was a neogaf thread based on her Livestream comments, the author of the thread was banned shortly after saying making the thread was a mistake, most users in the thread are calling BS on her claims, and she's locked down her Twitter to protected to hide from repurcussions for her false statements.

Still want to fall on that sword man?

Well, we know that the online thing is fake. As Nintendo has confirmed you can only keep the games for a month.

Also, bullshit those joycons have 1:1 tracking as good as the controllers from Oculus or HTC.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Why would a no name third party developer be privy to how much room for a price cut Nintendo has on its hardware?

badgenome said:
Why would a no name third party developer be privy to how much room for a price cut Nintendo has on its hardware?

Problem is, people see social media whipped up for a particular topic and dive in with some made up shit for attention and publicity, even if they know there's no facts behind what they're saying.

Doesn't matter if they work for an indie dev company or just some random idiot on the net, they still can't resist a bit of e-fame.

Backfired in this case as people are calling out the bullshit as Nintendo come forward with more clarifications that debunk her claims.

Wyrdness said:

I know it hurts you when anything positive emerges as I've seen from your recent post but as it goes they're developing on the platform while you and Polygon aren't so they're much more credible than both of you.

I find the fact you went full on schoolyard childish with the "I know it hurts" assumption all the more sweeter now that Reggie himself has come forward and debunked this point, and the neogaf thread cataloging everything your source for this thread said, has been thoroughly debunked to the point that they renamed the thread from "..Gives details on" to "..Gives wrong details on".

You were wrong.

She was guessing after watching the same conference everyone else watched, just as I said.