By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Online Subscription service: What do you want it be?

We all thought 2016 was bad but now the Calamity known as paid online service will darken the doorstep of Nintendo.

Whether most of us agree with it or not, the terror will be upon us later this year for those on the newest Nintendo system, with the only benefit being a limited monthly rental of a NES or SNES game. So I ask the question, aside from what we know about it, what features including price do you all want to see from the subscription service to make it either worth your while or a potential success besides bleeding folks dry?

Personally, I want them to look at a lighter version of Amazon Prime where they include a little of everything. Online game play, cool, monthly rentals, servicable maybe, but I want to see more.

Personally I want something like a Miiverse replacement. I know Nintendo has already stated it wouldn't bring Miiverse to the Switch and that the share function would work with other social media platforms, but I really would like to see potential game hubs where fans can voice their opinions, heavily moderated to avoid the more lewd or trollish or not, talents and experiences. I wasn't a fan of Miiverse when it was first announced but after watching and interacting with some of the communities there I've grown to enjoy it immensly. I mean sometimes when games aren't that popular or have  been around for a while they are ghost towns but other times like with the Fire Emblem: Awakening community they are constantly popping and full of interesting things. I would like to see something like that show up again, even if the only to feature hand drawn art from those capable of doing such with either the Switch's touch pad or Joycon. Technically they already have something similar with Splatnet app and have talked about using your mobile devices in capacity with communicating with others so making a more universal one shouldn't be out of the realm of possiblity.

Also would like to see a Account like service that allows you to log into different devices, redownload previously purchased games including those that were bought on other devices like games purchased on VC for the Wii, Wii U or 3DS. If they are worried about piracy they can limit potential downloads for any given title per month or a family share feature or something without being given access from Nintendo but this locking digital purchases to hardware practice needs to end along with forcing people to pay for games multiple times with each new console.

Early access demos. Given they are not going to give away more current titles like the competitors, at least give subscribers access to demo builds of upcoming games that give them the opportunity to see if the games are worth the purchase. It isn't like they don't give certain publications or event simialar access, why not let subrcribers be able to play certain preview demos from their home during or not long after E3 instead of having to be there or go to a retailer.

Those are thoughts that come to my mind about what they should do with it.

Around the Network

free

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
free

/Thread

zorg1000 said:
free

was going to write that.

zorg1000 said:
free

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Free.

zorg1000 said:
free

Bandorr said:
I was going to say "not exist". I guess free is better.

I would have loved to see a Wii U/3ds/switch triangle like Playstation.

One game, NES/SNES, and not getting to keep them are three things they are doing wrong.

I don't think they are.

Look at how much people spend on Steam sales only to let them sit in a folder never to be played. I see the same with free games on XBLive. People think they'll play them at some point. They don't.

Doing the monthly game free means you download it, making it a rental increases the chances it will actually get played before the month ends. If they're getting updated with 2 player modes and online, that too increases the chance they'll see some playtime.

OT - Tournaments with some coins/prizes would be nice. Being able to see if there are other people playing nearby. Swapping/lending VC games. I hope download play is back and isn't part of the sub.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

There's no point answering free when we already know it has a price. Thus I want it to be as cheap as possible, like $1 a month.

cheap as fuck