By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Online Subscription service: What do you want it be?

$60/y, unlimited access to the entire pre-NDS/Wii game library, and online play. I'd pre-order the Switch today.

EDIT: ASIDE from what we know about it, I'd like a $20/y pricetag, tyvm.

EDIT2: And maybe access to the showfloor E3 demoes so I don't have to drive all the way down to BestBuy...

Around the Network

Volterra_90 said:

I'm just saying that I hope that Nintendo fandom provides some "nasty" feedback in case the worse happens.

Ha, we all know that wont happen! Didn't with Microsoft and didn't with Sony even when it's fans were accustomed to free online. The need to play your favorite games outweighs the cost for most. I'm just not strong enough to resist!

KLXVER said:

It was a joke. A bad one admittingly, but here we are...

My bad, guess you're referring to free public water fountains? Yeah hell no would I drink from those!

Einsam_Delphin said:

Volterra_90 said:

I'm just saying that I hope that Nintendo fandom provides some "nasty" feedback in case the worse happens.

Ha, we all know that wont happen! Didn't with Microsoft and didn't with Sony even when it's fans were accustomed to free online. The need to play your favorite games outweighs the cost for most. I'm just not strong enough to resist!

I can't deny I'm in the same boat as you. I have to play Splatoon and M lol. But, hey, we don't waste nothing complaining. Though I guess Nintendo knows that we'll end up with a beautiful suscription . I feel robbed though.

Free, or cheap as hell.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Cheap. $20/year wouldn't be too bad.

I think there are some gaming places near where I live so I'm going to look into those.

The Switch is adapted for local gaming, multiple Switch units connected wirelessly or whatever.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Ljink96 said:
I wonder why people expect it to be free, knowing it costs to run online services. If it didn't it would be free. It's like freaking water. It should be free, but the services that go into it to purify it aren't free. Nintendo's a company, not your bitch.

What the heck's gotten into me :`(

Probably your undying love to Nintendo is making you defend them no matter what even if it means saying crazy stuff. Once you buy water, you don't have to pay to open it up and drink it, so your comparison falls flat.

No...water...your water bill? Do you pay for your water bill or what? Once you subscribe to a water bill, you have to keep paying for it. It's a bill, get it? Let me break it down:

Money goes into purifying water that goes into your home. If water companies just gave that away for free, there'd be no money to run a company. If a company put money into running servers, which they do, and then all of a sudden goes free, that's money out of their pocket. 

The analogy works because services go into something as universal as both water and online services. People want online for free, but they don't understand that it takes money to run online. Nothing's free. I'm sure if you survey anybody, they'd want a free water bill, but of course money goes into it to purify that water to make it usable...now does it make sense?

And no, I'm not too in love with Nintendo to criticize them. Please. Just go look at my previous posts. It just makes me mad that people legit want free online services and don't understand that it costs to run online services. Sony and Microsoft aren't just doing it because they want to be dicks, they have reasons.  And it's highly monetizable. 

Ljink96 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Probably your undying love to Nintendo is making you defend them no matter what even if it means saying crazy stuff. Once you buy water, you don't have to pay to open it up and drink it, so your comparison falls flat.

No...water...your water bill? Do you pay for your water bill or what? Once you subscribe to a water bill, you have to keep paying for it. It's a bill, get it? Let me break it down:

Money goes into purifying water that goes into your home. If water companies just gave that away for free, there'd be no money to run a company. If a company put money into running servers, which they do, and then all of a sudden goes free, that's money out of their pocket. 

The analogy works because services go into something as universal as both water and online services. People want online for free, but they don't understand that it takes money to run online. Nothing's free. I'm sure if you survey anybody, they'd want a free water bill, but of course money goes into it to purify that water to make it usable...now does it make sense?

And no, I'm not too in love with Nintendo to criticize them. Please. Just go look at my previous posts. It just makes me mad that people legit want free online services and don't understand that it costs to run online services. Sony and Microsoft aren't just doing it because they want to be dicks, they have reasons.  And it's highly monetizable. 

Oh, then the comparison doesn't really make sense. Games aren't a service or utility, it's a product you can own. It would only work if you didn't already have to buy the game and if how much you payed was based on exactly how much you played.

Also do you realize that online is free right now for Nintendo and PC games? Of course people are gonna expect it to stay that way, because there's no reason it can't be free if it is already.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Ljink96 said:

Oh, then the comparison doesn't really make sense. Games aren't a service or utility, it's a product you can own. It would only work if you didn't already have to buy the game and if how much you payed was based on exactly how much you played.

Also do you realize that online is free right now for Nintendo and PC games? Of course people are gonna expect it to stay that way, because there's no reason it can't be free if it is already.

But ONLINE SERVICES ARE A SERVICE OR UTILITY. Do you ever wonder why sites like Wikipedia ask for money to keep their site up? It costs money to keep up a server. I'm referring to online services, not games. Where'd you get games from? Online is free for those devices now, but for Nintendo that's because they kept paying out of pocket to keep their servers up. If it didn't cost anything to run a server, we'd still have Mario Kart DS Servers and Devil's Third servers. Nintendo was nice enough to allow free online. Like I said, Sony and Microsoft don't make you pay because they're dicks. There's a reason. PS3 had free online for a while, but then they realized they could make money off it.

Please see this reddit post to understand how it works and why companies charge what they charge: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2ve5m4/how_much_does_it_actually_cost_a_company_to_run/