By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch and the main reasons it will be a flop W.I.P.

I agree with the OP

Around the Network

While we are getting past the Wii U LT sales in a timely manner. I am still not writing the system's success in cold stone yet. I still believe the price is too high, and Nintendo still needs to release many more evergreen IP in 2018. The games, largely ports and remasters (with the exception of Kirby which is a decent seller in Japan), announced in the mini Direct were good and they might in tandem to things released in 2017 appeal to people that did not own a Wii U and/or want to play them on the go and hence may give them reason to purchase the system in early 2018, however they are still not the big guns. While I don't believe Metroid Prime 4 (is it a big gun?) or Pokemon will not release until 2019 at the earliest; I do hope Nintendo has at least three of either Mario Maker, Smash (even if not a totally new game then a port of Smash 4 from Wii U with the Wii U content and 3DS content plus a few new exclusive stuff), Animal Crossing, Retro's new project (provided it has potential to reach a wide gaming audience ready (ideally one for late Spring/early summer, one for late Summer/Fall, and one for late Fall/Winter). In addition to that, 1 or 2 casual games/family friendly games would also be good and maybe a port of an older major Western third-party game (GTA V is a prime candidate). However, if the line up for this year is what was just announced with maybe 1 more big game but a bunch more ports (going into summer and holidays) and the system is still being sold at $300, then I can see there being major issues on the momentum front. A console's sales cycle is a marathon, and while the Switch has done exceptionally well in 2017, Nintendo is going to need to bring their A game to ensure that sales momentum continues. While the ports and B franchises for the early part of the year do not hurt (and may even aide) that, the need for new major games, particularly as we move into the late Spring period, is going to be important as will the need to price competitively before we move into the all important holiday season.

SpokenTruth said:
Has anybody seen the thread creator lately? We may need to put out a missing persons report.

He was online 14 hours ago.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Not only is your football team trash, your predictions suck too.

Shame on you kirby007.

OTBWY said:

The narrative will change. Slowly but surely the same desperate excuses against the Wii will come up. You can already see a glimpse of it: The Switch is for casuals. The Switch has a lot of shovelware. The Switch is a gimmick.

Calling it now.

Fixed for you.

Around the Network
Miguel_Zorro said:

Ooooh...

I wish I could find the pre-launch thread where I predicted that Switch sales in Japan would be higher than Wii U sales worldwide.

Your prediction will come true 2x+

So many haters for no reason in this thread man. Makes me wonder really if the average vgchartz dweller actually has any real freinds outside of theae foruma.... the amount of times i walked past collegues talking about switch or had conversations with freinds about it pre launch, guys who had never even heard of a Wii U, meant i pretty much knew it was a success just by Marketing and word of mouth around jan-feb 2017.

Back in 2006, right before the Wii launched, Perrin Kaplan gave an interview to Destructoid.

And the guy asked Perrin if the Wii would be Nintendo's last console...

After E3 that year was cleaned up by the Wii regardless of the odds(power, name, etc..). And everything that happened with Sony and Microsoft, hardware issues, not enough HD adoption, price points(software and hardware), all that. Perrin responded calmly "I highly doubt it".. and the guy sort of laughed it off..

Even if it had been true, how rude...

even the queen of England has to be kind, at least visibly.

arcaneguyver said:
I'm still stupified by this. They're replacing an overpriced console with a different overpriced console, with a lot of the same games. I don't see how this will appeal to those who passed on the WiiU.

I view it as more a successor to the 3DS with the ability to play on television.  I recently got a Switch and playing it on the go is a dream and it fits nicely in my purse.  Being able to pull out and play a top tier Mario game is a dream come true.

Now, the wait for Pokemon to cause another sales boost.

The Switch might just break the world wide sell-through record for any console's first 52 weeks.

First 52 weeks world wide sales: (the Wii is still the crown holder at this moment)

Wii - 14,519,705

3DS - 14,361,871

PS4 - 14,238,195

DS - 9,290,236

PSP - 8,069,020

XOne - 7,768,163

PS3 - 6,004,047

X360 - 5,943,800

Wii U - 3,900,583

Vita - 3,829,432

To go from NINTENDOOMED to new world record will be quite the sight.

Nintendo just needs to keep production piping hot Nintendo Switches to Japan for an easy win.

Flop to the top, Nintendo Switching it up.

:P