By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch and the main reasons it will be a flop W.I.P.

Damn, OP failed hard only evre single his point. :D

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
I had my doubts until the unveiling and then first commercial. I usually have a keen eye for good marketing and when I saw how they were presenting it, I knew it had a fighting chance.

Yeah, I remember being incredibly surprised when I saw some of the negativity around it after the trailer and after the January presentation. To me it always looked like a hit from the first second, sure I didn't expect it to sell as much as it has so far but I definitely expected something at least in the 50m range worst case scenario.

Same here. I figured it would be a success but THESE numbers. I still don't quite understand it. But I'm glad it's happening. A healthy Nintendo is good for the industry. 

All the haters came out after the January event, needlessly hating and spouting doomspeak because, well, they were going to anyways. The January event was good, and it convinced me that the Switch was going to be a success.

SegataSanshiro said:
cosmic_drift said:

Do people not understand why the Wii U failed?

Poor communication with consumers that it was a new console. Bad name. Poor marketing. Not attractive hardware for 3rd parties making for poor 3rd party support. Clumsy gimmick. Bad API. Red ocean console. Keeping the Wii brand when the audience for Wii had moved on by then. Expensive dev kits. Nintendo having a distant relationship with 3rd parties. Didn't promote 3rd party games much at all.

Switch fixed every single issue listed above.

They just need to fix the online experience now.

A web browser and streaming apps like netflix and Amazon prime are not to much to ask for in 2018. 

This thread is a great example of the unrealistic expectation of many users of this forum. The switch was/is a handheld. Nintendo’s worst selling handheld so far is the 3DS (excluding game/watch) with 70 mio units and people expct the switch to sell less then 13 mio units wtf.

Around the Network

Of course no one could predict Switch would be such a hit,but these "Switch will sell worse than Wii U" were silly from the start. Since the first viewing it was pretty obvious it would have done better...Wii U was a console that failed at the start at almost every single aspect.

This Neogaf topic is also pretty legendary: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/betting-time-do-you-think-the-switch-will-be-a-success.1333545/

Jesus...look how much drama people made because of that january presentation and the price of the console! Amazing how Nintendo inspire doom from people.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

The narrative will change. Slowly but surely the same arguments against the Wii will come up. You can already see a glimpse of it: The Switch is for casuals. The Switch has a lot of shovelware. The Switch is a gimmick.

Calling it now.

RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:

oh my god your still trolling the forums

And soon I'll be a mod. That's game over for you then.

Even more wrong then op. Gg.

Nozz-A-La said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Poor communication with consumers that it was a new console. Bad name. Poor marketing. Not attractive hardware for 3rd parties making for poor 3rd party support. Clumsy gimmick. Bad API. Red ocean console. Keeping the Wii brand when the audience for Wii had moved on by then. Expensive dev kits. Nintendo having a distant relationship with 3rd parties. Didn't promote 3rd party games much at all.

Switch fixed every single issue listed above.

They just need to fix the online experience now.

A web browser and streaming apps like netflix and Amazon prime are not to much to ask for in 2018. 

Streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Twitch, etc) I think are reasonable to want and I do hope Nintendo does partner up and deliver on them (though I am not fully convinced yet that this will happen, as only Hulu has been released so far). While I do not believe the value of these apps is as high anymore as they were before cheap streaming boxes, Smart TVs, and smartphones. Nevertheless, for certain people it might negate the need to purchase an entertainment tablet and it adds more value for the $300 asking price.

Web browsers are a bit more complicated. They are doubtlessly a good feature (again perhaps not as big as they once were before smart devices) and add value. On the other hand they are also a security risk. The 3DS, Wii U, Vita, and PS4 all have hacks that use the browser one way or another. There is a hardware hack being developed right now on Switch that will allow piracy (though Nintendo can address it with a revision to the hardware so it will not work on future systems) in the coming months; this hack was partially developed (or at least the speed of development was increased) because of a flaw in the mini web browsers that the Switch includes to access Wi-Fi hotspots that allowed hackers to look at the internal content of the console's storage. Again this was also related to a hardware flaw, so it is possible they might not have needed the browser at all, but the browser did give them help with information about some of the inner workings of the operating system. A full fledged web browser could become an easy entry point for future software hack, like they did on the other consoles I mentioned above.

OTBWY said:

The narrative will change. Slowly but surely the same arguments against the Wii will come up. You can already see a glimpse of it: The Switch is for casuals. The Switch has a lot of shovelware. The Switch is a gimmick.

Calling it now.

it's a lot harder to label,Switch a casual console: no grandmas playing WiimSports here, but gimmick and shovelware, maybe.  There's definitely been a "no AAA games" narrative from day 1, but that's slowly becoming harder to substantiate.

at any rate, none of it matters if Nintendo can keep up the pace.  IMO, Nintendo failed the Wii in the last 2 years as we failed to get new concepts and tried harder and harder to push GameCubesque software at theWii market.  Wii gamers could have eaten up a fantasy swordfigting game with controls on par with Wii Sports Resort, but the closest we got was Skyward Sword which is weighed waaay down in baggage that Wii gamers weren't looking for: dialogue, puzzles and fetch quests galore.  Switch should be easier because the audoence already enjoys traditional gaming, but there are wyas it could go south.