By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871
Ck1x said:
Kyuu said:

Took the words right off my mind.

"No lol!"

"Lol no!!"

"Stop it bitch!"

"I can't stand these threads!"

The hell is wrong with people?! Konami, Capcom and Square are my three favorite game developers yet none of them is a hardware maker. Nintendo, brilliant as they may be as game designers, showed us time and time again that they don't know how to make the ideal environment for home console gaming. It's absolutely fine if someone disagrees but these kinds of reactions are just.. I don't know man..

Well because detractors keep moving the goalpost of what they'd like Nintendo to do. Before we completely knew what the then NX was similar articles to this one suggested that Nintendo should exit the console business while continuing to create a handheld and put their titles on Playstation and Xbox. Plus their mobile initiative on the side!

Nintendo has done 2 out of those 3 things but it would make no business sense to divert customers away from their handheld market to please a few would be fans on Playstation or Xbox... Say what you will about the Switch, but it's definitely the most powerful dedicated gaming device ever created. The fact that it doesn't say Sony on the box probably hurts some people's feelings but oh well what are you gonna do? 

So how did you come to the conclusion of that last line? Also what is your reasoning behind the "most powerful dedicated gaming device ever created"? Are you saying that because  it is portable or maybe because it can't run Netflix or Hulu maybe? That is my first time ever seeing that statement so I was curious. Also where have the goalposts been moved to? Like what were they saying before that has now changed?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

Nah look what happens to Sega the minute they went 1st party. I'd rather just buy ninty hardware and Sony hardware. If anything I would  prefer Microsoft to go 3rd party, as to me personally they are irrelevant, due to been too similar to Sonys gaming division

When it comes to hardware, I'm sure the game developers of EPD, Monolith, Game Freak, Intelligent Systems, Retro Studios, etc. have had a say in how the console would ultimately be, including specs and such. Especially since the hardware and software teams of EPD are all in one, allowing better communication and flow. Even the young devs don't appear concerned about hardware specs not being up there with the PS4. Koizumi, producer of both the Switch and Super Mario Odyssey, seems pleased with the product he's involved with.

DarthMetalliCube said:

I guess I just don't understand the point of topics like this. Like are you saying you WANT Nintendo to go third party for your own personal reasons (ie, being able to play their games on your console of choice)? Fine, but it's obviously not going to happen, so what's the point? Either bite the bullet and buy a Nintendo console to play their games or stick with your PC lite consoles in XB One and PS4 and drop this stupid topic.

Or rather, are you saying it'll make financial sense for Nintendo to go third party? Judging from the profit Nintendo makes on its hardware, as well as how much Switch seems to be taking off right now, and looking at Sega as an example of what happens when a hardware manufacturer goes third party.. that theory is simply misguided at best and completely asinine at worst. I also quite enjoy my Switch hardware and judging from sales many others agree, so what exactly the problem again? Why should they stop making quality hardware?

I can only conclude at this point that people making the "Nintendo should go third party" argument are either extremely cheap and can't be bothered to spend the extra $200-$300 to buy a console or simply hold an irrational dislike to Nintendo to the point that they want to see them either wiped from the industry or marginalized to Sega level of insignificance by making games for other platforms. In either case, I can't argue with such nonsense.. If you're going to present such short-sighted ideas at least be honest with your intentions behind them..

This! Perfect response! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

With the way power means everything to some people i find it funny they talk about Sony/MS consoles... they are just PC lites and more and more of the games coming to those consoles are coming to PC. so if there's anyone going out of the console buissness its Sony/MS not Nintendo.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:
Ck1x said:

Well because detractors keep moving the goalpost of what they'd like Nintendo to do. Before we completely knew what the then NX was similar articles to this one suggested that Nintendo should exit the console business while continuing to create a handheld and put their titles on Playstation and Xbox. Plus their mobile initiative on the side!

Nintendo has done 2 out of those 3 things but it would make no business sense to divert customers away from their handheld market to please a few would be fans on Playstation or Xbox... Say what you will about the Switch, but it's definitely the most powerful dedicated gaming device ever created. The fact that it doesn't say Sony on the box probably hurts some people's feelings but oh well what are you gonna do? 

So how did you come to the conclusion of that last line? Also what is your reasoning behind the "most powerful dedicated gaming device ever created"? Are you saying that because  it is portable or maybe because it can't run Netflix or Hulu maybe? That is my first time ever seeing that statement so I was curious. Also where have the goalposts been moved to? Like what were they saying before that has now changed?

It's no different than when people asked Nintendo if they would put their mainline franchises on mobile and they said no, they would create content that draws in players to Nintendo's primary gaming platform. So how would putting all of their big games on Playstation or Xbox interest people in wanting a Switch? 

The Switch is a dedicated mobile gaming device because its primary function is to play games and it has a battery! Netflix or Hulu wouldn't change that fact at all. The PS4 is not less of a home console because it just so happens to run those apps also, it's just a home console with extra features.

I say the goalpost are moving because Nintendo has chosen not to make a dedicated home console and continues to put out apps on mobile. Now just because people aren't getting Nintendo games on their home console of choice they feel the company should now stop making hardware altogether. Why so Sony can release a handheld and Nintendo can then support that device instead of their own? 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on topics like these but in the end it doesn't make them facts... There's a widespread mentality in the gaming community that if it doesn't run on my favorite piece of plastic then it shouldn't exist. 

Sony nearly dropped out of consoles entirely. 2008. PS3 sales struggling and losing billions on the system. They started to plan to sell 1st party studios and cancel profuction of PS3. Last minute decided not to. Just saying Sony came closer to dropping out than Nintendo ever has and will in the forseeable future.

DarthMetalliCube said:

I guess I just don't understand the point of topics like this. Like are you saying you WANT Nintendo to go third party for your own personal reasons (ie, being able to play their games on your console of choice)? Fine, but it's obviously not going to happen, so what's the point? Either bite the bullet and buy a Nintendo console to play their games or stick with your PC lite consoles in XB One and PS4 and drop this stupid topic.

Or rather, are you saying it'll make financial sense for Nintendo to go third party? Judging from the profit Nintendo makes on its hardware, as well as how much Switch seems to be taking off right now, and looking at Sega as an example of what happens when a hardware manufacturer goes third party.. that theory is simply misguided at best and completely asinine at worst. I also quite enjoy my Switch hardware and judging from sales many others agree, so what exactly the problem again? Why should they stop making quality hardware?

I can only conclude at this point that people making the "Nintendo should go third party" argument are either extremely cheap and can't be bothered to spend the extra $200-$300 to buy a console or simply hold an irrational dislike to Nintendo to the point that they want to see them either wiped from the industry or marginalized to Sega level of insignificance by making games for other platforms. In either case, I can't argue with such nonsense.. If you're going to present such short-sighted ideas at least be honest with your intentions behind them..

I think someone being cheap or broke would actually be a real reason as to why they might even suggest this, but many comments agreeing that Nintendo should go 3rd party will tell you how they own either a XbOne, PS4, PSVR and soon to buy a PS4 Pro and Scorpio. So they can't concern themselves with buying a 3rd console! 

So it's more of sense of entitlement than anything at this point, because not one previous hardware manufacturer that now makes software only is doing better than they were when they were making hardware...

I would love to not be forced to shell out $300 on hardware I don't want to have the privilege of spending $60 on games I do want.

So personally I would love Nintendo to go third party, because I don't like there hardware but I like there software.

My wallet will cry out in tears this holiday when I'm spending money on a product I don't really want.

Barkley said:
I would love to not be forced to shell out $300 on hardware I don't want to have the privilege of spending $60 on games I do want.

So personally I would love Nintendo to go third party, because I don't like there hardware but I like there software.

My wallet will cry out in tears this holiday when I'm spending money on a product I don't really want.

That's the thing though, you aren't forced to buy anything. It's not like water or air that you need it to live... I want a new car right now but have to wait, so is that the automobile manufacturers fault or mine!

In a perfect world we would all be buying PC's and play every game under the sun there. Upgradable, customizable hardware and games that scale across a wide scope of system performances(Plus free online gaming). Seems like this is the avenue both Sony and Microsoft are chasing while Nintendo chooses to offer something different.