By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871

That would bé better for their games, theyll bring thé software to those who have good hardwares.

Just imagine Zelda on a current gen console

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
zorg1000 said:

wow, that was very unimpressive, all that video showed me is diminishing returns.

So basically we would be losing out on portability to make the games slightly better looking.

I think its rather impressive.... this is what games would have looked like (or better) if Nintendo had done a normal home console like a PS4.

I dont have a switch, but for 299$ Im not sure how id feel about takeing it out with me. I wouldnt have minded a traditional console.

Honestly without a side by side comparison I probably wouldn't have seen the difference and if I can't tell the difference than your average consumer probably can't see the difference.

You may not care about portability but roughly 2/3 of all Nintendo hardware sales have come from their portable devices so clearly portability is important for them and their userbase.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Aerys said:
That would bé better for their games, theyll bring thé software to those who have good hardwares.

Just imagine Zelda on a current gen console

Why would Nintendo, a company that's shown no interest in cutting edge graphics, suddenly change its design philosophy when given access to more power?

Switch's versatility is impressive. IMO it's proving itself to be an attractive item for even core players and will coexist fine with the "big box" consoles. As a matter of fact I think as the Switch line gains more power, the PS5 and what not is what will look less impressive because it's just another stationary console.

Switch lets you play hardcore, epic games anywhere you want, when you want, how you want. My brother just casually pulled out some Zelda to play yesterday while we were waiting for a movie to start at the movie theater ... that's just a cool ability, being able to do that.

Eventually there will be a Switch that can run PS4 graphics, and after that IMO the need for better and better graphics lessen, even a lot of core players are going to say "this looks good enough". 

I think with the Switch hardware form factor actually Nintendo's found its comfort zone as a hardware maker ... making home only Nintendo consoles wasn't going to work well for Nintendo, but a portable console plays to their strengths. 

A very simple solution for those wishing for Nintendo to go 3rd party... Tell your favorite platform maker to create better games! I see lots of talk about Nintendo's games being relegated to weak hardware, but Sony and Microsoft have had this super powerful hardware and I haven't seen much beyond pretty visuals out of those camps...

Around the Network
Gopodnightmoon said:
zorg1000 said:

wow, that was very unimpressive, all that video showed me is diminishing returns.

So basically we would be losing out on portability to make the games slightly better looking.

I thought the same, that was impressively unimpressive.

Geez, never thought I'd be so underwhelmed by 4k. The differences were hard to notice.

monocle_layton said:
Gopodnightmoon said:

I thought the same, that was impressively unimpressive.

Geez, never thought I'd be so underwhelmed by 4k. The differences were hard to notice.

Yeah I mean, I did notice the scope showing a little improvement and the graphics were a little clearer. Still, for a fast-paced game in which the only time you'd really absorb the landscape of the course is during the beginning segment prior to the race, seeing it in 4K didn't really blow me away.

I'd be ok for a content sharing deal that was weighed in Nintendo's favor.

Like MS gets ports of certain older Wii U titles and some Nintendo Virtual Console classics -- so maybe like a 4K port of Super Mario 3D World, Xenoblade X, Twilight Princess, etc. But no Breath of the Wild, no Mario Odyessy, etc. etc. 

In exchange, Nintendo gets Microsoft support like Minecraft crossovers, Halo Collection port for Switch, Killer Instinct, Rare games on Virtual Console, and maybe a chance to work with Rare again (Banjo-Kazooie for Switch for instance). 

But why should Nintendo be the one going third party, there's a very good chance IMO that Switch outsells the XBox One in the end. It's eventually going to drop in price and have Pokemon and the portable Nintendo market that comes with it.

I guess I just don't understand the point of topics like this. Like are you saying you WANT Nintendo to go third party for your own personal reasons (ie, being able to play their games on your console of choice)? Fine, but it's obviously not going to happen, so what's the point? Either bite the bullet and buy a Nintendo console to play their games or stick with your PC lite consoles in XB One and PS4 and drop this stupid topic.

Or rather, are you saying it'll make financial sense for Nintendo to go third party? Judging from the profit Nintendo makes on its hardware, as well as how much Switch seems to be taking off right now, and looking at Sega as an example of what happens when a hardware manufacturer goes third party.. that theory is simply misguided at best and completely asinine at worst. I also quite enjoy my Switch hardware and judging from sales many others agree, so what exactly the problem again? Why should they stop making quality hardware?

I can only conclude at this point that people making the "Nintendo should go third party" argument are either extremely cheap and can't be bothered to spend the extra $200-$300 to buy a console or simply hold an irrational dislike to Nintendo to the point that they want to see them either wiped from the industry or marginalized to Sega level of insignificance by making games for other platforms. In either case, I can't argue with such nonsense.. If you're going to present such short-sighted ideas at least be honest with your intentions behind them..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Kyuu said:
pokoko said:

Just face facts, you can't discuss this topic without a good chunk of people getting irrationally angry and insulting.  When people have their ego tied to one company only, suggesting that company change is the same to them as if you drove a knife into their heart.  It's kind of funny but also kind of not.  Not only are they offended but they're offended on for the sake of a corporation.

You're just not going to get a civil and rational response by and large.

However, it is highly entertaining.

Took the words right off my mind.

"No lol!"

"Lol no!!"

"Stop it bitch!"

"I can't stand these threads!"

The hell is wrong with people?! Konami, Capcom and Square are my three favorite game developers yet none of them is a hardware maker. Nintendo, brilliant as they may be as game designers, showed us time and time again that they don't know how to make the ideal environment for home console gaming. It's absolutely fine if someone disagrees but these kinds of reactions are just.. I don't know man..

Well because detractors keep moving the goalpost of what they'd like Nintendo to do. Before we completely knew what the then NX was, similar articles to this one suggested that Nintendo should exit the console business while continuing to create a handheld and put their titles on Playstation and Xbox. Plus their mobile initiative on the side!

Nintendo has done 2 out of those 3 things but it would make no business sense to divert customers away from their handheld market to please a few would be fans on Playstation or Xbox... Say what you will about the Switch, but it's definitely the most powerful dedicated gaming device ever created. The fact that it doesn't say Sony on the box probably hurts some people's feelings but oh well what are you gonna do? 

All of those Japanese companies that you've mentioned are nowhere close to what they once we're, which would be exactly the same thing to wish upon Nintendo. I know that people feel like gaming is something that is a requirement to live, but why does Nintendo have to be your Obamacare in this situation?...