By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Nintendo Switch will sell less than the Wii U...

Will it sell less than the Wii U?

Yes. This thing is looking to be a flop 133 17.85%

No, but it'll still sell like shit 229 30.74%

No, it'll sell very well... 323 43.36%

It'll outsell the PS4 an... 60 8.05%

Total:745

thismeintiel said:

Yea, I don't think Nintendo fans remember how much hype was put into the Wii U pre-launch.  Even suggesting it would flop would bring BIG laughs and the fallback argument of "this is the successor of the successful Wii, but also appeals to tablet gamers, and has 3rd party support."  Hell, even those who thought the Wii U would perform poorly overestimated it.  I think I predicted somwhere between 40 and 60 million for the thing.  Of course, even those numbers were scoffed at.  Turns out it was MUCH worse.  And before the PS4/XBO launched, they were saying console gaming was dead because "if this is how the Wii successor performs, the PS4/XBO don't have a prayer. "

Now, they are using similar style of arguments.  "It's protable."  "It has a new Zelda."  First of all, Zelda has never been a huge franchise.  It sells well, but nowhere near Mario well.  Nor does it push a lot of HW.  And 2nd, portability didn't save the 3DS, which launched at $50 less than the Switch is.  Nintendo had to do a $80 price cut to save it.  Basically the real argument truly is "because its Nintendo."

Having said that, I don't expect it to sell less than the Wii U.  It should at least double it.  Of course, if that's all it does, it's still a VERY bad result for Nintendo, considering this is getting their full attention.  At that point, they might as well start thinking about going either 3rd party or mobile.

While I basically agree, the joycons are a big question mark. It is clear that Nintendo can't compete in the same arena as PS and XBOX. But with the Wiimote they targeted different customers. The joycons give a certain Wiimote-vibe. But will it work? I have no idea.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

thismeintiel said:

Yea, I don't think Nintendo fans remember how much hype was put into the Wii U pre-launch.  Even suggesting it would flop would bring BIG laughs and the fallback argument of "this is the successor of the successful Wii, but also appeals to tablet gamers, and has 3rd party support."  Hell, even those who thought the Wii U would perform poorly overestimated it.  I think I predicted somwhere between 40 and 60 million for the thing.  Of course, even those numbers were scoffed at.  Turns out it was MUCH worse.  And before the PS4/XBO launched, they were saying console gaming was dead because "if this is how the Wii successor performs, the PS4/XBO don't have a prayer. "

Now, they are using similar style of arguments.  "It's protable."  "It has a new Zelda."  First of all, Zelda has never been a huge franchise.  It sells well, but nowhere near Mario well.  Nor does it push a lot of HW.  And 2nd, portability didn't save the 3DS, which launched at $50 less than the Switch is.  Nintendo had to do a $80 price cut to save it.  Basically the real argument truly is "because its Nintendo."

Having said that, I don't expect it to sell less than the Wii U.  It should at least double it.  Of course, if that's all it does, it's still a VERY bad result for Nintendo, considering this is getting their full attention.  At that point, they might as well start thinking about going either 3rd party or mobile.

While I basically agree, the joycons are a big question mark. It is clear that Nintendo can't compete in the same arena as PS and XBOX. But with the Wiimote they targeted different customers. The joycons give a certain Wiimote-vibe. But will it work? I have no idea.

It doesnt matter what Wii Mote the Switch has...Nintendo is mistaken if they think the Wii audience is coming back for the switch. A three hundred dollar portable on a dock? Nope. Once the family sees how much it costs for a second pair of joycons, they'll give it up cold turkey.

Nintendo can compete, they just gave up or are too stubborn. Do you know how  many Nintendo fans have been waiting for a generation that Nintendo would have proper third party? Nintendo does not play ball with adequate hardware. Nintendo could easily cut back into their competitiion by timing the development of a competitive console on par graphically with their competition and taking back their full time gamers who use other consoles primarily for third party and games on their platform as a secondary.

This thing is selling like a beast! I went into EB games today got some numbers. I know of 12 EB locally and each of them had a limit of 5 Breath of the Wild collectors edition. All sold out and people calling all over trying to get them.

The console already nearly hit the 80 per store limit sold out (and that's by 6:30pm) I'm out in a smaller area so our location actually might have gotten less. The bigger locations might have 100 per store and well... lets say the Neon bundle is already sold out city wide by that time, with few regular versions left.

PS. For those who don't know... looks like you can by LAN adapters separately for the Switch. I'll be grabbing one if it doesn't have a cap like the PS4 does. Gotta go fast!

thomvrell said:
I see logic doesn't exist in these forums, considering it doesn't take much thinking to realize that the 3ds level of software minimum that the switch will receive will mean success. Couple that with far more positive reception from consumers and developers, and strong titles being showcased.

The Switch is not operating as a 3DS but a hybrid, which will most likely fashion itself to play console games on the go. It wont have the 3DS appeal nor the games. The Switch is a great console, but the launch price, the accessory prices and more troubling info got in the way of what was a pretty solid piece of tech. Nintendo has to nail their support from third party or else.

Switch will have in its 1st year new 3D Zelda, new 3D Mario, Mario Kart 8 remaster, Splatoon 2, and most likely some other bigger game (maybe Pokemon), its aiming at handheld and home console market in same time, and you think it will sell less than Wii U!? :D

Good luck with your prediction.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
barneystinson69 said:

The Wii U also could play Nintendo games. This has a poor launch lineup, and is $300. 

Still a better launch lineup than the Wii U did.

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_(US)

Yes, because Zelda beats all those games combined...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Absolutely no chance. None. Zero. Nada

Have you seen the games? The lineup is ALREADY stronger than the entirety of the Wii U' s library. Add portability, cartridges, improved online and graphics. Zelda at launch. No. Just no..

Prices are a bit much, particularly the asinine $80 extra joycons, but if the software is strong enough, which so far looks to be the case, it won't matter.

60 - 80 million sales for the Switch.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Noticed that some people are touting being able to play games like Skyrim on the go. Some of these same people used to say that no one cared about being able to play console like games on a portable. WHat changed?

I guess you don't care a lot about your credibility when it comes to predictions.

oniyide said:
Noticed that some people are touting being able to play games like Skyrim on the go. Some of these same people used to say that no one cared about being able to play console like games on a portable. WHat changed?

Because nintendo has them. When the support stops, they'll say they hate 3rd parties and they don't try enough for nintendo.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).