By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has a window opened for a new Playstation handheld?

I stayed up late last night to watch the Nintendo Switch event and was really looking foward to it.  Though the presentation seemed a bit clumsy, I liked many of the games that were shown.  The game where you would quickdraw with an opponent seemed gimicky to me.  The overall concept of having a handheld device as versitile as the Switch is appealing in theory; practical though?

The pricepoint; unfortunatly, is what is going to shy me away for now.  I had plans to pre-order 2 for me and my son and can't seem to justify it now.  $299.00 + $59.99 for a game and how much for additional memory?  32GB's? Really?  I'm still going to hold out for a price drop.

Perhaps I went in expecting to much and set myself up for a fall.  

I since an opening here where Playstation could sneak in a more powerful handheld gaming device (without all the bells and whistles) at a more appealing price and gain back consumers it lost with the PS Vita.

This is my 1st thread...please be gentle popping my cherry.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Well it's not hard to make something cheaper and more powerful.

I hope not. I like Sony studios all on PS4.
Shame for VR though.

Not interested in handhelds, or the switch.

No, it would be a waste of time and money like Vita and Sony doesn't have the first party to support it.

Nope, it would not be a smart financial decision.

Around the Network

Doubt it after vita

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Hahaha nope not after the blunder that is the Vita for them. 

If third parties are not willing to support the Switch....... New Vita will be much harder!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Sony's got something good going on right now, I dont think a new handheld will benefit their current situation. Maybe later who knows, but definitely not now.

If they did a non hybrid.... and just aimed for parity with the switch portable, and just much much cheaper?
Honestly probably yes.

If sony went super hardcore on price/performance, they could make a 149$ handheld that would be equal to the Switch in portable mode (but not docked).

At that price differnce, sony would have a shot of winning the race for handheld leader.

Switch is too expensive to get mass adoption by handheld owners, imo atm.

How many handhelds have success at 299$?