By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has a window opened for a new Playstation handheld?

JRPGfan said:
Trunkin said:

$150? How the hell would they manage that?

By useing a smaller weaker chip than the one the Nintendo Switch has.

They only need to be as good as the portable mode of the switch, if its a dedicated handheld.

By useing simple design (ei. dont make a convertable thingy, with millions of parts, multiple batteries, that crazy HD rumble ect ect).

I wouldnt be suprised if Sony was able to do it for 149$.

I still don't see it. The chip will still be expensive. You're talking about a handheld that can run full scale console games, here. Plus, I have my doubts that all those fancy features in the Switch actually cost Nintendo all that much. They're ripping you off big time with the peripheral costs, as is customary.  It's still gonna need a huge battery, unless they go with a newer chip which will end up costing more. Plus they still need the bells and whistles like wifi, bluetooth, an IPS display, cameras, and probably nfc as well. 

Around the Network

Sony would be making a mistake splitting the demographic with a handheld. After the Vita, I think the confidence would be too low. Their doing console right so no reason to risk creating a gimmick.

I wish. But unlikely, there's kinda no point in the market.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

SpokenTruth said:
JRPGfan said:

By useing a smaller weaker chip than the one the Nintendo Switch has.

They only need to be as good as the portable mode of the switch, if its a dedicated handheld.

By useing simple design (ei. dont make a convertable thingy, with millions of parts, multiple batteries, that crazy HD rumble ect ect).

I wouldnt be suprised if Sony was able to do it for 149$.

Hang on a minute.  Do you honestly think Sony gamers will accept a portable that is weaker than a Nintendo device?

For a portable system? yes.

They would understand its about the same performance as the switch when its in portable mode.

And equal performance + 150$ cheaper, would be enough for those that just wanted a handheld.

SpokenTruth said:
JRPGfan said:

For a portable system? yes.

They would understand its about the same performance as the switch when its in portable mode.

And equal performance + 150$ cheaper, would be enough for those that just wanted a handheld.

Now how do you get equal performance from weaker chips?

And again, you really think Sony gamers will be happy with a lesser capable device against Nintendo?  No way in hell.   If it doesn't graphically blast a portable Nintendo product out of the water, they don't want it.

Because Nintendo dont use the full power of the switch ?

When its used as a handheld, its only 150 gflops.

The intire chip used when docked is 400 gflops.

Do you follow?

So sony could make a weaker smaller chip (not 400gflops, but only 150gflops), that performs the same as the switch, as a portable device.

(portable vs portable = same, but with a smaller cheaper chip)

Now remove all the many parts, multiple batteries, all those many rumble units for the HD rumble, the dock, ect ect ect.

You can probably shave 100-150$ off of the switch's price.

And give them a equal handheld, thats much cheaper.

Around the Network

No they won't. It wouldn't be that hard to beat a Switch costing 300 bucks, but it's easier to just cut PS4 to 200 dollars and kill the Switch with fire. Hell, if you already have a PS4 it's cheaper to upgrade to a Pro and play on 4K than to get a Switch.

I hope, I really, really hope, that Nintendo is just being greedy with this price. That they can cut it aggressively exactly like they did with the 3DS.

They should just release a new PSVita version really cheap with SD cards support (and/or 2 more triggers, but let's not dream about that), market it like a PS4 companion (maybe finally release the PS4/Vita bundle) with a couple of ports or crossplay games.

With a good marketing and price, it could sell a bit and extend the Vita's life.

No, no, no, no, no!

Sony should put all their resources towards PS4/Pro/VR/PS5.

torok said:
No they won't. It wouldn't be that hard to beat a Switch costing 300 bucks, but it's easier to just cut PS4 to 200 dollars and kill the Switch with fire. Hell, if you already have a PS4 it's cheaper to upgrade to a Pro and play on 4K than to get a Switch.

I hope, I really, really hope, that Nintendo is just being greedy with this price. That they can cut it aggressively exactly like they did with the 3DS.

If Sony wants to watch their profits disappear into thin air, then sure, they can cut the PS4 to 200 dollars.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

JRPGfan said:
SpokenTruth said:

Now how do you get equal performance from weaker chips?

And again, you really think Sony gamers will be happy with a lesser capable device against Nintendo?  No way in hell.   If it doesn't graphically blast a portable Nintendo product out of the water, they don't want it.

Because Nintendo dont use the full power of the switch ?

When its used as a handheld, its only 150 gflops.

The intire chip used when docked is 400 gflops.

Do you follow?

So sony could make a weaker smaller chip (not 400gflops, but only 150gflops), that performs the same as the switch, as a portable device.

(portable vs portable = same, but with a smaller cheaper chip)

Now remove all the many parts, multiple batteries, all those many rumble units for the HD rumble, the dock, ect ect ect.

You can probably shave 100-150$ off of the switch's price.

And give them a equal handheld, thats much cheaper.

Did you know most 3DS owners play their handheld at home? It's not so much the portability they're interested in, but the games (besides Japan). Being able to play the Switch on your TV with boosted graphics, framerate and resolution is a big advantage to Nintendo's console. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides