By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has a window opened for a new Playstation handheld?

Nintendo really needs to do a better job of explaining the 32gb HD/Game Cards situation.

They didn't explain it once in the presentation and now everyone is thinking they'll be having to fit the usual amount of data into 32gb instead of little to none should they go physical with games.

That's not an unreasonable assumption, either, and people like Gamespot are using clickbaity titles to really exploit it little to know clarification (I believe a youtube video I saw was simply titled "Zelda BotW will fill 40% of Switch's Hard Drive"). Nintendo really should have seen that coming.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
KBG29 said:

All Sony ha to do is release a PS Phone based on the PS4 tech when 7nm is available. They can sell it for $600, have full software compatability with PS4, and it will sell over 100 Million. No spliting of the userbase, no spliting of development, build one game and it works for PS Phone, PS4, and PS4 Pro. On the customer side, you by a PlayStation game off PSN and it works on your PS Phone, your PS4, or your PS4 Pro.

With access to same version of Fifa, COD, Madden, Battlefield, Gran Turismo, etc. as PS4/XBO/PC it would be impossible for them to fail.

KBG29 said:

A PlayStation Handheld and the PS4 don't have to be seperate things. At 7nm in 2019 - 2020 Sony can easily make a PS4 the same size or smaller than the Switch. This would give the device access to all PS4 titles from day one.  

Hell even right now a PS4 Tablet is possible. Get rid of the Blu-ray Drive, swap the HDD for 512GB of on board strage, axe the HDMI/USB/AUX/Ethernet/Optical ports, and put in a Micro SD and USB C slot, and you have a very compact device. Only problem currently is the 14nm PS4 APU needs active cooling, at 7nm that will no long be required. Even at that though, it would still be a very small device. Make it like the Surface book, and you have an idea the size. Keep the HDMI and people could use it like the Switch, if that is what people want. 

You might want to look into the physics of your idea.  Dropping to 7nm won't reduce power consumption from 120 watts to 10 watts.  Hell, the PS4 uses 10 watts now in standby mode.

It will definitly be possible in a Vita sized handheld/phone hybrid or iPhone Plus/Galaxy Note sized slab phone with 7nm. The current slim already cut power almost in half going from 28nm to 14nm. Getting rid of the Blu-ray Drive and swapping the HDD for Flash will save a good amount of power. Of course adding in 4G LTE will ad some back into the mix, it won't be enough to make a big issue. 

All said and done, they can easily make a device that falls into the power envolope of current high end phones and tablets. The battery life for gaming would only be about 2 - 4 hours, but as a phone it could last the day in low power mode, with light gaming. Now days I see so many people plugged in or using USB battery packs, that I honestly don't think battery life would be to big of concern, just like I think Switch will be fine.

Sony has the tech, and the know how, it is just a matter of whether they want to grow their position in the market, or continue to shrink. As a Sony fan, and investor, I hope that they decide to kill off Xperia, and make tablets/phones around PS4, and massivly grow their userbase, and the revenue and profits from PSN.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-the-playstation-4-slim-cuh-2000

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

SpokenTruth said:
KBG29 said:

It will definitly be possible in a Vita sized handheld/phone hybrid or iPhone Plus/Galaxy Note sized slab phone with 7nm. The current slim already cut power almost in half going from 28nm to 14nm. Getting rid of the Blu-ray Drive and swapping the HDD for Flash will save a good amount of power. Of course adding in 4G LTE will ad some back into the mix, it won't be enough to make a big issue. 

All said and done, they can easily make a device that falls into the power envolope of current high end phones and tablets. The battery life for gaming would only be about 2 - 4 hours, but as a phone it could last the day in low power mode, with light gaming. Now days I see so many people plugged in or using USB battery packs, that I honestly don't think battery life would be to big of concern, just like I think Switch will be fine.

Sony has the tech, and the know how, it is just a matter of whether they want to grow their position in the market, or continue to shrink. As a Sony fan, and investor, I hope that they decide to kill off Xperia, and make tablets/phones around PS4, and massivly grow their userbase, and the revenue and profits from PSN.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-the-playstation-4-slim-cuh-2000

Switch is expected to be ~15 watts with active cooling.   14nm to 7nm is not going to bring 60+ watts down to sub 10 watts (for passive cooling).

I just don't see it needing to go that low. At 20 - 30 watts with a 4000mAH battery it would do just fine for light to mkderate gaming. It would not be tiny like the current smartphones, your looking at something at least an inch longer and twice as thick as an iPhone 7 Plus with the Handheld/Phone hybrid, and something about the size of a iPhone 7, but again twice as thick for a slab version.

For a low power mode to run basic opperations, they can easily sit in the 5 to 10 watt territory. They don't have to have all 8 CPU cores and all 18 GPU cores active all the time. This this chipset could easily be made to last more than a day for basic phone calls, web browsing, texting, music, etc., between AMD and Sony they have the tech and the know how.

I know some will say it is too big, but I where Levi 30/32 slim cut jeans, and I have no problem fitting an OG 3G PS Vita and an Xperia Z in one pocket. Phones don't need to be as small as the iPhone. With full access to all PS4 titles, and PSN services I think a large group of people would be prefectly happy with a phone the same size or ever so slightly bigger than the OG Vita.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Given Sony's situation I think they'd probably just continue to double down on things that are working marvelously for them (Playstation/VR) rather than risking a venture that bombed, especially given the sheer price range Nintendo has largely cornered down at the moment (entry cost almost nothing for 2DS, scaling up to the Switch).

Really, Pokemon and Monster Hunter have done more to maintain Nintendo's reign in the handheld market than anything. I just don't think Sony has much incentive to dabble there, especially when resources can be spent on "sure things" elsewhere.

I think nintendo has made some small mistakes with the Switch which should allow a competitor some decent acces. Price and overconfigurability are the biggest ones.

What sony needs to do is, like nintendo, focus on a in home gaming experience that can be taken portable, inside the home mainly but also on the road.

A successful type console IMHO would be something like a PSVita2 (64bit ARM SOC, maybe bigLittle quad/quad, whatever). USB-c, cartridges, memstick (SD pls!!), bluetooth.

Upgrade option would be to purchase a USB-c switch style dock cradle with dualshock4 for TV play (dock charges vita2 and multiple controllers). Also should be able to plug in a hard drive for storing your whole game library, some nice tool for keeping your fave mobile ones local on the psvita2.  1080p would be okay for this.

Controls of the psvita2/dualshock 4 should overlap for sanity (back touchscreen? nah).

One possible business model:

Someone can get into the ecosystem by purchasing the psvita2 bare.
TV "dock" with dualshock4 for nominal upgrade price.
On the go multiplayer: NES style bluetooth gumstick controllers (games need to specifically support these).

It would be cool if something like this happened. But who knows if sony would really do this?

Having had a psp for a while now...I do like the switch's ability to change out controls, mostly for when they wear out and finally break!

Around the Network

It could but I don't think it will

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nope, no handheld except Nintendo handheld.

bnolsen said:

I think nintendo has made some small mistakes with the Switch which should allow a competitor some decent acces. Price and overconfigurability are the biggest ones.

What sony needs to do is, like nintendo, focus on a in home gaming experience that can be taken portable, inside the home mainly but also on the road.

A successful type console IMHO would be something like a PSVita2 (64bit ARM SOC, maybe bigLittle quad/quad, whatever). USB-c, cartridges, memstick (SD pls!!), bluetooth.

Upgrade option would be to purchase a USB-c switch style dock cradle with dualshock4 for TV play (dock charges vita2 and multiple controllers). Also should be able to plug in a hard drive for storing your whole game library, some nice tool for keeping your fave mobile ones local on the psvita2.  1080p would be okay for this.

Controls of the psvita2/dualshock 4 should overlap for sanity (back touchscreen? nah).

One possible business model:

Someone can get into the ecosystem by purchasing the psvita2 bare.
TV "dock" with dualshock4 for nominal upgrade price.
On the go multiplayer: NES style bluetooth gumstick controllers (games need to specifically support these).

It would be cool if something like this happened. But who knows if sony would really do this?

Having had a psp for a while now...I do like the switch's ability to change out controls, mostly for when they wear out and finally break!

This is what would appeal to me as well, but someone in the thread had mentioned that if Sony wasn't already working on a portable device and suddenly wanted to, the developement process would still take years, thus the alternative to the Switch would not be immediate.  Now if there is a project currenty in the works that would be a different story (also mentioned by somebody that leaks would of occured by now).  I think timing would be the factor of influence and success.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.