By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has a window opened for a new Playstation handheld?

Omg no lol. As the song days, let it goooooo!

If Sony want to bring back any old psp IPs they can either
A. Develop them for the Switch
B. Make them for mobile
C. Make them for both and possibly ps4 too.

But that ain't happening.

Around the Network
thomvrell said:
Sony would be making a mistake splitting the demographic with a handheld. After the Vita, I think the confidence would be too low. Their doing console right so no reason to risk creating a gimmick.
Miguel_Zorro said:

Maybe at the low end of the market - something with decent but not leading edge power and a low price point.  But I don't see why Sony would do that.  They're doing well with the PS4 and unless a handheld would do really really well, it's just a distraction.

Kerotan said:
Omg no lol. As the song days, let it goooooo!

If Sony want to bring back any old psp IPs they can either
A. Develop them for the Switch
B. Make them for mobile
C. Make them for both and possibly ps4 too.

But that ain't happening.

All Sony ha to do is release a PS Phone based on the PS4 tech when 7nm is available. They can sell it for $600, have full software compatability with PS4, and it will sell over 100 Million. No spliting of the userbase, no spliting of development, build one game and it works for PS Phone, PS4, and PS4 Pro. On the customer side, you by a PlayStation game off PSN and it works on your PS Phone, your PS4, or your PS4 Pro.

With access to same version of Fifa, COD, Madden, Battlefield, Gran Turismo, etc. as PS4/XBO/PC it would be impossible for them to fail.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

torok said:
No they won't. It wouldn't be that hard to beat a Switch costing 300 bucks, but it's easier to just cut PS4 to 200 dollars and kill the Switch with fire. Hell, if you already have a PS4 it's cheaper to upgrade to a Pro and play on 4K than to get a Switch.

I hope, I really, really hope, that Nintendo is just being greedy with this price. That they can cut it aggressively exactly like they did with the 3DS.

I think Nintendo is actually running on pretty thin profit margin (Comparably) here. But interesting estimation is that, if they release version of Switch that contains only the Tablet + ONE pro controller + Power Adapter, I expect they can shave off all the way down to  launching at $199 or less while maintaining profit...

Hell, removing dock entirely from process alone probably can shave off 30+ dollars, people seems to underestimate dock's price a lot.

As reason for Nintendo to add this kind of pointless addition... I have some prediction, but for now. I will wait.

Nope, the handheld market is slowly going away because of the rise of mobile and Sony already needs to support PS4, VR and they're probably already doing the 1st work on the PS5.

poklane said:
Nope, the handheld market is slowly going away because of the rise of mobile and Sony already needs to support PS4, VR and they're probably already doing the 1st work on the PS5.

It's probably called TLOU 2 (remastered)

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Qwark said:

poklane said:

Nah, I'm expecting the PS5 to have full backwards compatability. Microsoft sure as hell seems to be doing it for all their future consoles so Sony is basically forced to do it too.

DroidKnight said:

I stayed up late last night to watch the Nintendo Switch event and was really looking foward to it.  Though the presentation seemed a bit clumsy, I liked many of the games that were shown.  The game where you would quickdraw with an opponent seemed gimicky to me.  The overall concept of having a handheld device as versitile as the Switch is appealing in theory; practical though?

The pricepoint; unfortunatly, is what is going to shy me away for now.  I had plans to pre-order 2 for me and my son and can't seem to justify it now.  $299.00 + $59.99 for a game and how much for additional memory?  32GB's? Really?  I'm still going to hold out for a price drop.

Perhaps I went in expecting to much and set myself up for a fall.  

I since an opening here where Playstation could sneak in a more powerful handheld gaming device (without all the bells and whistles) at a more appealing price and gain back consumers it lost with the PS Vita.

This is my 1st thread...please be gentle popping my cherry.

I think there is a reason Nintendo collapsed its hardware down to one product, it found it too difficult to support 2 pieces of hardware. Well and Wii U sold horribly, but it's utter horrible sales is partly because of major software droughts. While there might be space in the market for a 2nd handheld console I think it would be a bad move for Sony to do it. But I think in the main prospective hardware makers are probably seeing that handheld consoles are a high risk proposition because phone and tablet handheld gaming are so prevalent, and Nintendo has been the king of handheld forever, that trying to eek out a profitable market niche would be very hard.

PSP succeeded because mobile gaming wasn't a thing, so there was space for PSP. Vita may have succeeded with better game support, but it was kinda doomed to fall far short of PSP simply because gaming on the go had moved on.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

If a window has opened i home someone closes it quickly! Lol i loved the vita but i cant see Sony going back to handhelds ever again tbh.

poklane said:
Qwark said:

Nah, I'm expecting the PS5 to have full backwards compatability. Microsoft sure as hell seems to be doing it for all their future consoles so Sony is basically forced to do it too.

The only reason Sony hasn't done PS3 backwards compatability is because it's pretty much impossible to emulate the PS3 on the PS4 specs, hell probably even the PS5 specs, and yeah I do expect the PS5 to have PS4 backwards compatabilty.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

BasilZero said:
Nope.

I rather have all the PSP and Vita games become available on PSN for PS4.
poklane said:
think-man said:
If a window has opened i home someone closes it quickly! Lol i loved the vita but i cant see Sony going back to handhelds ever again tbh.

A PlayStation Handheld and the PS4 don't have to be seperate things. At 7nm in 2019 - 2020 Sony can easily make a PS4 the same size or smaller than the Switch. This would give the device access to all PS4 titles from day one.  

Hell even right now a PS4 Tablet is possible. Get rid of the Blu-ray Drive, swap the HDD for 512GB of on board strage, axe the HDMI/USB/AUX/Ethernet/Optical ports, and put in a Micro SD and USB C slot, and you have a very compact device. Only problem currently is the 14nm PS4 APU needs active cooling, at 7nm that will no long be required. Even at that though, it would still be a very small device. Make it like the Surface book, and you have an idea the size. Keep the HDMI and people could use it like the Switch, if that is what people want. 

I will agree that Sony needs to focus on the PS4, but that does not mean that they shouldn't look at other form factors. For PS4 and the PlayStation ecosystem to expand, and stay competitive it needs to compete as broadly as possible. Having a PS4 Tablet, a PS4 Handheld, and a PS4 Phone would only make the PlayStation brand stronger. With everything running the same hardware and OS, it would not see the neglect we saw with PSP and PS Vita, because it would all be part of the same platform. All of these devices would be joining in on a Platform that already has a 50 Million strong userbase. They would just drive that number up, and create even greater user engament.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL