By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has a window opened for a new Playstation handheld?

Areym said:
I doubt they have any confidence in handhelds after the Vita. The PS4 is still the king, they should keep focus on that

They went over board with design costs, and gimmicks that wherent needed that drove price up.

A dedicated handheld on pair with the switch in portable mode, could easily be made for 149$ I feel.

It wont be able to hook up to a tv ect, but just as a pure handheld? the price gap alone man...

Sony would just need to call it a PSP2, aim for 149$ price point (no unnessary gimmicks), and standard microSD slots for memory.

It would be more successfull than the vita is currently imo.

Around the Network

There`s one chance for Sony succeding in handelheld gaming, make it not a handelheld gaming device, but make it the ultimate smartphone for gamers!

Xperia PLay was a good idea very badly implemented, but if Sony can make a Smartphone with that form-factor, but with guts and with a good price point, it`s a no brainer it can succeed. Think like this, an smartphone, that runs a heavily optimized Android, with an x86 processor so porting from PS4 to this new machine will be very easy, supporting all android dedicated catalog and with exclusive releases, it could work very well.

Taking the entire idea of the Switch but with the smartphone form-factor and ditching the TV part, it could be a killer. People don`t mind carrying an 5.0 inches screen smartphone.

I actually don`t understand why Sony didn`t have done anything like that before. Gaming on smartphone is getting every day bigger, fusing the possible public of handelhelds and smartphone gamers is something only they can do right now, since they can use the PS brand to bring important titles to the plataform.

And they even don`t have to worry too much about pricing, since even if it`s sold for 500 USD carriers can subside the cost with contracts. It would sell like hotcakes.

No, but I wouldn't completely rule this out. Switch is overpriced as all hell due to the joycons. Nintendo hasn't learned yet, they just haven't. The issue with handhelds to begin with is the same developers that support PS4 and Xbox One will want nothing to do with PS Vita 2, and they don't have the handheld franchises Nintendo has. They have to jump through those 2 hurdles first but as somebody else said, it isn't impossible to make something more powerful and cheaper than the Switch. And it's really sad too.

They're focusing on this HD rumble,but that's probably costing a ton and they're probaly not even going to find a real way to use it. Wii U ALL OVER AGAIN.

If thd Switch sells like crazy in Japan (which it will) Sony,as a major electronics manufacturer will have no choice but to make a competitive system. With many analysts saying home console gaming is doomed in the coming years there is a very real possibility that PlayStation 5 will be a hybrid system. Don't say it can't happen.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

SonytendoAmiibo said:
If thd Switch sells like crazy in Japan (which it will) Sony,as a major electronics manufacturer will have no choice but to make a competitive system. With many analysts saying home console gaming is doomed in the coming years there is a very real possibility that PlayStation 5 will be a hybrid system. Don't say it can't happen.

I think Sony better don`t do that. Home console is doing very well wordwide, it`s kinda problematic only in Japan. I don`t think any sane company will risk NA and Europe to try to save Japan, they are going to go for a strategy to help Japan but that won`t compromise their operations elsewhere in the world.

Around the Network
invetedlotus123 said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

I think Sony better don`t do that. Home console is doing very well wordwide, it`s kinda problematic only in Japan. I don`t think any sane company will risk NA and Europe to try to save Japan, they are going to go for a strategy to help Japan but that won`t compromise their operations elsewhere in the world.

I'm not talking about right now. The PS4 has many years of greatness left to it. I'm talking about several years, maybe 10 years from now. If console gaming ends up being a small group of people not large enough to cover game development costs, Sony will make a hybrid system.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

JRPGfan said:

They went over board with design costs, and gimmicks that wherent needed that drove price up.

A dedicated handheld on pair with the switch in portable mode, could easily be made for 149$ I feel.

It wont be able to hook up to a tv ect, but just as a pure handheld? the price gap alone man...

Sony would just need to call it a PSP2, aim for 149$ price point (no unnessary gimmicks), and standard microSD slots for memory.

It would be more successfull than the vita is currently imo.

This is on par with what I was thinking.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

The market is in decline due to phones, tablets and so on. Nintendo, who have always dominated the handheld market release a handheld-home console hybrid with a unified Nintendo software catalogue and it's opened a window?

Not a chance.

I don't think so. If the switch is a huge success, than just maybe

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

No. Also Sony is already doing a SEGA and supporting too much hardware at once. Adding more takes away with much less return. Better they ride the momentum PS4 has and not mess that up.