By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has a window opened for a new Playstation handheld?

Yes, PS Zombie is on its way. I heard Knack 2 is a launch title.

Around the Network

Is the window open? Sure. It will always be. Will Sony do it, and more importantly do it well? I don't think so.

I doubt it. The Vita will go along getting third party support well into 2018 and I'll be happy. Sales were well below what Sony wanted and it is clear focus on PS4 and then VR right now.

If Nintendo has decided that traditional handhelds are dead, I really don't expect Sony to try again. Maybe they'll try some sort of remote play companion device for PS4 or PS5, but other than that, nope.

Nope. Sony is closing studios. Do you really think that they are going to be able to support PS4, PSVR, and a new handheld? It would be bad and filled with droughts.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
It would need to be cheaper. More games at launch.
If they could some how include "free internet" for it like with the ps3 - then sure.
With a better battery.

That is a lot of requirements.

but not hard to make, if you aim for it design wise.

A non hybrid handheld, will be more cost effective to design, and if you just aimed for parity with the switch (non docked mode), it could be much cheaper.

if its sales take off, lots of 3rd party titles for the switch would also come for it.

Nope...

Because 6th gen had the the 81.5m selling gba, 7th gen the 154m and 82m psp and 8th the 70m-75m+ 3DS and 13m+ psv...

What I'm saying, is that there is no room for a second handheld console, especially after smartphone mania.
Unless you mean, that sony could catch the audience that switch ignores due to its price.... Nope, because that audience, wants Pokémon, Mario kart, 3D Mario , MH, e.t.c...

I doubt they have any confidence in handhelds after the Vita. The PS4 is still the king, they should keep focus on that

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

unless sony has already been working on a new portable and is close to being able to release it...

...the window is too short. it takes years to put together a new hardware launch. probably 3 years minimum. 5 if you want to do a good job about it. basically nintendo could replace switch with something else in the same time frame as sony.

so not really much of a window. also dedicated handhelds are increasingly niche as phones and tablets continue to dominate. narrow window and still a high risk project. 3rd parties don't seem interested in handhelds much anymore either so there would be little to no help there.

so no. vita 2 would make me happy but sony would be stupid to do it.

What you will see in the future is a Playstation ecosystem ranging from Pro consoles to handhelds thanks to a unified architecture.

I do expect a digital only PS4 Portable when the innards are miniaturized enough, though that's prolly something beyond 2020.