By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can a company be this out of touch...

Areym said:
If you don't like Zelda, The Switch at launch isn't for you, it's just that simple. I think this will do better numbers than the Wii U but not by a whole lot.

Even if I was a huge Zelda fan, I'd play it on the WiiU.

Fuck. At this rate I might even buy a WiiU.

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
I love how people are complaining about the $300 price tag. I mean, is $50 THAT much more that you can't pay for it? I mean, they charge $60 for new games.

I'll tell you one thing: it won't be fifty dollars that tell wether the system will take off or sink.

It's about the perceived value. Not the price itself. For a console that's vastly inferior (in power) compared to it's competion AND being more expensive than them...it's not looking good. I mean Nintendo fans will still buy it and that'll be it. As far at the handheld part goes - how did the 3ds perform at 250$? Yeah, now imagine selling it at 300.

MohammadBadir said:
Areym said:
If you don't like Zelda, The Switch at launch isn't for you, it's just that simple. I think this will do better numbers than the Wii U but not by a whole lot.

Even if I was a huge Zelda fan, I'd play it on the WiiU.

Fuck. At this rate I might even buy a WiiU.

Shit, you're right, I keep forgetting Zelda is also gonna come out on Wii U. Well played, sneaky nintendo.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
LipeJJ said:
I love how people are complaining about the $300 price tag. I mean, is $50 THAT much more that you can't pay for it? I mean, they charge $60 for new games.

I'll tell you one thing: it won't be fifty dollars that tell wether the system will take off or sink.

It will be to casuals who make or break consoles. if you're a parent and your kid wants a gaming console, why pick up a Switch with a weak lineup and inferior power over a PS4 or XB1 for the same (or lower) price with 3/4 years worth of games? For us, hardcore fans of our respective consoles, $50 is nothing. For casual buyers, might make all the difference.

Are you sure that's how parents shop? I mean, are they aware of hardcore things like power, amount of games, etc? I think they either buy what's cheaper or what their children want... so if the kid wants to play Mario they buy a Nintendo console, but if he/she likes to play CoD, they will buy a PS4/XB1. Besides, parents don't stand for the majority of the market. And like you said, for hardcore gamers $50 mean very little (maybe it can become a 2nd console of choice with that segment, like the Wii).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Areym said:
LipeJJ said:

It will be to casuals who make or break consoles. if you're a parent and your kid wants a gaming console, why pick up a Switch with a weak lineup and inferior power over a PS4 or XB1 for the same (or lower) price with 3/4 years worth of games? For us, hardcore fans of our respective consoles, $50 is nothing. For casual buyers, might make all the difference.

Casuals and kiddies don't give a crap about power. The average person could care less about the difference in power between the Switch, X1 and PS4. That $50 is a far bigger deal to parents than power.

Around the Network
Safiir said:
LipeJJ said:

It's about the perceived value. Not the price itself. For a console that's vastly inferior (in power) compared to it's competion AND being more expensive than them...it's not looking good. I mean Nintendo fans will still buy it and that'll be it. As far at the handheld part goes - how did the 3ds perform at 250$? Yeah, now imagine selling it at 300.

It did ok actually, just not great. Sold 3.5m in 5 months during a weak peroid for sales before having the price cut.

Plus, you're comparing 2011 to 2017. Prices changed quite a bit. 3DS also launched without any meaningful title and stayed like that for months until Ocarina of Time 3D came out... and that was a remake. The first meaningful title 3DS got was Super Mario 3D Land at November, 9 months after launch.

The Switch will already have Zelda at launch, which is Nintendo's most anticipated game ever (even according to themselves). Not to mention what comes after...

I'm not saying it will be a success, but we'll have to wait and see before saying it will do bad. People also said Wii would flop.

Plus, you're wrong about it being more expensive than PS4/X1... unless the regular price of them will drop to $250 by March.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
Areym said:

Are you sure that's how parents shop? I mean, are they aware of hardcore things like power, amount of games, etc? I think they either buy what's cheaper or what their children want... so if the kid wants to play Mario they buy a Nintendo console, but if he/she likes to play CoD, they will buy a PS4/XB1. Besides, parents don't stand for the majority of the market. And like you said, for hardcore gamers $50 mean very little (maybe it can become a 2nd console of choice with that segment, like the Wii).

Fair enough, I'm not a parent, I can't speak for all of them but kids these days know/care very much about Mario, they care about CoD (sadly enough) so the Marios and the Zeldas will only attract the devoted nintendo fans, which is perfectly fine. As far as the power of the console, you're right, casuals do tend to care little about it as we saw with how much the Wii sold, although that sold on the gimmick of motion controls. I think informed shoppers will be swayed towards the PS4/XB1.

As you said, the kid will decide what console he wants and I just don't see enough potential in the Switch to pull kids into it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

LipeJJ said:

It's $300 plus no pack-in game and paid online. I can't justify buying one over a PS4.

i mostly agree. I get paid online. That shit costs money to run so i get charging for it. BUT the fact that it might not even be through the system? Are they going to charge us for a nintendo version of google hangouts? Smart device required???
But yeah, the real criticismn here is another terrible launch lineup. Didn' they say at an investors meeting that the switch didn't release in 2016 because there would be no games? Seems like nothing has changed. They probably should've just waited to release during this coming holiday.

Also, i understand the $300 pricepoing, BUT i think they are dramatically overestimating how much people want to console game on the go. No non-nintendo fanatic is going to buy this over the ps4 or xb1s.