By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can a company be this out of touch...

I think we're all just massively disappointed right now and we should probably give a bit of the ol "benefit of the doubt" before anything else. They have an entire Treehouse presentation tommorrow. however, I agree with some of the issues people have said.

It's entirely dumb that it's 299$. It's ridiculous. The paid online is FINE. you guys are complaining because you're expecting Nintendo to have a bad online, or to have limited third party online games. we don't know if ANY OF THOSE circumstances are true. If they had the reputation of Playstation - no one would care. However, I DO agree that we should be skeptical. But if they have Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokken tournament, and a few third party online games...sorry to say guys but paid online makes sense. They have online games that are huge. Why wouldn't they want to profit on it? I agree that free online would be better becaues we're ALL skeptical of Nintendo's online. THATS WHY ITS FREE till Fall, and EVEN IN FALL you get a free trial for their subscription service.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
LipeJJ said:
I love how people are complaining about the $300 price tag. I mean, is $50 THAT much more that you can't pay for it? I mean, they charge $60 for new games.

I'll tell you one thing: it won't be fifty dollars that tell wether the system will take off or sink.

It's $300 plus no pack-in game and paid online. I can't justify buying one over a PS4.

It's overpriced, yep. The only way to justify it is portability, which is the different factor. And Nintendo games. Not sure if that will be enough.

What conference did you watch? I'm pretty sure at least a third of the conference was all about 3rd party.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think it will outsell the WiiU at least by 2x1 margin, at the worst. If this bombs, it will sell 25 million units.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Why is it ok for there competitors can offer paid online and Nintendo cant? I'm no fan on paying for anything however gamers supporting this with the 360 and now jumped on-board with the PSN. Its us to blame not Nintendo.

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
Safiir said:

It's about the perceived value. Not the price itself. For a console that's vastly inferior (in power) compared to it's competion AND being more expensive than them...it's not looking good. I mean Nintendo fans will still buy it and that'll be it. As far at the handheld part goes - how did the 3ds perform at 250$? Yeah, now imagine selling it at 300.

It did ok actually, just not great. Sold 3.5m in 5 months during a weak peroid for sales before having the price cut.

Plus, you're comparing 2011 to 2017. Prices changed quite a bit. 3DS also launched without any meaningful title and stayed like that for months until Ocarina of Time 3D came out... and that was a remake. The first meaningful title 3DS got was Super Mario 3D Land at November, 9 months after launch.

The Switch will already have Zelda at launch, which is Nintendo's most anticipated game ever (even according to themselves). Not to mention what comes after...

I'm not saying it will be a success, but we'll have to wait and see before saying it will do bad. People also said Wii would flop.

Plus, you're wrong about it being more expensive than PS4/X1... unless the regular price of them will drop to $250 by March.

3ds also launched after the hugely successful nds and while dedicated handhelds were still very much relevant. And even then the price point hurt it.

Even if we disregard the retailer deals (which are constant) the ps4 still comes with a bundled game at 299. So yeah it is cheaper than the switch.

80 third party games are in development.
they hold many, many things

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I think we're all just massively disappointed right now and we should probably give a bit of the ol "benefit of the doubt" before anything else. They have an entire Treehouse presentation tommorrow. however, I agree with some of the issues people have said.

It's entirely dumb that it's 299$. It's ridiculous. The paid online is FINE. you guys are complaining because you're expecting Nintendo to have a bad online, or to have limited third party online games. we don't know if ANY OF THOSE circumstances are true. If they had the reputation of Playstation - no one would care. However, I DO agree that we should be skeptical. But if they have Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokken tournament, and a few third party online games...sorry to say guys but paid online makes sense. They have online games that are huge. Why wouldn't they want to profit on it? I agree that free online would be better becaues we're ALL skeptical of Nintendo's online. THATS WHY ITS FREE till Fall, and EVEN IN FALL you get a free trial for their subscription service.

Unless the Treehouse announces new games it won't change anything.

Paid online is not fine, the quality of it and how many games use it are irrelevant. It's simply a scam that you have to pay to play a game you already bought. It's not okay that Sony and Microsoft do it, and it's not okay for Nintendo either.

Volterra_90 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

It's $300 plus no pack-in game and paid online. I can't justify buying one over a PS4.

It's overpriced, yep. The only way to justify it is portability, which is the different factor. And Nintendo games. Not sure if that will be enough.

They were pretty vague on battery life and we already know it's not pocketable so I have to question it's viability as a portable. On the game front, we're two months from launch yet there are only 2 games (Splatoon n Mario) that interest me on Switch currently, with neither being day 1 titles. That is laughably bad, even Wii U's initial library was more appealing to me.

Yeah this is going to be well over $400 day 1 for most people I'd have to think

$300 - system
$60 - Zelda
$70 - Pro Controller

Einsam_Delphin said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Unless the Treehouse announces new games it won't change anything.

Paid online is not fine, the quality of it and how many games use it are irrelevant. It's simply a scam that you have to pay to play a game you already bought. It's not okay that Sony and Microsoft do it, and it's not okay for Nintendo either.

And I agree with you. I'm a pc gamer mainly. But you know what? Most of the people on this forumn - are making the exception for the competition, and not nintendo. Nintendo is the one that gets the banner. If you h ate ALL paid online for console, go ahead.