By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Karma is being a bi*** to Sweden?

vivster said:
The Fury said:
The word raping doesn't mean the same as what we see it as now, well, the older meaning still exists but the older one is closer to pillaging. Vikings 'raping' was more taking the resources of a place they are invading as part of war.

You sure? I mean when you're already pillaging a village why pass on the raping? Those were men a long time alone on sea and the road.

My statement was slightly off, pillaging is taking the resources, raping is destroying the area. That's why people usually say raping and pillaging in one go. See number 2 of this: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rape

And technically... they weren't alone.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

This isn't retribution for their aggressions in ancient history, it's the consequence of their cowardice in recent history. So, no.

I don't think that's how it works, OP.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

TheWPCTraveler said:

Even ignoring the fact that there are other nations that deserve that more (*cough* Belgian colonial rule *cough* Armenian genocide by the Turks *cough* Germany 7-1 Brazil *cough*), this doesn't make sense.

The Swedes went east, instead of west, into Russian and Finnish lands. It was only a relatively recent development that they were forced west, and they only went as far as to take some clay from Denmark and swallow Norway entirely. Not something I'd wish for the annihilation of a people for, unless the Finns managed to somehow meme this storm up.

Nope, vikings went in all directions, reaching even Americas.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Are you sure it isn't karma for producing PewDiePie!

Around the Network
m0ney said:

Today while reading about rapes and crimes by middle eastern immigrants in Sweden it hit me that it might be carma - in early middle ages vikings were going on tours around europe raping and murdering and a lot of them stayed in the invaded territories just like middle eastern invaders now.

That implies no wrong dueing by said parties that choose those acts... eg. middle eastern immigrants.

That is not the case. Too many muslim with too little respect for others sadly.

TheWPCTraveler said:

Even ignoring the fact that there are other nations that deserve that more (*cough* Belgian colonial rule *cough* Armenian genocide by the Turks *cough* Germany 7-1 Brazil *cough*), this doesn't make sense.

The Swedes went east, instead of west, into Russian and Finnish lands. It was only a relatively recent development that they were forced west, and they only went as far as to take some clay from Denmark and swallow Norway entirely. Not something I'd wish for the annihilation of a people for, unless the Finns managed to somehow meme this storm up.

You're talking about two different things here. Vikings and the kingdom of Sweden. Vikings were the first Europeans to reach American continent and they were raiding also far away towns.

Sweden was one of the world superpowers (if you can call them that hundreds of years ago) at it's prime, but their overseas coloniasation politics ended up failing miserably, eventually ending up colonialising only Finland - until Russia conquered it from Sweden.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

For it to be Karma, it would have to be the actual people who did mean acts receiving the retribution. Swedes haven't done much raping and pillaging of foreign lands in the lifetimes of anyone living there now.

It's probably more a result of letting feminist driven identity politics dictate policy over the past decade or so.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

The vikings on their travels settled in Iceland. They had almost no women as they travelled without them. So they stole woman from Ireland to have kids in Iceland. DNA tests show that almost 100% of Icelanders are decended from an Irish woman.

So yes these acts are far worse than what's happening in Sweden now. Therefore it's not quite karma.