By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Nintendo hatedom go down after the Switch reveal?

Keybladewielder said:

Nah, people will hate regardless of how good is what Nintendo shows. I bet most specs-related hate will continue and the haters will keep making doom threads about how the Switch is dead without western third party support, they will point out even the smallest graphics-related flaws they can find, some Nintendo fans will continue being bitter about how Nintendo is not making another "real" home console, some will say "too many remasters", etc, etc.

How is too many remasters an invalid complaint? Lol 

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
DarkD said:

I thought I explained it pretty well.  Hardcore console gamers thought the Wii was the worst threat to mainstream gaming since the Atari 2600's ET.  For all the reasons I stated before, incredibly profitable mini-game compilations, exercise games, a looming Sony bankruptcy, a looming Microsoft exiting the console industry.  

Wii U was the immediate successor to the Wii and even kept part of the originals name.  It was the perfect target for the hatred and rage gamers felt at the time.  

All of that was explained in my initial post in longer form....

As in explain what any of that has to do with the Switch and you being shocked a good looking product isn't getting hate. Plus honestly, some of your reasons for Wii being hated (since when btw, I've seen far more hate for Wii U) don't make sense to me. Nintendo has nothing to do with Sony's dumb mistakes or Microsoft leaving videogames which didn't even happen. Hating Nintendo for temporarily making certain types of games is also pretty weak when they (and everyone else) were still making traditional games. I think it's just the irrational people that hate Nintendo no matter what who hated the Wii for those reasons, and they'll hate on the Switch aswell. Reasonable people would atleast give the Switch a chance so it makes sense to me that they aren't hating on it, atleast not yet!

Well, I was around for the Wii U around this time in it's life cycle and people were ranting and raving how horrible everything was going to be like no tomorrow.  As I said before, the Switch's reception has been downright pleasent by comparison.  People couldn't stop talking about how everything was going to be a mini-game compilation and how the graphics weren't even going to be on par with the PS3 and how the name was the worst thing ever.  They literally complained about everything.  

I'm kinda assuming you were present during the Wii generation and up to date on how the life-cycle progressed.  Microsoft and Sony both make those horrible mistakes on their own, but Nintendo capitalized on it with a console that gamers absolutely detested.  No it wasn't Nintendo's fault Microsoft and Sony made those mistakes, but I do believe that Nintendo was blamed for it nonetheless.  Logically, Nintendo really wasn't that bad, but I guess you weren't there.  People blamed Nintendo for everything that generation.  It's like politics, in hindsight things seem obvious, when it's actually happening though, it's a freaking mess.  

The other stuff I said after that was explaining why there's such a difference in reception.  As far as things to complain about go, the only thing Nintendo is really fixing on the list of complaints is the name, but the hate is almost non-existent.  Clearly the hate was exaggerated for the Wii U.  I honestly don't think the Switch is that much better of a console.  

What hatedom? I see only incredible love, absurd hype building, and wishful thinking about the prospects of the system. I also don't venture much out of VGC, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

What alot of haters dont understand is Nintendo make a good amount of money and play it very safe for there own future. If they were bleeding money heavily or selling buildings ill be worried. Instead they just opened up a couple themeparks.
If gamers want another of the same console as Xbox or PS than they should just simply buy those consoles instead.
I enjoy Nintendo games not the hardware its played on. Innovations build creations.

Einsam_Delphin said:
bdbdbd said:

I misread your comment on the second screen, you weren't writing the Switch port off.

No, you don't have to use dual analog with the gyro, it works better without it.

Yes, Wii Remote+Nunchuck would work much better than the current methods available. There is no Wii Remote+Nunchuck option because nobody cared to put it there - if you read the Iwata asks, it's pretty clear nobody ever considered the option. How many inputs you need in Splatoon? You need jump, dive, shoot (1st weapon, 2nd weapon), move, aim. On Wii Remote+nunchuck you have a total of ten buttons, analog stick, pointer and two motion controllers available. Pointer aiming do not require a valibration button, unlike motion controls.

Metroid Prime isn't multiplayer game, but it had it's fair share of fast-paced action. Water Warfare is Hudsons shooter (with online multiplayer when Wii still had online, and my most playr online shooter ever) and Onslaught is Hudsons arcade FPS (it had online competetive mode) - and all are atleast as fast paced as Splatoon. I find it ironic to promote dual analog at the same time calling Wii Remote controls slow.

So, what do you think is Switch's standard control method? I mean, you can play with just one mini-controller. 

Oh I think I know what you mean, yeah Splatoon for Switch will not have a second screen so it wont play the same. Doesn't mean the game will be anymore Wiimote friendly though, especially since no second screen likely means the game will use more of the controller's buttons.

Nah you kinda have to, otherwise you can't move and would run into a similar problem as the Wiimote, being slow turning of the camera.

They'd work better because... you say so? Just saying so doesn't change the camera issues and lack of inputs. I doubt the developers really didn't think about it considering Nintendo generally includes as many control options as possible in their games, but eh doesn't matter either way. You need a screen on the controller, which Wiimotes don't have. I could just leave it at that, but also Wiimote+Nunchuck would fit every button except for one, as the 1 and 2 buttons aren't viable inputs. There's main weapon, sub weapon, special weapon, squid form, jump, and center camera, 6 actions that need to be immediately accessible, but MoteChuck set-up only has 5 inputs that fit the bill, being A, B, C, Z, and maybe down on the D-pad but that's a stretch.

Ironic or not, dual analog is better for camera control. With the Wiimote you have to point at the edges of the screen before the camera starts to turn, that's simply slower than tilting a stick for immediate effect.

Switch's primariy controls will just be the same as every system besides the Wii. They already showed BotW, Skyrim, and Splatoon, games that can't be played on a single controller attachment.

You know, I'm to trying to have an actual discussion here. Throwing around "not enough buttons" and "but the touch screen" isn't really helping. 

There are enough buttons. You can use + and - as well as all 4 directions on the D-pad. If you think up is too far, there's still 3 available. This is especially interesting, as the two docked mini-controllers have less accessible buttons than Wii Remote and Nunchuck.

You don't need to recalibrate the pointer on the Wii Remote, you only need to recalibrate the motion controller on gamepad/Remote Plus.

I already have played shooters like Splatoon using WR+N, and know how the controls work. If they didn't work, I wouldn't be saying here they'd work. If you compare to the dual analog, you need to turn the camera until the target is at the center of the screen, that is slower than shooting something at the edge of the screen while turning.

No, Nintendo isn't using all the control options possible. Only the games that have multiplayer that has 3rd and 4th players using Wii Remote as their controllers, are the games that can be played with "all" the controllers. I believe only Mario Kart and Smash Bros actually give you all the methods. Anyway, just pointing out, that Splatoon is a bad example of a game where developers  "surely couldn't think of a method" when the only controller you can play it with is the gamepad anyway. The only reason for the lack of control options is the lack of interest from the developers.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
DarkD said:

Well, I was around for the Wii U around this time in it's life cycle and people were ranting and raving how horrible everything was going to be like no tomorrow.  As I said before, the Switch's reception has been downright pleasent by comparison.  People couldn't stop talking about how everything was going to be a mini-game compilation and how the graphics weren't even going to be on par with the PS3 and how the name was the worst thing ever.  They literally complained about everything.  

I'm kinda assuming you were present during the Wii generation and up to date on how the life-cycle progressed.  Microsoft and Sony both make those horrible mistakes on their own, but Nintendo capitalized on it with a console that gamers absolutely detested.  No it wasn't Nintendo's fault Microsoft and Sony made those mistakes, but I do believe that Nintendo was blamed for it nonetheless.  Logically, Nintendo really wasn't that bad, but I guess you weren't there.  People blamed Nintendo for everything that generation.  It's like politics, in hindsight things seem obvious, when it's actually happening though, it's a freaking mess.  

The other stuff I said after that was explaining why there's such a difference in reception.  As far as things to complain about go, the only thing Nintendo is really fixing on the list of complaints is the name, but the hate is almost non-existent.  Clearly the hate was exaggerated for the Wii U.  I honestly don't think the Switch is that much better of a console.  

I don't recall much hate towards Wii U prior to launch, wasn't until after the gamepad turned out to be meh, constant droughts, and low quality games that even reasonable people started ragging on it. I can see where you're coming from now though, since if the irrational peeps hated on prior systems why not the Switch aswell? I can assure you that they are, and there are plenty of reasonable people who also have concerns. Too early to say if the Switch is overall better than Wii U, but I think in concept it definitely is. Portability has long been proven to be desireable, and the unified library should prevent droughts. Have to wait and see how the execution goes.

No, it won't. There are some rational complains about Nintendo, but the irrational ones won't never dissapear. Not that I care too much, I'll buy the Switch and my plan is, obviously, enjoying it.

bdbdbd said:

*Your post has really big text for some reason*

Yeah I bet it would help if I didn't make valid points lolz!

Start and Select are pretty much never used for actions, which is good because those buttons are usually gimped, small and out of place, but you know whatever, I'll just drop the buttons point so that maybe you'll stop dodging the lack of a second screen. Also, bar single joycon, all Switch control set-ups have the same inputs as the gamepad, minus the screen of course. I'm also not sure why you keep bringing up the Switch when I'm talking about Splatoon on Wii U and why Wiimotes don't work for it.

I never said anything about recalibration...

Having slightly faster aiming doesn't outweigh having significantly slower turning, because it means whenever an enemy is West East or South of you, you'll likely be dead before you can even turn to face them, or they'll just keep maneuvering outside of your view. The game is too fast paced for such controls to be viable.

I'm still gonna believe it's cause they know it wouldn't work and were just too lazy to explain exactly why. :L

Einsam_Delphin said:

bdbdbd said:

*Your post has really big text for some reason*

Yeah I bet it would help if I didn't make valid points lolz!

Start and Select are pretty much never used for actions, which is good because those buttons are usually gimped, small and out of place, but you know whatever, I'll just drop the buttons point so that maybe you'll stop dodging the lack of a second screen. Also, bar single joycon, all Switch control set-ups have the same inputs as the gamepad, minus the screen of course. I'm also not sure why you keep bringing up the Switch when I'm talking about Splatoon on Wii U and why Wiimotes don't work for it.

I never said anything about recalibration...

Having slightly faster aiming doesn't outweigh having significantly slower turning, because it means whenever an enemy is West East or South of you, you'll likely be dead before you can even turn to face them, or they'll just keep maneuvering outside of your view. The game is too fast paced for such controls to be viable.

I'm still gonna believe it's cause they know it wouldn't work and were just too lazy to explain exactly why. :L

Play some shooters on Wii before saying that turning is slower. At least watch Conduit on youtube or something. Wii pointer is faster and more cohesive because it flows more at your speed than being at the mercy of dual analog turning. Plus, you can adjust the controls in some games to make the whole aiming mechanic, "bouncing box" and dual analog cannot compare. It is not an argument. Dual analog is more popular, but it is in only better than pointer controls in one way: stability. The issue with pointer controls is that they can be interfered easily by any uv light source (sunlight) or by physical barrier. Get it together. 

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I like Splatoon (GamePad) pointing better than both Wiimote and dual analog. Go figure.

The GamePad aiming was great because your arm can be at basically any angle and you don't need to "wave" the controller around, just move in subtly and augmented with the analog stick, the precision feels fantastic.