By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mass Effect Producer Says There's No Plan to Bring Mass Effect Andromeda to Switch

fleischr said:
Mr Puggsly said:

ME3 on Wii U felt pointless given you couldn't play the rest of the series.

However, the primary reason I'd like to see it on Switch is so there is a portable version. Story driven stuff like that works well on portable devices.

I played ME3 on WiiU. I skipped ME 1&2. The in-game comic did do a good job getting you invested in decisions and plot points of the first two games. Maybe not ideal - but good enough for someone like me who wanted to simply try out the series for the first time.

The 2nd screen features were the real winner though. Very interesting and well-implemented. Gives a welcome extra dimension of strategy, combat, and exploration. I'd like to see these same features reimplemented in ME1&2 and even Andromeda if possible.

Tantalus could probably do the port if given enough time, but if they can't find a way to get Andromeda to work - it's probably not worth doing at all.

Not to mention - there's probably some higher-potential projects Tantalus should do on Switch.

I forgot about those comic things, I want to try those out given they should be on 360 as well.

Its hard to justify scaling a game back for Switch unless it has the potential to do really well. So at the very least I'd like to see some 7th gen ports given the hardware capabilities and many were never on portable devices.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
The Switch could not handle that game anyway. Maybe it gets the Mass Effect Trilogy with all DLC. That would be cool.

bananaking21 said:

i doubt switch can handle it. but isnt this old news?

Barkley said:
Duh. No power hungry game will be going anywhere near the Switch. Red Dead, GTA, The Witcher, Dragon Age, Cyberpunk. None of them.

What Mass Effect Producer said disprove all what you wrote:

"Yeah, not right now, no. We're not planning on it. If the Switch launches and everyone's just yammering for Mass Effect, who knows. We never want to close doors like that."

If Switch cant handle game they would just say that, instead they said they don't planning it for now and that they dont want to close door for Switch version.

etking said:
The switch is already dead because Nintendo repeats all of the Wii-U problems.

Extremely weak hardware
No real 3rd party support, mostly ports of Android games
Stupid design with an expensive tablet controller again which you cannot actually use when playing on TV.

The system is no real mobile gaming system because it only lasts for 3 hours. And it is no real console because it uses weak mobile gaming hardware.

Almost whole your post doesn't have anything with reality.

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:
The Switch could not handle that game anyway. Maybe it gets the Mass Effect Trilogy with all DLC. That would be cool.

bananaking21 said:

i doubt switch can handle it. but isnt this old news?

Barkley said:
Duh. No power hungry game will be going anywhere near the Switch. Red Dead, GTA, The Witcher, Dragon Age, Cyberpunk. None of them.

"Yeah, not right now, no. We're not planning on it. If the Switch launches and everyone's just yammering for Mass Effect, who knows. We never want to close doors like that."

If Switch cant handle game they would just say that, instead they said they don't planning it for now, but they don't want to close door for Switch version.

Technically he didn't say anything about "Mass Effect Andromeda" ... that could easily mean EA would consider bring Mass Effect ... from the PS3/360 to the Switch if there was enough demand for it. 

In either case we'll probably never know since there won't likely be enough of a out cry for this franchise to be on Switch period. 

Was not terribly interested in this franchise. As for putting the old ME games that have already sold through to their target audience years ago... I don't think they'll sell well.

The Switch needs new titles, not old ones released years ago.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

If Switch cant handle game they would just say that, instead they said they don't planning it for now, but they don't want to close door for Switch version.

Technically he didn't say anything about "Mass Effect Andromeda" ... that could easily mean EA would consider bring Mass Effect ... from the PS3/360 to the Switch if there was enough demand for it. 

In either case we'll probably never know since there won't likely be enough of a out cry for this franchise to be on Switch period. 

Wrong, he was asked about Mass Effect Andromeda and he answered about that game, its very clear he is talking about same game:

Michael Gamble—a producer for Mass Effect—recently spoke a bit with Stevivor on the upcoming game, clarifying certain details, such as which platforms the game would be releasing for. Unfortunately, Switch was not included in that list. Here's what he had to say:

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Wrong, he was asked about Mass Effect Andromeda and he answered about that game, its very clear he is talking about same game:

Michael Gamble—a producer for Mass Effect—recently spoke a bit with Stevivor on the upcoming game, clarifying certain details, such as which platforms the game would be releasing for. Unfortunately, Switch was not included in that list. Here's what he had to say:

Just my general thoughts on your overall stance on this issue -- I think you're going to be dissapointed in how the Switch multiplat issue plays out in reality.

You're putting an awful lot of money on a horse that probably doesn't want to run. 

Not a knock, I just don't see this ending well given what we already know. If I'm wrong, hey great, but I don't think so. It'll get some cool Western multiplats initially sure, but they'll probably look worse than you are expecting, and they will probably sell even worse than that. 

The big "get" that I think should focus that they probably have a decent shot of getting is that Final Fantasy VII Remake. If they can get that on top of DQXI, that's not bad. Throw in the odd Assassins Creed, FIFA, NBA 2K, and Batman on top of that ... I mean it's no PS4, but those are some decent IPs.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Just my general thoughts on your overall stance on this issue -- I think you're going to be dissapointed in how the Switch multiplat issue plays out in reality.

You're putting an awful lot of money on a horse that probably doesn't want to run. 

Not a knock, I just don't see this ending well given what we already know. If I'm wrong, hey great, but I don't think so. It'll get some cool multiplats initially sure, but they'll probably look worse than you are expecting, and they will probably sell even worse than that. 

You going for some wild assumptions while you have very clear statement in front of you about this matter.

I dont put any money on any horse at all, I bringing very clear fact and answer to people who saying that Switch cant run this game when Mass Effect Producer disprove them in same sentence where he saying there is no currently Switch version of game.

Switch is able to run every downscaled/downgraded versions of XB1/PS4 games, but of course doesn't mean that Switch will receive every port of XB1/PS4 games.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Not a knock, I just don't see this ending well given what we already know. If I'm wrong, hey great, but I don't think so. It'll get some cool multiplats initially sure, but they'll probably look worse than you are expecting, and they will probably sell even worse than that. 

You going for some wild assumptions while you have very clear statement in front of you about this matter.

I dont put any money on any horse at all, I bringing very clear fact and answer to people who saying that Switch cant run this game when Mass Effect Producer disprove them in same sentence where he saying there is no currently Switch version of game.

Switch is able to run every downscaled/downgraded versions of XB1/PS4 games, but of course doesn't mean that Switch will receive every port of XB1/PS4 games.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. 

We don't know that. As a matter of fact I think the main reason why the Switch does not (apparently) run at full clock even while docked is for a very good reason. 

Some games may be able to be ported, some games may not be able to be ported, some games may require to be built specifically for the Switch to run. 

Getting a game to run on a 5 watt device that was made to run on a 60 watt system at minimum is not an easy task even if you have similar engines. An iPhone 6 has Unreal Engine 4 too, that doesn't mean you can get all the XBox One/PS4 Unreal Engine 4 games running on it. 

I think this was already a problem Nintendo ran into even getting Switch games to run on the same exact chip, just at different power envelopes, I think they ran into a problem in that the full clock Tegra X1 is too much more powerful than the acceptable 5 watt portable mode limit. So the balance the system they were forced to take the Tegra X1 and downclock it to 768 MHz even for docked mode. 

The reason being is it keeps a smaller 2.5 to 1 ratio from undocked to docked mode, there's no reason to gimp the docked version of the Switch otherwise, especially because they have the fan in there to boot. But they had to downclock the docked mode because it was too much for the undocked mode to keep up with. 

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

We don't know that. As a matter of fact I think the main reason why the Switch does not (apparently) run at full clock even while docked is for a very good reason. 

Some games may be able to be ported, some games may not be able to be ported, some games may require to be built specifically for the Switch to run. 

Getting a game to run on a 5 watt device that was made to run on a 60 watt system at minimum is not an easy task even if you have similar engines. An iPhone 6 has Unreal Engine 4 too, that doesn't mean you can get all the XBox One/PS4 Unreal Engine 4 games running on it. 

I think this was already a problem Nintendo ran into even getting Switch games to run on the same exact chip, just at different power envelopes, I think they ran into a problem in that the full clock Tegra X1 is too much more powerful than the acceptable 5 watt portable mode limit. So the balance the system they were forced to take the Tegra X1 and downclock it to 768 MHz even for docked mode. 

The reason being is it keeps a smaller 2.5 to 1 ratio from undocked to docked mode, there's no reason to gimp the docked version of the Switch otherwise, especially because they have the fan in there to boot. But they had to downclock the docked mode because it was too much for the undocked mode to keep up with. 

Of Course we know that, devs can make PS4 game running on PS3 if they want, you have Tomb Raider Rising (thats full next gen game) running on XB1 and Xbox360, and for instance Wii received Xbox360/PS3 port of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. And Switch is much closer with tech/architecture and power to XB1/PS4 than Xbox360 is or Wii was to PS3/Xbox360, so your point about 5 watt device means nothing. Evre game can be ported to almost any platform, at end of day, all comes to money, if they devs think it will paidof porting game to some some platform. Like producer of Mass Effect Andromeda already stated, if they were certain that game would have solid sales of Switch we would have Switch version of game already, but for now they leave open door for that.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Of Course we know that, devs can make PS4 game running on PS3 if they want, you have Tomb Raider Rising (thats full next gen game) running on XB1 and Xbox360, and for instance Wii received Xbox360/PS3 port of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. And Switch is much closer with tech/architecture and power to XB1/PS4 than Xbox360 is or Wii was to PS3/Xbox360, so your point about 5 watt device means nothing. Evre game can be ported to almost any platform, at end of day, all comes to money, if they devs think it will paidof porting game to some some platform. Like producer of Mass Effect Andromeda already stated, if they were certain that game would have solid sales of Switch we would have Switch version of game already, but for now they leave open door for that.

OK, sure, yeah if you're using that liberal of definition, then sure. I mean you could have Mass Effect Andromeda on the 3DS even.