By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I think Nintendo Switch is set for another Wii U disaster.

The looks of the hardware are one of the most important things that can influence the hardware sales. The Gamecube and the Wii U gamepad are good examples of that. They both looks like Fisher Price...

Around the Network

12th12th12th

Switch!!!

Ventura said:
It'll fail for sure, people are tired of the gimmicks.

It'll be another console with the same games yet again, the same Mario's, Donkey Kongs and Zelda's. It'll get third party support for a while but everyone will just buy that version on PS4 or Xbox One and so eventually third party support will stop and it'll just fade away.

It'll be another GameCube or Wii U. The Wii was just a lucky exception that was nothing more than a fad.

Portability is not a gimmick...  It's a functionality !

Play on go is a big market...  Just with pokemon,  Nintendo will sell 10 millions of Switch...  

But Switch speaks to all kind of gamers,  not only Nintendo fans... 

Switch gives us what xboxone or ps4 can't...  

And we go take more in face in 9 days... 

It will be the most powerful handheld mobile console and cheap. It will be a sucess.

Ventura said:
It'll fail for sure, people are tired of the gimmicks.

It'll be another console with the same games yet again, the same Mario's, Donkey Kongs and Zelda's. It'll get third party support for a while but everyone will just buy that version on PS4 or Xbox One and so eventually third party support will stop and it'll just fade away.

It'll be another GameCube or Wii U. The Wii was just a lucky exception that was nothing more than a fad.

Do you even know what a gimmick is? It's a special feature for the sake of a special feature, that does not describe Switch because the concept has an actual purpose, just like Wii.

Wait, so PS4 & XBO aren't consoles with the same games yet again? Call of Duty, Battlefield, Madden, FIFA, NBA 2K, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Halo, Gears, Uncharted, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Star Wars Battlefront, The Witcher, Skyrim, Souls, Batman Arkham, Need for Speed, Mortal Kombat, Just Cause, Mafia, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein, Ratchet & Clank, Doom, Tomb Raider, Thief, Dead Rising, Forza, etc.

Dont get me wrong, PS4/XBO do have a handful of big, new IP like Destiny, Watch Dogs, The Division, Titanfall, Overwatch, etc. but lets not pretend like Nintendo platforms dont have any quality, new IP like Splatoon, Tomodachi, Yokai Watch, Fantasy Life, Captain Toad, etc.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Akeos said:

Portability is not a gimmick...  It's a functionality !

Don't you know??? Anything that isn't a powerful console with a standard dual-analog controller and caters to the shooter/sports/action genres is a gimmick!!!!!

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well, I'm more leaning towards a middling success. Around 30M-60M LT, depending on price. Most core gamers won't care, as they are satisfied with the much more powerful PS4 and XBO. If they want to play an occasional mobile game, their phone/tablet will do just fine. Casuals will have just gotten $50-$150 tablets for Xmas that'll play any mobile game they wish. I think they're going to be turned off by the $249+ price Nintendo is probably going to be asking for this thing. If they do launch at that price, I see more in the ~30-40M range. If they can actually sell it for $199, then it'll be closer to 60M.

thismeintiel said:
Well, I'm more leaning towards a middling success. Around 30M-60M LT, depending on price. Most core gamers won't care, as they are satisfied with the much more powerful PS4 and XBO.

I agree, the Switch isn't going to sway anyone from the PS4/XBO crowd, it's going to appeal to a different audience for the most part. Nintendo Fans and whatever market it can carve out for itself.

50 Million is a good target.

thismeintiel said:
Well, I'm more leaning towards a middling success. Around 30M-60M LT, depending on price. Most core gamers won't care, as they are satisfied with the much more powerful PS4 and XBO. If they want to play an occasional mobile game, their phone/tablet will do just fine. Casuals will have just gotten $50-$150 tablets for Xmas that'll play any mobile game they wish. I think they're going to be turned off by the $249+ price Nintendo is probably going to be asking for this thing. If they do launch at that price, I see more in the ~30-40M range. If they can actually sell it for $199, then it'll be closer to 60M.

I think it'll sell closer to 60 million (of course that can change depending on how the mobile market contines to evolve and how Nintendo executes), but I think largely you're right. 

It's not great as a home console, there are far better options in the PS4/XB1 for that which are going to be similarily priced with better third party support and better versions of said third party games. PS4/XB1 will almost certainly see price drops to $249.99 permamanently next year. 

The question is do people even really want to play really complex games on the go? Smartphone games are getting a bit more complex themselves, and I think for a lot of people that's "good enough" for the 15-20 minutes a day they might have to play a video game outside the house. At home they'll have their PS4 or XB1, which also already have thousands of games already available for each and will likely have a large advantage in developer support going forward as well. 

maxleresistant said:
Goodnightmoon said:

But you are ridiculously blind probably because of the opposite reason, no one is saying Switch looks specially cheap quite the opposite, you are the exception for very good reasons, in the first set of images the worst looking of them all by far is the 2nd, Switch looks sexy the second is the one that looks like a transformer made by some chinese company, and on the other set, are you really saying to me that the Switch one does not look way better and way less cheap than the other 2? Switch doesnt look like cheap plastic like the Wii or WiiU at all, open your damn eyes.

The Wii and WiiU didn't look cheap at all, they had a slick finish, the wii console was the most beautiful console of its gen.

The Switch with its matte plastic and grey and black colors is a mistake that I thought Nintendo would never made. I would have excused one or the other, but the both together...

Like I said, it may be sexy for a 16 yo gamer like you. But for the general public, and for people with taste, it looks cheap AF.

Im 26 years old not 16, you are not representing the general public at all though, you think you are but you are not, you are the first person I hear to say it looks cheap, the consensus I have been seeing so far is that it looks way less cheap than previous Nintendo homeconsoles and something that can be easier to seell to adults. You are seeing everything the other way for some reason.