By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I think Nintendo Switch is set for another Wii U disaster.

50/50. I need more info to make a decision.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

Switch is portable hardware and a portable chipset ... comparing it directly to past Nintendo home-only consoles doesn't make much sense to me.

Nintendo is likely never releasing hardware that features a home-centric CPU/GPU ever again. Those days are over. 

You're going to get mobile centric "consoles" from now on and if that fails then Nintendo will make games for other platforms like they are already doing with iOS/Android. Simple as that. 

Goodnightmoon said:

But you are ridiculously blind probably because of the opposite reason, no one is saying Switch looks specially cheap quite the opposite, you are the exception for very good reasons, in the first set of images the worst looking of them all by far is the 2nd, Switch looks sexy the second is the one that looks like a transformer made by some chinese company, and on the other set, are you really saying to me that the Switch one does not look way better and way less cheap than the other 2? Switch doesnt look like cheap plastic like the Wii or WiiU at all, open your damn eyes.

The Wii and WiiU didn't look cheap at all, they had a slick finish, the wii console was the most beautiful console of its gen.

The Switch with its matte plastic and grey and black colors is a mistake that I thought Nintendo would never made. I would have excused one or the other, but the both together...

Like I said, it may be sexy for a 16 yo gamer like you. But for the general public, and for people with taste, it looks cheap AF.

maxleresistant said:
Goodnightmoon said:

But you are ridiculously blind probably because of the opposite reason, no one is saying Switch looks specially cheap quite the opposite, you are the exception for very good reasons, in the first set of images the worst looking of them all by far is the 2nd, Switch looks sexy the second is the one that looks like a transformer made by some chinese company, and on the other set, are you really saying to me that the Switch one does not look way better and way less cheap than the other 2? Switch doesnt look like cheap plastic like the Wii or WiiU at all, open your damn eyes.

The Wii and WiiU didn't look cheap at all, they had a slick finish, the wii console was the most beautiful console of its gen.

The Switch with its matte plastic and grey and black colors is a mistake that I thought Nintendo would never made. I would have excused one or the other, but the both together...

Like I said, it may be sexy for a 16 yo gamer like you. But for the general public, and for people with taste, it looks cheap AF.

..i actually  think  the  switch  looks qui nice... And i'am  30

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

The Switch is clearly designed to appeal to a wide audience visually. It's not a childish design but I expect to see colour variants of it later. I'd have no shame taking a Switch on a train or plane its good looking technology.

Around the Network
oniyide said:

That stuff is great, but it doesnt mean anything if no one wants to make games for it, which they didnt and now here we are. The benefits didnt outweigh the costs.

Well. Mobile has obviously been a bright spot for carts, to say no one wants to make games for carts isn't an accurate assumption.
Nintendo obviously agrees considering the Switch will also use carts.

oniyide said:

Naw, a major platform maker selling sub 25mil for a mainstream system is not okay. GC did like 9mil more than WiiU thats in the same ballpark of a bomb.

We will have to agree to disagree. :P

The difference with the Wii U and Gamecube is that the Wii U's processing technology isn't going to be repurposed.
Which is why the Wii could play Gamecube games, which saved on R&D, making the financial position of the Gamecube a little more enviable as those costs got recouped in the generation that came after.

Plus the Gamecube had a game attachment rate of 9.59 verses the Wii U's 5.01, which makes the gamecube a far more profitable machine for every console sold.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

bonzobanana said:
The Switch is clearly designed to appeal to a wide audience visually. It's not a childish design but I expect to see colour variants of it later. I'd have no shame taking a Switch on a train or plane its good looking technology.

Indeed. The design works better then the 3DS' who was not to tech-like.

Adults use the slick, dark one and any kids will likely style theirs with colorfull Joycons, which can even be bundle with the games. Win for Win. It works for a wide audience that way.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Yeah, that is part of the DS Lite success, it looked like something you wouldn't be embarrassed about due to a childish design.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

zorg1000 said:
ICStats said:

But don't you think it's relevant when talking about success or disaster?

Say hypothetically Switch sells 60 million.  That would be a respectable success as a console business, but it would be a disaster as Nintendo's console + portable combined business.

Certainly, obviously if Switch has a big decline from 3DS+Wii U than that would be very bad

Thats different from what I said though.

Switch will be succesful or not depending on the profit it generates and the brand position in the market, I think is not comparable with past consoles userbases.

It'll fail for sure, people are tired of the gimmicks.

It'll be another console with the same games yet again, the same Mario's, Donkey Kongs and Zelda's. It'll get third party support for a while but everyone will just buy that version on PS4 or Xbox One and so eventually third party support will stop and it'll just fade away.

It'll be another GameCube or Wii U. The Wii was just a lucky exception that was nothing more than a fad.