By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch ads already in stores

Soundwave said:

It's kinda pointless to compare to a PS4/XB1, those are different types of products, Switch is for the person who plays a lot on the go/portably, as such its main audience appeal will be to 3DS owners.

The trick is going to be whether or not that crowd is willing to pay $250-$300 for a more premium type of portable that can also be played on the TV.

PS4/XB1 will drop to $249.99 full time next year, that's just inevitable. 

We have to compare. Nintendo is calling this their home console.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
Soundwave said:

It's kinda pointless to compare to a PS4/XB1, those are different types of products, Switch is for the person who plays a lot on the go/portably, as such its main audience appeal will be to 3DS owners.

The trick is going to be whether or not that crowd is willing to pay $250-$300 for a more premium type of portable that can also be played on the TV.

PS4/XB1 will drop to $249.99 full time next year, that's just inevitable. 

For marketing reasons, and that they want to sell $60 games on it. 

For the actual market, it is basically a system for a person who likes either Nintendo franchises greatly or likes to play on the go. 

It's not a competitor directly to the PS4/XB1 anymore than 3DS was. 

Soundwave said:
bunchanumbers said:

For the actual market, it is basically a system for a person who likes either Nintendo franchises greatly or likes to play on the go. 

According to Nintendo it is on par to PS4 and Xbox One. They are labeling it in that direct market.

What if BoTW is a launch title on the Switch, but comes out later on the WiiU? I think Nintendo did this with Twilight Princess.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

bunchanumbers said:
Soundwave said:

According to Nintendo it is on par to PS4 and Xbox One. They are labeling it in that direct market.

Should be noted Nintendo Japan does not refer to the system as a home console, only the foreign divisions do. 

Taking Nintendo's PR literally is often counter productive it would be like saying the Nintendo DS is not a successor to the GBA because Nintendo chose to call it a "third pillar". 

Around the Network
AZWification said:

What if BoTW is a launch title on the Switch, but comes out later on the WiiU? I think Nintendo did this with Twilight Princess.

That would seem like a final FU to Wii U owners who don't buy a Switch at launch to me. But Nintendo is unpredictable as ever.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

AZWification said:

That's going to happen. I'm fully expecting there to be about a two week gap between the two in favor of the Switch version.

pretty promising regarding Zelda being a launch title then IMO, very rare for a company to post in store ads with the system playing a game that isn't available on launch 

Soundwave said:

Zelda's importance is overstated. It won't be there at launch and it doesn't really need to be.

People are sleeping on Splatoon here big time too. IMO that game is more important. Had the Wii U had a "normal" life cycle and both Splatoon and Zelda been Wii U titles, I have little doubt Splatoon would've outsold Zelda. It would've sold 2+ million in Japan alone. 

would bet with you on that, not sure I can think of one example of the history of game consoles where the ONE game in store advertised on posters/adverts with the system was not either a launch title or almost immediately after launch

and you're probably wrong, Zelda's attach rate is actually pretty damn good on a number of the Nintendo systems. bear in mind arguably Nintendo's better IP's did marginally great on the Wii U because since there was a lack of software those who had the system pretty much always were picking up the  big titles (I.e. why Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Smash, all have superb attach numbers).

I mean Mario Maker sold as well as Splatoon I'm pretty sure, and I think it would be absurd to expect Zelda not to do better than Mario Maker.

Also obviously an Open World Zelda brings in a LOT MORE gamers as open world games are hot with so many age ranges these days

bunchanumbers said:
This needs to sell for $199. Its the magic number that will make people jump. If they are pushing for $299 when Xbox One is selling for $229 and PS4 is selling for $249 then it will be ignored by the populace at large.

you're kind of off base there. for like the last 2 weeks there has been a 3DS shortage (even after xmas) and people have been paying like 150-200$ ONLINE for USED 3DS systems.

Some of you underestimate the massive demand for a handheld Nintendo console. the 3DS is old yet still selling as well as last year. The Switch being both a handheld and somewhat home console will bring in more people than the 3DS did, obviously

the point is if people after Christmas are buying USED 3DS's out of the box for like 150$ +++ then obviously it would be dumb to sell the Switch at anywhere near that price. 

300$ is a great pricepoint and arguably 250$ is wayyyy way reasonable. I will point out that the Vita with the memory card and things will still cost someone like 250$. some of you are just delusional on price points.  The Switch will probably be like 2x or more the power of the Vita, and massively the most powerful DEDICATED handheld device ever (dedicated).The reality is low end TABLETS that basically just browse the internet and run a few basic apps often cost like 100-200$, and good ones far over 250$.

The point I'm making is I'm not quite sure what some of you expect. a competitive handheld gaming system that is vastly better than the 3DS and Vita is never going to be 200$. It doesn't need to be. Some of you clearly have not been shopping in other electronics departments, you can get practically nothing under 200$ these days that's half decent except low end phones