By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unexpected game of the year? (for you)

For me it'd have to be the division. Over 35 days of logged playtime and the gameplay formula feels very next gen to me. Seamless online drop in/out integration, PVP in the form of a giant map where you fight for some of the rarest gear and now a new survival mode that expands that map to the overworld while throwing in actual survival elements - you and your team are crash landed in New York during a blizzard and need to find an antidote while staving off hunger, thirst, and hypothermia. But all you start out with is a pistol and no gear, and you have to craft everything from scratch. The shooting mechanics themselves are unique to Ubisoft but also responsive and rewarding to handle, and there is seriously no better feeling than going manhunt with a team while the rest of the server (24 players per server) is trying to take you down. I put this game down when new releases come out, and I try to diversify the game I play but it's really really hard to not keep coming back.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy XV.

While I'm not dying for it, it certainly is a good-great game and surpassed my expectations. The only problem is traveling around the world becomes a hurdle sometimes. But it's still my "surprise" goty.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

It's still Uncharted 2 simply because nothing else I've played had that timeless, "I'll be playing this years from now" feel.... But then, neither did Uncharted 4. It was just really pretty, polished, and detailed.

I think Forza Horizon 3 would be that game, simply because the first two were so good but damn. Who has time for all of that content? And why would I play it years from now when Forza Horizon 8 would be on shelves?

Shenran Kagura Estival Versus was surprisingly good, though. Final Fantasy XV should be satisfying, too. I just started it last night.

WoFF
FFXV is the biggest dissapointment for me but I always hoped it wouldnt be.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
WoFF
FFXV is the biggest dissapointment for me but I always hoped it wouldnt be.

Such a fantastic surprising game from the end of 2016, just 12 hours into it so far but loving the tongue in cheek humour and how beautiful the game looks on the Vita.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
onionberry said:
celador said:
Overwatch

I really hadn't been following it before release, and I bought it because I wanted something to play and it reviewed well.

I've never been really into multiplayer games, so spending 250 hours already on a MP-only game in about 7 months is pretty incredible for me

I really wanna play overwatch but like you I'm not into multiplayer games. But I really like the art style, characters and trailers, so If I'm going to buy and multiplayer fps, would be overwatch.

I really had zero interest in fps or competitive online games until the beta for overwatch, I mean I've played the campaigns of all the Halo series up to 4 but still, no intest in the likes of CoD or Battlefield, but I find myself now over 100 hours into Overwatch, if you get a group of friends together or just even meet some nice pugs you can get lost for hours gaining levels rank and sick loot boxes. Would really recommend giving the game a look on one of the free weekends or if you can borrow a friends account, you'll know very fast if it's for you.

I will say though... you must get ready for 50/50 win ratio in ranked games, the game massively handicaps you with each successive win, eventually you will  be forced into a game with people who literally can't select a champion or play the very basic aspects of the game just to ensure you get a loss or they gift those players a win. Sure your rank gains and losses from the games are individual so you will still gain more rank than you loss each game as long as you're doing great at your task on a team, but still... you will always win 50% of your games based on the way the game is designed and sometimes that is just foced to the point where you might as well be teamed up with 4 potatoes and a carrot.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Street Fighter V. Terrible value. Awesome fighting system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I thought I would like Zero Time Dilemma, but I ended up loving it, so I guess that's a bit of a surprise. It had such a way of concealing information from the player, leaving so much of the overarching plot in total mystery for so long. I got completely engrossed. And unlike the first two games, I really felt like its twist ending both made some amount of logical sense and was earned by the game's pace. Could have used a little bit more money tossed in the animation budget, but a really strong experience from this year that I wasn't counting on really enjoying until it was in my hands.

Pokémon Go, it's become part of my daily routine now. 😐

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Overwatch.

While I loved TF2, the game kinda left a sour taste in my mouth due to some issues I had with the competitive side of that game.

Overwatch reminded be a lot of TF2, with a bunch of character classes and the cartoonish art style, so I just dismissed the game (that and I never really played a Blizzard game before.)

I didn't try the open beta, but some friends were making a big deal about the game, saying it's one of the best shooters they've ever played.

I bought the game near launch, and now it's probably in my top 10 games of all time.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."