By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unexpected game of the year? (for you)

So, I was pretty sure that my game of the year was Dark Souls 3, and after that other games like uncharted 4, tokyo mirage sessions and watch dogs 2. But something changed two days ago, this game changed my mind completely and now it's my game of the year. 

The game is......  Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, haha, but yeah, I'm serious.

Never played a shantae game and I bought this because I needed a rest from FF XV... and voila!, this underapreciated gem is my game of the year. same situation? do you have an unexpected game of the year?

Around the Network

Overwatch

I really hadn't been following it before release, and I bought it because I wanted something to play and it reviewed well.

I've never been really into multiplayer games, so spending 250 hours already on a MP-only game in about 7 months is pretty incredible for me

Oxenfree - the first game I bought with my new PS4. It does some of the most innovative things I've ever seen in a story when it comes to how it approaches dialog.

I got the new Shantae recently, is really fun, it looks and sounds awesome too.

My unexpected Goty would be Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE followed by Owlboy, didn't had any expectations for those but they surprised me a lot.

celador said:
Overwatch

I really hadn't been following it before release, and I bought it because I wanted something to play and it reviewed well.

I've never been really into multiplayer games, so spending 250 hours already on a MP-only game in about 7 months is pretty incredible for me

I really wanna play overwatch but like you I'm not into multiplayer games. But I really like the art style, characters and trailers, so If I'm going to buy and multiplayer fps, would be overwatch.

Around the Network

My personal game of the year remains Uncharted 4, but my little gem pick of the year is Ratchet and Clank, its the one game I didnt want to give a chance because I felt old for that kind of game, I found it cheap this holiday season so I bought it and it ended up being one of my favorites of the year.
Honorary mention to I Am Setsuna, even tho it has room to improve, I really, really liked the characters and story. Its a really beautiful small game.

spemanig said:
Oxenfree - the first game I bought with my new PS4. It does some of the most innovative things I've ever seen in a story when it comes to how it approaches dialog.

it's in my backlog, thanks for the reminder!

Goodnightmoon said:
I got the new Shantae recently, is really fun, it looks and sounds awesome too.

My unexpected Goty would be Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE followed by Owlboy, didn't had any expectations for those but they surprised me a lot.

Yeah I think I'm going to buy owlboy, has a lot of good reviews and it reminds me of cave story (for some reason)

Jpcc86 said:
My personal game of the year remains Uncharted 4, but my little gem pick of the year is Ratchet and Clank, its the one game I didnt want to give a chance because I felt old for that kind of game, I found it cheap this holiday season so I bought it and it ended up being one of my favorites of the year.
Honorary mention to I Am Setsuna, even tho it has room to improve, I really, really liked the characters and story. Its a really beautiful small game.

Ratchet and clank is the best looking playstation game! (for me)

BasilZero said:
Final Fantasy IX on PC

I didnt expect it to come out in 2016 but it did :O

SE surprised us on January 1st 2016 with the announcement, wonder if they'll do the same on Jan 1st 2017 with possibly FFTactics WotL!

hopefully XV is in development for pc, really wanna see what they can do without limitations