By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playing Nier Automata makes me sad for the sad state of combat in Western games

Ka-pi96 said:
AsGryffynn said:

I call bullshit on that one... Seriously, as things stand, the only complaint seems to be how combat has been compartmentalized by devs in favor of adding as many combat mechanics as they are able to. Skyrim limits melee to one button to allow for the FPS mechanic, which I think was unnecessary and there were other ways to allow for it without making sword and melee fights feel underwhelming... 

But most Japanese games are either aping Monster Hunter or Tales, so it doesn't feel any better on their side either... 

wut?

My comment was just a tongue in cheek joke about my love of musou games and lack of interest in anything else

Even then, my comment still stands... 

I think they dropped the ball on Arena combat systems. LR had a great combat system that might have been magical with a three or four people party... 

Around the Network

The Japanese one is flashy, over-the-top, and clearly physically impossible. Great if you're into that but that doesn't feel very satisfying for me.

EDITED

4 ≈ One

Not sure why someone compares a game where combat is only "a little part" of the game with another game where it's all about the combat.

That's almost like saying that GTA has worse fist fights as a boxing game or something.

Japanese games try to let fighting look more crazy and stylised, that's something I would agree with.

I can can only think of a couple Western games with good action combat systems. Kingdoms of Amalur being one of them. Many Japanese devs are not great at it either but the few who are,wow they are masters at it. Nier Automata is easily one of the best I ever played. Going to PG to clean up Nier was the right choice for gameplay. We shall see about story. Hard top top the first games story.

Did it just turn into a space shooter mid gameplay!? That's what I'm talking about. Can't wait for Nier Automata.

Around the Network

God of War has the best combat in Western games and it does that well. I agree that Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed don't have good combat and that most western games have too much contextual real time combat rather than combo centric combat. These don't require skill and feel like you're tapping buttons when the game wants you to so that you can win. But gamers don't care.

'Manageably explosive' is the ideal here. Nier, much like Bayonetta 1/2 and the Wonderful 101 carries on that tradition. Sure you have weapons to swing and shoot, but mastery of dodge offset and a combo system really does something for you.

The pace matters too at one extreme you have Warriors games that give you the pleasure of killing 10,000 of something at once and at the other you have Dark Souls like experience where the combat focused on only a few enemies for an extended period of time. Games that throttle you between the two extremes are really ideal imo. Nier appears to have struck that balance.

One could hope GoW or even the next Ninja Gaiden gives you a similar feeling. Scalebound could be there too.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:

'Manageably explosive' is the ideal here. Nier, much like Bayonetta 1/2 and the Wonderful 101 carries on that tradition. Sure you have weapons to swing and shoot, but mastery of dodge offset and a combo system really does something for you.

The pace matters too at one extreme you have Warriors games that give you the pleasure of killing 10,000 of something at once and at the other you have Dark Souls like experience where the combat focused on only a few enemies for an extended period of time. Games that throttle you between the two extremes are really ideal imo. Nier appears to have struck that balance.

One could hope GoW or even the next Ninja Gaiden gives you a similar feeling. Scalebound could be there too.

The new God of War looks like it will have combat like Dark Souls. Anyways God of War games have a very different combat system from Platinum Games but they also focus on fighting many enemies.

I think God of War and NInja Gaiden should be what they are and not another Platinum Game. They do what they do well. Also Platinum Game don't do anything well except for combat and music. God of War games have many amazing qualities.