By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the game industry headed for a new crash?

A CRASH IS COMING?

Yes. 42 18.18%

No. 117 50.65%

Maybe. 44 19.05%

It is the smartphones. 28 12.12%

Total:231

Gran Turismo and God of War is too early to say because we haven't got new installments yet. The rest is mostly franchise fatigue. And there are also games selling better like Battlefield 1 and GTA V.

Around the Network
naruball said:
pray4mojo said:

If you are telling me that people aren't going to the actual theaters because there's so many other options like Netflix, cable, physical media for the home etc... then I am in total agreement. 

The gaming industry is changing in the similar ways. It's not dying out (the love of playing video games). It's just migrating and splitting up into many different areas. 

That's part of what I'm saying.

The other part is, let's not compare isolated cases but total numbers (with or without inflation). Do we have total numbers for how much money movies (or video games) made in 2016 compared to, say, 1993?

How much in total? As in, dvd/blu ray/netflix/theaters? Or just the theaters? Because my original point about comparing the movie industry was how movies didn't die off, they migrated. I was making the argument that we're seeing something similar in gaming. In 1988, if you made a pie graph, chances are it would have been dominated by home consoles and then mostly PC. In 2016, that pie graph as shruken and will continue to shrink until we see a crest. Right now, gaming is all over the place and transitioning into other areas which means traditional gaming (consoles) is going to decline. 

But that doesn't mean the "death" of console gaming. Far from it.

pray4mojo said:
Lawlight said:

The same thing could be applied to movies and yet people still watch on a TV or go to the theatre. I'm not seeing any reason to think that traditional gamers' numbers are declining.

Movies have declined... by alot. One look at the inflation adjusted list and it's confirmed. Snow White and 101 Dalmations out earned Frozen and The Lion King. Actual ticket sales are nothing like they were back in the day. 

The same thing is happening in our industry. Line up all three consoles worldwide and compare them to the first three years last generation. It's down, by alot. When you look at handheld hardware, they're all but dead. So dead in fact that Nintendo saw fit to ditch their dedicated handheld business and merge it with their home console division. The writing is on the wall.

Does this mean the end? No. Like you said, movies are still popular. Console gaming will remain popular as well. But it's naive and flat out ignorant to suggest that there hasn't been a drop off. This is the first generation that didn't outsell the prior one. It's happening.

I'm the first to admit that movies have declined... at the cinema. Not at home with the rise of streaming. Mobile has not replaced that. There will always be experiences that cannot be replaced by a phone. People would rather watch movies at home on a big screen rather than on the go on a phone.

pray4mojo said:
naruball said:

That's part of what I'm saying.

The other part is, let's not compare isolated cases but total numbers (with or without inflation). Do we have total numbers for how much money movies (or video games) made in 2016 compared to, say, 1993?

How much in total? As in, dvd/blu ray/netflix/theaters? Or just the theaters? Because my original point about comparing the movie industry was how movies didn't die off, they migrated. I was making the argument that we're seeing something similar in gaming. In 1988, if you made a pie graph, chances are it would have been dominated by home consoles and then mostly PC. In 2016, that pie graph as shruken and will continue to shrink until we see a crest. Right now, gaming is all over the place and transitioning into other areas which means traditional gaming (consoles) is going to decline. 

But that doesn't mean the "death" of console gaming. Far from it.

"Movies have declined... by alot. One look at the inflation adjusted list and it's confirmed. Snow White and 101 Dalmations out earned Frozen and The Lion King. Actual ticket sales are nothing like they were back in the day".

Even without netflix and everything else, how many tickets were sold when Snow White came out (for all movies that year) and how many this year or in 2015?

No. People get tired of a series. Cod every year got worse and worse, AC was just not working the past couple of years.

Forza is every year, Halo has had 1234532 installments, Gears judgement put a lot of people off and Gears 4 made people see they're just a bit tired.

We're getting new franchises that people are interested in.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Dark Souls - up, The Witcher - up, Fallout - up, Overwatch - huge success, Splatoon - sold shittonnes on a failed console (sorry Wii U fans, it is), Sony 1st party in general has been up this gen if VGC numbers are to be trusted. I could continue, but there's no need to.

Damn it when I first read your title I thought you were talking about a new Crash Bandicoot game. :P

pray4mojo said:

Are you sure that 3 out of 10 purcahses on consoles are full game downloads? Last year, there were numbers out of (I think) NPD which contradicted that. 

Nope, not sure at all.... but i also know that there is evidence wuggesting that range is is beteeen 15-30% and thst every year that number increases.

Point however is that you van't make a sales analysis todsy and not factor in digital sales but this yime last gen or any previous gen for that matter day one digital sales didn't even exist. 

Soundwave said:
Splatoon feels like the only new franchise in like forever to really be birthed on traidtional gaming platforms to come out and be a hit and even that was kinda gimped by the Wii U.

The one concerning thing is we're 3 years into this gen and there isn't really a new huge breakout hit IP from anyone. Minecraft was from the last gen.

I do thing console gaming might be in some trouble, because there's too much entertainment available today. Netflix, Hulu, PVRs, smartphones with games/social media, etc. etc. there's too much to play, watch, consume that I think we're entering an era of like

In a funny way too I think Switch could accelerate the decline of the traditional console. Even if it's a temporary success, what's going to happen is Samsung and other tablet makers are going to make "me too" knock offs, and the hybrid idea of a tablet form factor device that can also serve as a home console is going to become standard for most tablets going forward because everyone will copy that.

So basically everyone who has a tablet or even phone in the future could have a decently powerful console rig right in their phone/tablet already, all they'll need is like a bluetooth controller and they can play.

Destiny? Overwatch? Bloodborne? 

None kf those wuslify as huts to you or games birthed on traditional consoles or even new IPs?

As for the other stuff you said.... no, no and no.

Intrinsic said:
pray4mojo said:

Are you sure that 3 out of 10 purcahses on consoles are full game downloads? Last year, there were numbers out of (I think) NPD which contradicted that. 

Nope, not sure at all.... but i also know that there is evidence wuggesting that range is is beteeen 15-30% and thst every year that number increases.

Point however is that you van't make a sales analysis todsy and not factor in digital sales but this yime last gen or any previous gen for that matter day one digital sales didn't even exist. 

Sony released Software numbers recently, 369.6 Million as of December 4th, assuming VGC Retail Software is accurate.. and accounting for the couple of weeks we are behind... looks like Digital Ratio is about 15%.