By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the game industry headed for a new crash?

A CRASH IS COMING?

Yes. 42 18.18%

No. 117 50.65%

Maybe. 44 19.05%

It is the smartphones. 28 12.12%

Total:231
Barkley said:
Intrinsic said:

Another thing to consider is that with 8th gen, due to  the smaller leap from sub HD to full HD as opposed to going from SD to hd Meant that this gen had a lot more cross platform games than the last gen.

He included cross-generation games in the list, he just missed tons. (I assume you meant cross-generation not cross-platform)

Shadows of Mordor
Rocket League
Knack
Star Wars Battlefront
Doom

Some of them the last-gen list are very questionable, Spore? That wasn't on consoles.

opps thanks, for that. Yes i meant cross gen games not cross platform. 

And yes, some.of hisnlsst gen additions are suspect. Like brothers in arms isnt a new IP. If the simpsons counts as a new IP then Spiderman should count as a new IP too... cauee it's not like that was the first Simpsons game made. 

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Intrinsic said:

Another thing to consider is that with 8th gen, due to  the smaller leap from sub HD to full HD as opposed to going from SD to hd Meant that this gen had a lot more cross platform games than the last gen.

He included cross-generation games in the list, he just missed tons. (I assume you meant cross-generation not cross-platform)

Shadows of Mordor
Rocket League
Knack
Star Wars Battlefront
Doom

Some of them the last-gen list are very questionable, Spore? That wasn't on consoles.

If you're including Doom and SW:BR, I'll include CoD:MW which sold more systems than all those combined. It was a quick list, the difference is stark. Look at the install base difference. Look at how successfull their sequels go on to sell. 2 years v 3 years.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Barkley said:
gatito said:

It doesn't matter, no one's buying Wii Us anymore.

There's the games crash, it's Nintendo's fault. Sony trying to pick up the slack but no one can make up the loss from a drop from 100 million consoles to 15 million.

Yeah, but people didn't stop buying consoles altogether. Wait till that Teraflop bubble pops.

Pyro as Bill said:
Barkley said:

Shadows of Mordor
Rocket League
Knack
Star Wars Battlefront
Doom

If you're including Doom and SW:BR, I'll include CoD:MW which sold more systems than all those combined. It was a quick list, the difference is stark. Look at the install base difference. Look at how successfull their sequels go on to sell. 2 years v 3 years.

How is CoD:MW remotely close to being like Doom or even Battlefront. CoD 4 (yes it's called Call of Duty 4!) came out 1 year after CoD 3.... and was on the same console. xD

Regardless you already include Pirates of the Caribbean : At Worlds End, Colin McRae: Dirt, and several other titles that are certainly not "new ip's".

How is god of war down and didn't GT6 sell 6 million in 2 years. Only one in trouble seems to be MS at this moment. Final fantasy XV has over 600 pre orders for the PS4 in the US if those charts are believable. Fifa 17 still sells great and new IP's catch on fairly well. Infamous is also up.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

I think AAA games have peaked. I doubt we'll see a jump in 'production value' of games for a long while. Sure you got the PS4 Pro, Scorpio, and the PC - but I think publishers, retailers and consumers are waiting on 4K displays to really become the norm before they really start pushing the limits of that hardware.

I think publishers and retailers are going to aim for a longer tail of sales of existing games rather than push several new titles a year.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
I think AAA games have peaked. I doubt we'll see a jump in 'production value' of games for a long while.

Just you wait till GTA6.

Barkley said:
Pyro as Bill said:

How is CoD:MW remotely close to being like Doom or even Battlefront. CoD 4 (yes it's called Call of Duty 4!) came out 1 year after CoD 3.... and was on the same console. xD

Regardless you already include Pirates of the Caribbean : At Worlds End, Colin McRae: Dirt, and several other titles that are certainly not "new ip's".

Furthermore, Bioshock and Mass Effect are twice in his list, and it lacks several titles on the current gen (The last guardian among others, but maybe it's the same case in the previous gen).

Actually it could be but not the reasons OP gave.

Golden Sun down is clearly a sign that a new crashing is coming. Yep.