By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the game industry headed for a new crash?

A CRASH IS COMING?

Yes. 42 18.18%

No. 117 50.65%

Maybe. 44 19.05%

It is the smartphones. 28 12.12%

Total:231

Not really. With the exception of Forza Horizon 3, you can say that QUALITY is down more than anything else.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
fleischr said:
I think AAA games have peaked. I doubt we'll see a jump in 'production value' of games for a long while.

Just you wait till GTA6.

The way GTA5 still selling, it'll be 3-4 years.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
Barkley said:

Just you wait till GTA6.

The way GTA5 still selling, it'll be 3-4 years.

Rockstar doesn`t announce games with more than one year between announcement and release. But it is coming, I bet that it already in development and have been for some while. GTA 6 could be a 500 million dollar game easily. GTA IV was 100 million, GTA V was 250 million. 

niceguygameplayer said:

Nintendo: NSMB U is way down from NSMB Wii. Golden Sun down. Smash Bros.: Smashed. Well, compared to the last Wii version. Pokémon is slightly up from the last 3DS game, but that may be because of the Pokémon Go craze of summer. 

Golden Sun?

FZero, Earthbound, Punchout and a lot of others are also down as well, not sure why you didn't include those games as well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Was this a deliberate point farming thread? Hmmmm

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
also maybe you should just take a glance at game industry revenue over the last 10yrs.

Yeah, disaster has surely struck when the industry has gone from approx. 26.3 billion dollars in 2006 to a paltry 99.6 billion dollars for 2016. Imminent disaster. And, no, it's not just mobile, mobile makes up roughly 37% of the market as of today. That means significant growth across the board and across several market segments. In other words; I agree 100% with this post.

If OP had asked; "Is the gaming industry about to hit its peak in global revenue?", that would have been a more realistic, and interesting question.

Mummelmann said:
Intrinsic said:
also maybe you should just take a glance at game industry revenue over the last 10yrs.

Yeah, disaster has surely struck when the industry has gone from approx. 26.3 billion dollars in 2006 to a paltry 99.6 billion dollars for 2016. Imminent disaster. And, no, it's not just mobile, mobile makes up roughly 37% of the market as of today. That means significant growth across the board and across several market segments. In other words; I agree 100% with this post.

If OP had asked; "Is the gaming industry about to hit its peak in global revenue?", that would have been a more realistic, and interesting question.

Thanks for the facts. Much appreciated.

A lot of ways, it already did last generation. A lot of studios went out of business in the past decade and were shut down.

If we were on a bubble, maybe. But I dont understand business enough to know how "bubbles" work.

Anyway, not really. PS4 + XBO are a huge success. Software overall have been selling really well. There's always a new success (Destiny, Watchdogs, Splatoon, Rocket League, Overwatch, Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight), and some older franchise have bigger userbases (The Witcher, GTA, Smash, Fallout, Dark Souls, Rainbow Six). Handhelds are down (and pretty much dead), but home consoles are at the very least in their second largest generation (and with PS4 Pro and Scorpio coming, there's still room for growth). Also, VR might last longer as a gimmick than motion controls. Lastly, have you seen the graph about all the Steam games released this year? PC gaming is also gigantic and growing every year!

The main and most important fact is that hardcore gaming right now is huge, and the industry is becoming more and more mainstream each year.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

hershel_layton said:
Of course not. Switch 350 million lifetime sales FTW!

375 million*