By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [New Poll] Will you buy multiplatform games on Switch or PS4/XBO/PC?

Will you buy multiplats on Switch or PS4/XBO/PC if you own both systems?

Switch 270 37.04%

PS4/XBO/PC 331 45.40%

Won't own a Switch 109 14.95%

Won't own a PS4/XBO/PC 19 2.61%

Total:729

I'll probably get multiplats for PS4...
Having said that, I have a 45 hour work week and a two hour commute, plus I travel a lot for work...
I don't always have the time needed to play through a game that demands a lot of time...
I may get multiplats on Switch if they are games I know I will play a lot (if the port isn't terrible)...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
[...]

I don't even need external HDDs. You can just swap Micro SDs, that's all I need to be happy. I mean, sure, I could also swap the hard drive in the PS4, but that is a little more complicated and also needs more time. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

UB04 said:
The Switch uses maxwell based Tegra x1 (380 Gflops in Fp32) so its similar powerfull as the wii u

if this is true I really dont expect to see multiplat games like Mass Effect on the system

oniyide said:
UB04 said:
The Switch uses maxwell based Tegra x1 (380 Gflops in Fp32) so its similar powerfull as the wii u

if this is true I really dont expect to see multiplat games like Mass Effect on the system

I dont think anybody thats not a die hard nintendo fan expext frostbite 3 games on a handheld.

Pyro as Bill said:
spemanig said:

This, I think is the most likely achilles heel for the Switch.

Let's stop with the storage myth.

Game Cartridge + 32GB (internal) + 256GB (SD card)

+

4TB Portable Hard Drive or 1TB Flash Drive

Even at 50GB/game that's 80+ games using current HD/SD cards.

1TB and 2TB SD cards are on their way. 8TB portable HD are already here but less portable than 2 x 4TB. It doesn't have to be plugged in all the time, only when you choose to play another of your 150+ game library.

You can even get portable HDs with a power bank to recharge the Switch otg.

It's not a myth. It's possibly a console-killing issue that needs to be talked about. According to the rumors, the SD card cap is 128GB, not 256GB, and the unit won't support an external hard drive at all. So it's 16GB affordable $60 cartridge standard, 32GB internal, 128GB SD, and ZERO GB external. That is textbook dire right there.

At 50GB per game, that a whopping 2 games, unless a publisher opts for the vastly more expensive 64GB cartridges, Of which the cost would either be passed on to the consumer, or the publisher will literally have to take a loss on every copy sold on the Switch that they wouldn't have to on any other version of the same exact game so they can keep the game at $60. Dire.

And don't even try to bring up 1tb/2tb SD cards when Nintendo already has a cap of 128GB. But let's entertain that for a second. How cheap do you think these things are, exactly? There's a 512GB microSD card out right now. You know how for how much? $310. How long before any currently nonexistent 1TB microSD is even close to the realm of affordability for anyone? Not for years.

The Switch isn't some magical device made to make all of your dreams come true. It's a consumer device that has quite possibly shot itself in the foot and with a serious space problem. No myths, just facts.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
spemanig said:

The Switch will definitely have the inferior version in terms of specs. No one is arguing otherwise.

But it will have the superior version in terms of convenience, and that does have selling power. Who's to say that some of their friends won't buy the Switch version. If their friends buy the Switch too, there's no reason yet to believe that they "def" wouldn't buy the Switch version.

whats convinent of having a game like COD on the go? You wouldnt be able to play it online while moving around so there goes the main reason why people would even play that game. So they might as well just get the version for whatever system they already have and play it at home, especially if the Switch version will be worse even if played at home.

First of all, it's not just on the go. I've already said that. It's CoD untethered to your TV. And second of all, of course you can play Cod online on the go. You do it via 4G, which the patents say the Switch allows for and which Iwata specifically spoke about implementing nearly half a decade ago. Something mobile has been doing for years. That answers exactly what's convenient about CoD on the go.

So now we're back to how there is no reason to believe people "definitely" wouldn't buy the Switch version.

spemanig said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Let's stop with the storage myth.

Game Cartridge + 32GB (internal) + 256GB (SD card)

+

4TB Portable Hard Drive or 1TB Flash Drive

Even at 50GB/game that's 80+ games using current HD/SD cards.

1TB and 2TB SD cards are on their way. 8TB portable HD are already here but less portable than 2 x 4TB. It doesn't have to be plugged in all the time, only when you choose to play another of your 150+ game library.

You can even get portable HDs with a power bank to recharge the Switch otg.

It's not a myth. It's possibly a console-killing issue that needs to be talked about. According to the rumors, the SD card cap is 128GB, not 256GB, and the unit won't support an external hard drive at all. So it's 16GB affordable $60 cartridge standard, 32GB internal, 128GB SD, and ZERO GB external. That is textbook dire right there.

At 50GB per game, that a whopping 2 games, unless a publisher opts for the vastly more expensive 64GB cartridges, Of which the cost would either be passed on to the consumer, or the publisher will literally have to take a loss on every copy sold on the Switch that they wouldn't have to on any other version of the same exact game so they can keep the game at $60. Dire.

And don't even try to bring up 1tb/2tb SD cards when Nintendo already has a cap of 128GB. But let's entertain that for a second. How cheap do you think these things are, exactly? There's a 512GB microSD card out right now. You know how for how much? $310. How long before any currently nonexistent 1TB microSD is even close to the realm of affordability for anyone? Not for years.

The Switch isn't some magical device made to make all of your dreams come true. It's a consumer device that has quite possibly shot itself in the foot and with a serious space problem. No myths, just facts.

The Switch's game cartridges will use compression technology like most every game on a card does. A 50GB size game on blueray could be half that or less on Switch card.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

SonytendoAmiibo said:

The Switch's game cartridges will use compression technology like most every game on a card does. A 50GB size game on blueray could be half that or less on Switch card.

Games on optical discs or HDDs can also take use of compression technologies. Flash storage is no different to other storage media.

Using compressed data makes sense for some data, but is a no go for other data, especially on mobile devices with slow CPUs and additional battery drain due to decompression of the files.

"If you have a computer with a slower CPU, you should probably avoid this option. This is especially true on slow laptops and tablets. That’s unfortunate because a cheap Windows notebook or tablet will often have a small amount of storage, making this option tempting. But that slower CPU means enabling compression will tax your system and slow things down."

http://www.howtogeek.com/266472/should-you-use-windows-full-drive-compression-to-save-space/

SonytendoAmiibo said:

Proof? I've never heard of anything like this, where the simple act of putting something as complex as a video game onto an SD card format instead of a Blu-ray disc magically cuts its file size in half. Sounds completely absurd, but I won't dispute something I don't fully understand.

Conina said:

SonytendoAmiibo said:

Games on optical discs or HDDs can also take use of compression technologies. Flash storage is no different to other storage media.

Right. That's what I thought. Completely absurd.