By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [New Poll] Will you buy multiplatform games on Switch or PS4/XBO/PC?

Will you buy multiplats on Switch or PS4/XBO/PC if you own both systems?

Switch 270 37.04%

PS4/XBO/PC 331 45.40%

Won't own a Switch 109 14.95%

Won't own a PS4/XBO/PC 19 2.61%

Total:729

Multi platform on nintendo!?.. imagining thing is free of cost.

Around the Network
taus90 said:
Multi platform on nintendo!?.. imagining thing is free of cost.

GC and Wii had a bunch of third parties, same with GBA/NDS/3DS.

spemanig said:

Wii sounds like We. DS was assumed to mean "double screen." Even if no one knew what it really meant, I communicated what it really was fine. Neither of them were nonsense. NX is. NX as a group of letters communicates absolutely nothing. Switch is fine. It's recognizable and easy to remember. "The Switch" rolls off the tongue.

Wii is a good name. DS is kinda dumb. Yes, I know it means "double screen". But for most, it's just 2 random letter. 3DS and 2DS only made it worse. Gameboy was a brilliant name, they should have kept it.

"The Switch" only rolls off the tongue if you speak English. For a bunch of languages, it's not that good. It will receive a bit of an accent and sound ridiculous. It's your personal opinion, of course. Mine is that it's a deeply stupid name, that sounds like a big lack of ideas. It's an awesome product and it deserved an awesome name that had a least personality. What's a "switch"? A network equipment. Something to turn stuff on/off. It's called Switch because it can switch modes between handheld and home console, I get it. It's just a lame name, people won't associate it with the concept.

Looking at the competition, at least PlayStation and Xbox are recognizable. What is a PlayStation? What is a Xbox? There's no mistake, it's a clear identity. It may be good or not, but it clearly identifies the product. Google it or look at Amazon and they will be the only thing that will appear. Throw Switch on Amazon after March and you may have to roll through a bunch of network equipment mixed with consoles and games.

I'm going to buy multiplats on both the Switch and the PS4.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Unfortunately I won't buy multiplats on the Switch.....and yes I'm getting one on launch day like I've always done for Nintendo consoles. The reason is simply it may not be the most definitive over it's PS4/Xbox One counterparts. For me, the resolution and framerate matters to me. Playing on the go is certainly a benefit over the others, but it might be gimped due to portability.

I've become a big supporter of indie games as of lately. I will say that I will split my indie games up three ways that includes the Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. I really do hope that Nintendo implements an achievement system in this upcoming console. It's a preference of mine and it may deter me from the rivals on certain games, if they have them that is.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
spemanig said:

This thread is specifically about VGC user preferences. Mainstream consumers have historically chosen convenience over power. All the Switch needs is to be powerful enough to run Gen 8 games at a mainstream-accepted clip. Don't underestimate the amount of people who will chose portability over graphical bells and whistles.

Gotcha, well.. Since i'll be getting the Switch, I'll obviously mainly be  using it for exclusives 90% of the time, but if a multiplat comes a long and im traveling with no access to a console, i'll definitely get that. Nothing multiplayer heavy, since I have the PS4 or Xbox One for that. I could definitely use it for multiplatform indie titles. I dont even think I will be using it as a normal console. The problem with the multiplat titles is people will overlook the switch if they have other platforms for more graphically intense games (yes, even in favor of the Xbox One). I will be as well. All of my friends have established their platforms of choice already and that makes my ability to go multiplat harder on the NS. It literally has to come down to a single player experience that does not rely on its graphics to get by.

I'm not so sure that will be the case for a lot of people. It's very similar to PC vs. consoles. PC allow for better specifications, but mainstream consumers chose consoles because the experience is more convenient. I think Switch will share a similar relationship with home consoles. Again, I think many people underestimate the appeal that not needing to sit in front of a TV will have to mainsteam consumers, mostly because people aren't considering its full gammit of use cases.

You can use it on a TV. But then you can use it in bed/dinner table/desk/anywhere in the house, which I'm sure will account for the most use cases. The wording I keep using is that the Switch is "not tethered to your TV," and that is the appeal. If you want a TV play experience, you can have that easily, but you no longer have to play those games on a TV. I keep comparing it to laptops because the comparison it 1:1. Laptops didn't explode in popularity because you could use them in an airplane. They exploded in popularity because you could use them on your lap and your desk and an airplane if you wanted to.

Like I've said in this thread, I think the difference in power between the Switch and XBO will be not unlike the difference in power between the PS2 and GCN. It will undoubtably be less powerful, but there reaches a point in fidelity where most people will not notice the difference. Most people cannot tell the difference between a game running on XBO and one running on PS4, and I'm sure the Switch will have a similar case when compared to the other two for most people.

I do agree though that multiplayer will be an obstacle on the Switch because of PSN and XBL. But I don't think that it's an insurmountable obstacle. All you need is one friend who only has a Switch to get you to buy one multiplayer game on the Switch to play with them. This Gen is still developing, so I can see it being the case that a lot of people who still haven't upgraded to 8th gen will upgrade to Switch. Anecdotally, one of the biggest reasons I'm getting a PS4 and XBO is to play multiplayer games with different groups of friends that I have, and I see little reason why a third group couldn't develop on the Switch. Say I have a group of 4 friends who all want to play the new MvC together, and say it's announced for Switch. All four of us have a Switch but one of us doesn't have a PS4. We're obviously going to play the Switch version. The more scenarios like that happen, the more you'll see people migrate partially to playing multiplayer on Switch.

Don't get me wrong, though. There's very little in the way of resisting 80m players on two other platforms. But the Switch can definitely get some legway. And that depends a lot on Nintendo improving their online, which we have no information on.

I got an xbone, and if the rumors are true it's using Maxwell X1 ( which it obviously is, it's been hinted at by multiple sources who were right about Switch) then I'll get multiplats for xbone.

Nah, I get them for PC most of the time.Actually, I just realized I've never bought a multiplatform game for a modern Nintendo console...

oniyide said:

also didnt get it because there friends were playing the 360 version, PS3 or PC version. Thats also a big factor that cant be ignored and I def dont see that changing now especially since the Switch is way late to the party.

Wii U versions of games ran at least on par with the PS360 counterparts, didnt matter. 

Their friends were on those platforms because of the aforementioned problems - problems that persisted on the Wii U in branding and in application. I promise that I'm ignoring nothing.

spemanig said:
oniyide said:

also didnt get it because there friends were playing the 360 version, PS3 or PC version. Thats also a big factor that cant be ignored and I def dont see that changing now especially since the Switch is way late to the party.

Wii U versions of games ran at least on par with the PS360 counterparts, didnt matter. 

Their friends were on those platforms because of the aforementioned problems - problems that persisted on the Wii U in branding and in application. I promise that I'm ignoring nothing.

THe Switch is still gonna have problems, nevermind that it most likely will be an inferior version, but lets say it isnt. It still is competing with systems that have already been established for some years now. WHo would really buy a Switch version of COD (if they make one) when all their friends are def not gonna be playing the Switch version?