By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think I'm done with brick and mortar stores for video game purchases

Where do you buy a majority of your games?

Online 15 39.47%

Stores 15 39.47%

Digital 8 21.05%

Total:38
Azuren said:
Conina said:

Why? If you know which model you want, buying it online has a lot of advantages.

In many countries you have better return policies when buying hardware online than in the shop, the TV is often cheaper and you get it delivered directly to you front door (the delivery costs are also often cheaper than if you assign a normal shop with that task.)

Because knowing what TV you want doesn't necessarily mean you know what it looks like, and not discussing it with someone who deals with their s sales on a daily basis can render you ignorant of problems.

An example of this is the 8 and 9 series of 2016 Samsungs: They get great reviews, but the Quantum Dot display has a tendency to suffer panel failure while trying to display 4K images. Considering the lack of 4K content, some people could go literally MONTHS without knowing they have a defective panel.

Mummelmann said:

Nah, bought mine online, knew everything there was to know and got a free demo at a store earlier. Also had it delivered for free from the online store and paid 33% less for the TV.

1. If it was a big name brand (Sony, Samsung, LG), I would make sure you purchased from an authorized retailer. If you bought it from a place like Joe's AV or Abe's of Maine, they aren't authorized and the manufacturer won't be honoring any kind of support or warranty on it. 

2. Oh, so you used the store, then ran off and purchased it elsewhere? Honestly, that's some of the scummiest stuff I witness as an AV manager. When enough people think like you, guess what? You won't get to double check that TV in a store anymore. So thanks for using the store, and not giving it any credit.

BasilZero said:

Whoa :o

I didnt know you worked at Frys!

That was my first job lol (I worked at the Electronic Components department).

Never worked in the Components department, but I started in Computers and moved over to AV last year. I do remember getting pissed that the components guys would always come over and steal our UPS sales.

Just at this point here, sales staff in the TV stores near me would never ever mention any defects such as this with any of the models they sell, for them it's all about meeting their weekly sales quota they're not going to give a rats if you come back with it defective 6 months down the line because they'll still have used the product to meet their quota, that is all the majority of min wage sales staff care about.

At least in my exp here with TV sales, could be very different where you work yourself of course, heck, it can't be any worse than we have it here anyways :)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Cool stats (from a tiny sample size) that 30% of games are sold in local stores with the rest coming from online sites or just digital downloads from psn/steam and such, the rule of gamestop is ending? or has already ended.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I would buy more games from Amazon but I always see them cheaper in other online shops lol.

Ka-pi96 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

In some parts of the world. In canada since I joined prime via student and the discount is still valid for some reason, it is only $40 per year for me.

If you are in collage or if you have a child that is in collage, 110% get that asap!

And don`t forget the 6 months free trial for Amazon Student. Also how long do you still get the student price for after leaving uni? I pay $16 a year atm and.... well you can`t really beat that

OT: I actually buy from real stores more than I used to. Used to live in a small town so it was either order online or pay/wait for trains (I don`t drive) and all that to go a store. Now that I`m much closer to the stores I`m much more likely to actually use them. Although used games are still usually internet. Don`t want to take my chances on what stock a store has when I can get whatever I want online.

I have it for like 2 years now including the 6 months free. Curse you amazon canada T_T

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Mummelmann said:
Azuren said:

1. If it was a big name brand (Sony, Samsung, LG), I would make sure you purchased from an authorized retailer. If you bought it from a place like Joe's AV or Abe's of Maine, they aren't authorized and the manufacturer won't be honoring any kind of support or warranty on it. 

2. Oh, so you used the store, then ran off and purchased it elsewhere? Honestly, that's some of the scummiest stuff I witness as an AV manager. When enough people think like you, guess what? You won't get to double check that TV in a store anymore. So thanks for using the store, and not giving it any credit.

1: I bought mine from Komplett, the Scandinavian Amazon in many ways (only miles better on customer service and warranties, been buying all my PC gear there for 12-13 years now). Not only are they auhorized dealers of all the biggest brands, they even have their own warranties that go beyond the manufacturer's in many cases. I bought a Sony TV.

2: Yes, I went to a store and checked out the TV. The people who work there are clueless, they know nothing about tech besides what their manager taught them, they talk shit about owning every item they show to customers, they try to sell useless insurances that are borderline fraud (big deal here in Scandinavia, its been debated for years now) and whose "coverage" is already included in the purchasing and consumer laws of the country. What's scummy to me is charging a huge premium on the same product and pairing it with staff who have little to no knowledge of what they're peddling, and then trying to scam the simpler minded consumers into buying worthless insurance that goes right in the pocket of the business in question.
"People like me" will always be around, if the store can't manage to make decent offers for potential customers, they'll lose them, that's the same in all business. If I couldn't go to a mass market store like Media Markt any more, I'd just go to an enthusiast store, they have the knowledge and give proper demo's of the products and they give actual advice, they also sometimes offer incentives for owners of certain brands when they trade in etc.

Bonus point 3: The elecronics stores here are bastards; when they get a new product or product line, they have already negotiated with the manufacturer and gotten permission to change the model names, each store chain will assign a unique model name to the same product. For instance, if you get a TV, a Sony KDS658505, one chain might call it a KDSB658505S, another perhaps KDBS6585055, this is completely legal and it makes price comparisons more or less impossible, to trick the consumer into paying more than it's worth or keep them from going to a cheaper competitor. Washing machines, hairdryers, fridges and freezers and a bunch of other products are the same thing, it's a disgusting practice and a really, really good argument, paired with the worthless insurances, to not give these stores credit.

Besides, the bottom lines these stores are showing aren't exactly looking grim, so "people like me" probably won't kill them any time soon (and, no, don't compare it to gaming piracy, which I don't do, in that case I would never actually buy the product, it'll be like saying piracy harms Gamestop instead of developers, for instance, and I do actually buy a product in this case). You have principles as an AV manager, that's fine, but I have principles as a consumer and I value them just as highly. Maybe your store is fantastic, has great staff with actual interest and knowledge on the products they sell and you don't sell fraud insurances and cheat with model names, if so; kudos and good luck.

Bonus question? Do you sometimes buy certain gorcieres in other stores because they're cheaper? I hope not, you're ruining the stores if that's the case.

Justify it how you want. customers that behave like you are just the worst.

sethnintendo said:
Azuren said:

I work at Fry's as a manager. We price match to Amazon, Best Buy, etc, and is literally our second biggest promotional endeavor (even my name tag says "we price match").

I didn't know Fry's price checked Amazon.  If I did then perhaps I would have bought it there.  I was going to get one for me and one for my friend though and they only had one wireless. 

We price match a tone of places, really. And Fry's is a great place to buy new games thanks to the promo codes. 9/10 new games release with a $10 discount if you have the promo code (you can sign up for it on our sad excuse for a website).

Ganoncrotch said:
Azuren said:

Because knowing what TV you want doesn't necessarily mean you know what it looks like, and not discussing it with someone who deals with their s sales on a daily basis can render you ignorant of problems.

An example of this is the 8 and 9 series of 2016 Samsungs: They get great reviews, but the Quantum Dot display has a tendency to suffer panel failure while trying to display 4K images. Considering the lack of 4K content, some people could go literally MONTHS without knowing they have a defective panel.

Never worked in the Components department, but I started in Computers and moved over to AV last year. I do remember getting pissed that the components guys would always come over and steal our UPS sales.

Just at this point here, sales staff in the TV stores near me would never ever mention any defects such as this with any of the models they sell, for them it's all about meeting their weekly sales quota they're not going to give a rats if you come back with it defective 6 months down the line because they'll still have used the product to meet their quota, that is all the majority of min wage sales staff care about.

At least in my exp here with TV sales, could be very different where you work yourself of course, heck, it can't be any worse than we have it here anyways :)

When someone gets a return on something they sold  it comes back out of their pay, so that doesn't really work like that. We have to be certain the customer will keep and be pleased with their product.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Mummelmann said:

1: I bought mine from Komplett, the Scandinavian Amazon in many ways (only miles better on customer service and warranties, been buying all my PC gear there for 12-13 years now). Not only are they auhorized dealers of all the biggest brands, they even have their own warranties that go beyond the manufacturer's in many cases. I bought a Sony TV.

2: Yes, I went to a store and checked out the TV. The people who work there are clueless, they know nothing about tech besides what their manager taught them, they talk shit about owning every item they show to customers, they try to sell useless insurances that are borderline fraud (big deal here in Scandinavia, its been debated for years now) and whose "coverage" is already included in the purchasing and consumer laws of the country. What's scummy to me is charging a huge premium on the same product and pairing it with staff who have little to no knowledge of what they're peddling, and then trying to scam the simpler minded consumers into buying worthless insurance that goes right in the pocket of the business in question.
"People like me" will always be around, if the store can't manage to make decent offers for potential customers, they'll lose them, that's the same in all business. If I couldn't go to a mass market store like Media Markt any more, I'd just go to an enthusiast store, they have the knowledge and give proper demo's of the products and they give actual advice, they also sometimes offer incentives for owners of certain brands when they trade in etc.

Bonus point 3: The elecronics stores here are bastards; when they get a new product or product line, they have already negotiated with the manufacturer and gotten permission to change the model names, each store chain will assign a unique model name to the same product. For instance, if you get a TV, a Sony KDS658505, one chain might call it a KDSB658505S, another perhaps KDBS6585055, this is completely legal and it makes price comparisons more or less impossible, to trick the consumer into paying more than it's worth or keep them from going to a cheaper competitor. Washing machines, hairdryers, fridges and freezers and a bunch of other products are the same thing, it's a disgusting practice and a really, really good argument, paired with the worthless insurances, to not give these stores credit.

Besides, the bottom lines these stores are showing aren't exactly looking grim, so "people like me" probably won't kill them any time soon (and, no, don't compare it to gaming piracy, which I don't do, in that case I would never actually buy the product, it'll be like saying piracy harms Gamestop instead of developers, for instance, and I do actually buy a product in this case). You have principles as an AV manager, that's fine, but I have principles as a consumer and I value them just as highly. Maybe your store is fantastic, has great staff with actual interest and knowledge on the products they sell and you don't sell fraud insurances and cheat with model names, if so; kudos and good luck.

Bonus question? Do you sometimes buy certain gorcieres in other stores because they're cheaper? I hope not, you're ruining the stores if that's the case.

sethnintendo said:

I didn't know Fry's price checked Amazon.  If I did then perhaps I would have bought it there.  I was going to get one for me and one for my friend though and they only had one wireless. 

We price match a tone of places, really. And Fry's is a great place to buy new games thanks to the promo codes. 9/10 new games release with a $10 discount if you have the promo code (you can sign up for it on our sad excuse for a website).

Ganoncrotch said:

When someone gets a return on something they sold  it comes back out of their pay, so that doesn't really work like that. We have to be certain the customer will keep and be pleased with their product.

Harveys here isn't about getting comission on the sales it's literally about keeping their min wage job, they need to meet sales quotas while working on the floor and each week if a member of the sales team is below their quota it's a free meeting with their manager, continuously below quota means you will either be left go , or have your head wrecked to the point where you'll just quit.

Likelyhood of someone still being in the same job in 6 months when the TV would show issues is fairly low so it wouldn't have any impact on that workers quota's anyways.

Jumpin said:
Werix357 said:
Just remember using a brick and mortar store supports more jobs.

What is the point of supporting an obsolete job?

That's counter-productive and hinders economic and social progress.

Well high unemployment ends up costing everyone.

Ganoncrotch said:
Azuren said:

Harveys here isn't about getting comission on the sales it's literally about keeping their min wage job, they need to meet sales quotas while working on the floor and each week if a member of the sales team is below their quota it's a free meeting with their manager, continuously below quota means you will either be left go , or have your head wrecked to the point where you'll just quit.

Likelyhood of someone still being in the same job in 6 months when the TV would show issues is fairly low so it wouldn't have any impact on that workers quota's anyways.

Well, that's not how Fry's works. Maybe shop at a better store instead of Harveys? 

Azuren said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Well, that's not how Fry's works. Maybe shop at a better store instead of Harveys? 

I do, all online though, not a ton of options for this sort of thing in the sunny south west of Ireland. Amazons staff are great, they are just the right amount of interaction for me when it comes to doing my shopping.

Ganoncrotch said:
Azuren said:

I do, all online though, not a ton of options for this sort of thing in the sunny south west of Ireland. Amazons staff are great, they are just the right amount of interaction for me when it comes to doing my shopping.

That's unfortunate.