By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think I'm done with brick and mortar stores for video game purchases

Where do you buy a majority of your games?

Online 15 39.47%

Stores 15 39.47%

Digital 8 21.05%

Total:38
sethnintendo said:

This weekend I was going to suck it up and go to Fry's Electronics and get a xbox one wireless pc controller.  I knew I was probably going to spend about 10 dollars more because I remember it was priced at $69.99 when Amazon have them for about $61 new right now.  I was fine coughing up the 10 for the spur of moment purchase.

I walk in and the damn thing is priced at $79.99.  I walk up to a little counter by the pc area and ask for a price check.  I should have just thrown a store like best buy or walmart but I just stated that this got bumped up from what it was a few weeks ago.  Person just said that it must have been on sale which I don't recall seeing it stated as a sale at the time.  I told him I'd get it elsewhere and was gone.  Ordered from Amazon today for 61 dollars new.  Only problem is I have to wait a few days for the free slow shipping. 

I'd rather wait a few days then have to drive in shit traffic and pay overpriced prices at a store.  I already was almost all Amazon but now I think I'll go 100% besides maybe going to mom and pop stores that have retro gaming.  Going to a retro gaming store makes some sense for used market over online especially if you are buying disc based games used (so you can inspect the disc before buying).

Welcome to the dark side brother! We have warm food, warm drinks and warm beds... 

Around the Network
Werix357 said:
Just remember using a brick and mortar store supports more jobs.

But Amazon supports progress, drones and robots and extra work for delivery truck drivers.

I buy my games and peripherals at my local store, do not want them to go out of business. Amazon only pretends to know my habits and won't secure a new console or psvr without asking and have it ready on day 1.

Amazon gets enough of my money already since I buy movies and books there. No local stores left that sell what I want.

I still use retailers over sites like Amazon to get games, but I'm getting it online a lot more than before..

Plus nothing is really stopping me from getting games on Amazon so if there is a good deal there, I definitely would get games there

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Honestly most of my buys are online as well... Its not often I go buy games at stores.

Sometimes if I happend by a shop, I ll stop buy and browse... and see if anything is on sale ect, occasionally pick up something if its really cheap.

If I don't buy digital I buy online. The online retailers pretty much always have better prices than the brick and mortar shops. A lot of B&M retailers have online sales as well. They've recognised that if you are not offering an online sales portal you are losing business.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Last time I bought a game in person was GTAV on 360 at launch.

They probably would have price matched it if you asked. Most major chains do for amazon.

I work at Fry's as a manager. We price match to Amazon, Best Buy, etc, and is literally our second biggest promotional endeavor (even my name tag says "we price match").

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

The only thing I buy at stores in person these days is groceries, been that way for years. Software and hardware and accessories are all bought online.

Mummelmann said:
The only thing I buy at stores in person these days is groceries, been that way for years. Software and hardware and accessories are all bought online.

Only the foolish would buy a TV online. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames