By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think I'm done with brick and mortar stores for video game purchases

Where do you buy a majority of your games?

Online 15 39.47%

Stores 15 39.47%

Digital 8 21.05%

Total:38

This weekend I was going to suck it up and go to Fry's Electronics and get a xbox one wireless pc controller.  I knew I was probably going to spend about 10 dollars more because I remember it was priced at $69.99 when Amazon have them for about $61 new right now.  I was fine coughing up the 10 for the spur of moment purchase.

I walk in and the damn thing is priced at $79.99.  I walk up to a little counter by the pc area and ask for a price check.  I should have just thrown a store like best buy or walmart but I just stated that this got bumped up from what it was a few weeks ago.  Person just said that it must have been on sale which I don't recall seeing it stated as a sale at the time.  I told him I'd get it elsewhere and was gone.  Ordered from Amazon today for 61 dollars new.  Only problem is I have to wait a few days for the free slow shipping. 

I'd rather wait a few days then have to drive in shit traffic and pay overpriced prices at a store.  I already was almost all Amazon but now I think I'll go 100% besides maybe going to mom and pop stores that have retro gaming.  Going to a retro gaming store makes some sense for used market over online especially if you are buying disc based games used (so you can inspect the disc before buying).

Around the Network

Yea I was done the moment amazon prime gave 20% off of pre-orders for games. Normally I would just go to walmart and get it since it is within walking distance and opens up at 8 but man, that 20% off is worth it.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

i was going to buy a white ps4 pro controller at besy buy last night it was..... 69.99 for a white one!!!! plus TAX!!!!! it is 46.99 at amazon!!! with no fucking tax

i will only go for their old games for the sales bin for now on

Captain_Yuri said:

Yea I was done the moment amazon prime gave 20% off of pre-orders for games. Normally I would just go to walmart and get it since it is within walking distance and opens up at 8 but man, that 20% off is worth it.

Oh I didn't know they did that.  I don't pre order too many games though but sounds like a good deal for those that do.  Didn't they raise the price on Prime from 99 to like 129 or something?

sethnintendo said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Oh I didn't know they did that.  I don't pre order too many games though but sounds like a good deal for those that do.  Didn't they raise the price on Prime from 99 to like 129 or something?

In some parts of the world. In canada since I joined prime via student and the discount is still valid for some reason, it is only $40 per year for me.

If you are in collage or if you have a child that is in collage, 110% get that asap!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

New games always Amazon for me for years. Retro games online and local shops.

Last year and this year did all christmas shopping via Amazon. I hate December traffic and generally same price or less.

Just remember using a brick and mortar store supports more jobs.

The only time I ever buy a game in a store is when I'm on vacation usually...

I mean, to be fair that was mostly just you not being a good consumer. If the price is higher, ask them if they price match, if not say "Alright, thank you" and leave. They didn't make you go there and I guarantee you that they don't pay the person who helped you enough to give a shit if you buy it somewhere else.

Also, where are you people that regular prices are different between a brick and mortar store and online?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.