By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think I'm done with brick and mortar stores for video game purchases

Where do you buy a majority of your games?

Online 15 39.47%

Stores 15 39.47%

Digital 8 21.05%

Total:38

I was done with them like 10 years ago once online retailers really came into prominence. There is literally no reason to buy from actual stores when that same game will be 25-50% less when buying from online retailers.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

1: I bought mine from Komplett, the Scandinavian Amazon in many ways (only miles better on customer service and warranties, been buying all my PC gear there for 12-13 years now). Not only are they auhorized dealers of all the biggest brands, they even have their own warranties that go beyond the manufacturer's in many cases. I bought a Sony TV.

Also, surprise: Komplett is NOT an authorized Sony retailer. I hope you bought their extended warranty. 

http://www.sony.com/retailers

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
Mummelmann said:

1: I bought mine from Komplett, the Scandinavian Amazon in many ways (only miles better on customer service and warranties, been buying all my PC gear there for 12-13 years now). Not only are they auhorized dealers of all the biggest brands, they even have their own warranties that go beyond the manufacturer's in many cases. I bought a Sony TV.

Also, surprise: Komplett is NOT an authorized Sony retailer. I hope you bought their extended warranty. 

EU law, they provide 24 month warranty regardless.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Azuren said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I do, all online though, not a ton of options for this sort of thing in the sunny south west of Ireland. Amazons staff are great, they are just the right amount of interaction for me when it comes to doing my shopping.

That's unfortunate. 

Yeah a small bit, but really things like PSN getting their act together with decent prices now and just how easy and fast shipping from online retailers is even for myself something from Amazon can be here by the end of the week so I love how online is taking over a bit in terms of being able to get goods which would otherwise literally take me a 3 hour bus trip to get to a nearby City to go and see.

I guess it's the same as everything, more choice of how to buy is never a bad thing for the customer, if you have good local stores like your place then go there for the staff and advice, if you are less fortunate in that regard you have Amazon to fall back on.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Azuren said:

That's unfortunate. 

Yeah a small bit, but really things like PSN getting their act together with decent prices now and just how easy and fast shipping from online retailers is even for myself something from Amazon can be here by the end of the week so I love how online is taking over a bit in terms of being able to get goods which would otherwise literally take me a 3 hour bus trip to get to a nearby City to go and see.

I guess it's the same as everything, more choice of how to buy is never a bad thing for the customer, if you have good local stores like your place then go there for the staff and advice, if you are less fortunate in that regard you have Amazon to fall back on.

Shopping online isn't bad, nor is digital. 

My point is buying a TV online is foolish, because the TV will only look as good as your phone or computer. 

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Azuren said:

EU law, they provide 24 month warranty regardless.

It's also a US law that they provide a 12 month warranty, but they somehow get away with it. 

Azuren said:
Ganoncrotch said:

My point is buying a TV online is foolish, because the TV will only look as good as your phone or computer. 

oh yeah I get what you mean, you are just at the mercy of user reviews of products if you have no chance at all to see them, but it can be very hard to get an idea of image quality by someone elses words in a review... as they say a picture is worth 1000 words, but I think it can require even more to describe a perfect 4k hdr image :)

Ganoncrotch said:
Azuren said:

oh yeah I get what you mean, you are just at the mercy of user reviews of products if you have no chance at all to see them, but it can be very hard to get an idea of image quality by someone elses words in a review... as they say a picture is worth 1000 words, but I think it can require even more to describe a perfect 4k hdr image :)

Your only real hope is Rtings.com, but they don't test for visual noise algorithms and they completely half-ass the upscaling tests. 

Azuren said:
Mummelmann said:

Surprise; Komplett is not a US store, it doesn't exist there, so official US Sony retailers have zero bearing on my rights with my purchases there and zero relevance at all. Komplett is only for Norway, Sweden and Denmark and are authorized to sell all the major brands in hi-fi and PC components. It's the biggest online retailer in all of the Nordic. You'll notice that not a single Swedish or Norwegian store is on that list of US retailers. Global = US argument? Typical vgchartz...

So, no, I didn't buy any extended warranty because I don't need it.

Their daughter company; MPX, is not an authorized Sony dealer, they only have rights to PC components and some household appliance manufacturers. MPX also have shit customer service and pretty poor pricing, so I don't shop there. Komplett is not the cheapest store, but it's by far the best I've ever used, all in all.

Mummelmann said:
Azuren said:

Surprise; Komplett is not a US store, it doesn't exist there, so official US Sony retailers have zero bearing on my rights with my purchases there and zero relevance at all. Komplett is only for Norway, Sweden and Denmark and are authorized to sell all the major brands in hi-fi and PC components. It's the biggest online retailer in all of the Nordic. You'll notice that not a single Swedish or Norwegian store is on that list of US retailers. Global = US argument? Typical vgchartz...

So, no, I didn't buy any extended warranty because I don't need it.

Their daughter company; MPX, is not an authorized Sony dealer, they only have rights to PC components and some household appliance manufacturers. MPX also have shit customer service and pretty poor pricing, so I don't shop there. Komplett is not the cheapest store, but it's by far the best I've ever used, all in all.

You seem to be under the impression that it matters from one country to another. Don't has plenty of non-US retailers listed as well, because they auhorize across the globe.

But you know, good luck with that.