By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: Are Turn based RPGs Dead?

Tagged games:

Are turn-based RPGs in mainstream gaming Dead?

Yeah guys......I know its sad. :-( 61 28.50%

NOO!!!!! NEVER!!! SHUT YOUR MOUTH! 153 71.50%

Total:214

The majority of RPGs and RPG sales are turn-based, especially when mobile is included.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
The majority of RPGs and RPG sales are turn-based, especially when mobile is included.

Because no one wants to play Action RPGs via a touch based screen on a phone.

Meanwhile turn based usually works out really well for rpgs, when controlls are limited.

So as long as smart phones are here, and people get rpgs on them, thats probably not gonna change.

Peh said:

Eh, they are kind of dead for me. I grew up with them, but nowadays, they are the lazy excuse of gameplay features. Especially those where you don't even see your teammates like Etrian Odyssey or Shin Megami Tensei. Those are the epitome of lazy visuals and fighting modes. I feel asleep during a battle with a monster.

I love both those series.... once again Im amazed by how much opinions can vary on games.

Same goes for me, I feel very differntly about them than you do though.

Peh said:

Eh, they are kind of dead for me. I grew up with them, but nowadays, they are the lazy excuse of gameplay features. Especially those where you don't even see your teammates like Etrian Odyssey or Shin Megami Tensei. Those are the epitome of lazy visuals and fighting modes. I feel asleep during a battle with a monster.

Cmon man, that is nonsense. Turn based allows you to connect with your whole party. It's not an excuse for technical limitations, it's a design tool and a good one. In FFXV your party members are mostly alot of repeated voice clips that follow you around, but unless you watched the anime they are just a bunch of monkeys you don't care very much about. You don't get to play as them. That is the biggest strength of turn based. You play as the party and not just the one character. That makes the narrative and events that much more powerful.

That and the more strategic gameplay ofc.

Theres lots of cheap ones aswell ofc, because it is a formula that can be cheapily used. I don't get convinced easily by those static 2D turn based games either, especially the ones where you can't see your party members. You don't have to enjoy all kinds of turn based to like some turn based just like you don't have to enjoy every actionRPG to be able to enjoy some ARPG's. Theres good ones and theres bad ones.

m_csquare said:
Nautilus said:

Funny thing is that you go on to say that opinion is subjective, that every person will feel different about the game and all,but then you go on and bash FF for getting away of criticism and suggesting that the past games are overrated and nowadays games are rated more "fairly".You go on to say about double standard, but here you you practicing it yourself.Please.

Well arent you a special snowflake?

It's actually pokemon. The only rpg where its non-existent story and empty chars are barely mentioned in reviews. And no, not even FF could get away from those two criticisms.

Tbh, if you actually MENTIONED what ppl are complaining abt ff, youd probably see the same issue handled worse in pokemon. But then again, it's pokemon.

Huh.Its usually FF that is called the JRPG king.But anyways.Graphics arent criticized simply because the game is in the 3DS.I personally find it stupid to say that the graphics sucks because they arent of PS4 level.Unless its completely terrible, you compare to other 3DS games, or what the 3DS is capable of.Story on the other hand, Ill agree that is lackluster.One of the reasons that i dont play Pokemon anymore.But then again, people says that Sumo story/narrative is actually decent, but, thats certainly something they need to work on.

But people go easier on Pokemon because it does flawlessly on what it does.People are going harder on FF (especially FFXV at the moment)simply because the game is:A)Not nearly as good as old games and,B) have distancied too far from franchise stamples, such as gameplay and overall game theme(high fantasy).It dosent mean the game is not good, is simply means people expected more out of it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
KingofTrolls said:
Augen said:
Not sure what constitutes alive or dead in this, but turn based has seemingly never been a dominant trend in western markets.

Not dominant, but mainstream. Turn based JRPGS were - back in the days - one of the best looking games in the market.

I think that is more an Eastern to Western shift in the market.  I love Japanese games, but as graphical show pieces they went from dominating consoles in the 90s, to trailing in 00s, and in 10s you get the rare game (FInal Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid) that sells well globally allowing them to compete with the budgets of major western titles.

Speicifcally for JRPGs the challenge is the scale of these games on SNES/PS1 was unparalleled and each new generation has meant a massive increase in budget to accomplish the same thing.  Having towns, over worlds, and dialog scene use to be sprites so nowhere near the detail one would demand now.  I can imagine FInal Fantasy VI, just the opera scene alone, would be a huge expense to replicate properly on a PS4 or similar console.

Faelco said:
Persona and Pokemon higher than ever, Neptunia and other smaller IPs growing non-stop... No, turn based RPGs are far from dead.

Yes, I agree. They're not dead. However, we don't have many titles as Pokemon out there any more.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

spemanig said:
The Fury said:
In pokemon? It's fine.

FF15 is only like it is because SquEnix wasted time and money on a spin-off which turned into a main series title instead. FF16 might have the ATB back and sell just as well.

It's a weird thing as we don't really know unless game developers actually make them and considering out of the 2 biggest franchises with turn based stuff in it, one of them didn't do it with their latest entry, it's hard to tell.

They're not doing it with 7R either. This is obviously more than just a one-game thing. I've been hearing murmuring of Square wanting to go in this direction with Final Fantasy for ages. Turn-based combat is purely a product of limited hardware not being able to replecate the grand combat visions of their creators. It let the players imagine what the technology could not portray.

That's not the case anymore, so you're seeing it naturally go away. Now when a player sees turn-based combat, there are already real-time games that are doing all of the crazy moves being implied in turn-based games like with Bayonetta or God of War, so a player looks at it and thinks "why am I just waiting to be attacked when games exist where I can do the same thing in real time?"

Pokemon has 802 characters, many with different forms, to model and animate. That's why you're not seeing it in real time. Money. But, like I said, I think Pokemon will catch up and go real time as they've been future proofing since XY.

Azuren said:
No, but I believe for games like Final Fantasy it's time to let it continue evolving and to quit complaining about it moving in a better direction. There's still plenty of high profile IPs that use turn by turn, though, such as Bravely and Pokemon.

My personal belief, though, is that turn based is a relic from an age in gaming where real time combat was cumbersome and not worth the effort. Even the best of the best, like Zelda and Mana, still don't feel as fluid as they could be by today's standards. I don't believe it should stop being a thing... But less of it certainly doesn't hurt my feelings.

Interesting idea. But don't you think that Turn Based later on became somehow a genre in itself?

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

SegataSanshiro said:
Persona 5
Xenoblade Chronicles X (yes it is turn based,turn based has multiple forms)
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon Quest XI
Shin Megami Tensei IV The Apocalypse
Pokemon
Bravely Default series
Exit Archive
Fire Emblem
Trails of Cold Steel 1,2 and 3
Project X Zone
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Child of Light

Just a few examples of recent and soon to be releases. So far from it. There is actually fewer ARPGs

I agree with you, but many titles you and others listed in this thread aren't mainstream.

In the end, the genre is not dead but it's having a hard time being in the mainstream scene.

God bless You.

SegataSanshiro said:
JRPGfan said:
Do you guys consider the ATB system from final fantasy XIII as turn based?

It absolutely is. Xenoblade is turn based. There is a misconception turn based is just one thing. Dragon Quest. Not true. Dragon Age Origins is turn based. The basis of turn based is stats and timing. Turn based can be presented to look more action but the mechanics work the same. Your level your stats your timing all matter. ARPG stats don't determine timing. Closest to that is the Ys bump system which is stats and position not timing. So it's ALMOST turn based. Turn based does not always mean selecting from a menu. That is confusing actual mechanics with presentation. If your stats are important to the timing in a battle when you and a enemy attack that is the core basis of turn based.

I agree that games like XC are turn based.

I get that usually you have your turn and the foe his turn and one has to wait for the other's move, but still I don't think the"turn based" idea should be that strict. In games like XC you don't move freely, you've got to wait for your turn base on move's loading times. It's somehow acts like "turn based".

God bless You.