By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: Are Turn based RPGs Dead?

Tagged games:

Are turn-based RPGs in mainstream gaming Dead?

Yeah guys......I know its sad. :-( 61 28.50%

NOO!!!!! NEVER!!! SHUT YOUR MOUTH! 153 71.50%

Total:214
Kuksenkov said:
Not dead for sure, but they're not as predominantly the most popular ones anymore. Gone are the fifth and sixth gens, and the turn based RPGs suffered from that.

Although I do prefer turn based combat, its kinda hard to sit down and wait, sometimes the games or combat become tedious do that nature.

I'll always praise Tri-Ace for Star Ocean The Last Hope though, that's probably the most dynamic and fluent combat system I've played in a JRPG. True bliss.

star ocean was fantastic...

looks like turn based isnt really dead...just irrelevant...

sure pokemon is popular but do you wanna be the company that made a pokemon clone...or the game that is like pokemon...

*coughsdigimon...

Around the Network
0D0 said:
spemanig said:

They're not doing it with 7R either. This is obviously more than just a one-game thing. I've been hearing murmuring of Square wanting to go in this direction with Final Fantasy for ages. Turn-based combat is purely a product of limited hardware not being able to replecate the grand combat visions of their creators. It let the players imagine what the technology could not portray.

That's not the case anymore, so you're seeing it naturally go away. Now when a player sees turn-based combat, there are already real-time games that are doing all of the crazy moves being implied in turn-based games like with Bayonetta or God of War, so a player looks at it and thinks "why am I just waiting to be attacked when games exist where I can do the same thing in real time?"

Pokemon has 802 characters, many with different forms, to model and animate. That's why you're not seeing it in real time. Money. But, like I said, I think Pokemon will catch up and go real time as they've been future proofing since XY.

Azuren said:
No, but I believe for games like Final Fantasy it's time to let it continue evolving and to quit complaining about it moving in a better direction. There's still plenty of high profile IPs that use turn by turn, though, such as Bravely and Pokemon.

My personal belief, though, is that turn based is a relic from an age in gaming where real time combat was cumbersome and not worth the effort. Even the best of the best, like Zelda and Mana, still don't feel as fluid as they could be by today's standards. I don't believe it should stop being a thing... But less of it certainly doesn't hurt my feelings.

Interesting idea. But don't you think that Turn Based later on became somehow a genre in itself?

Definitely.

Nem said:
Peh said:

Eh, they are kind of dead for me. I grew up with them, but nowadays, they are the lazy excuse of gameplay features. Especially those where you don't even see your teammates like Etrian Odyssey or Shin Megami Tensei. Those are the epitome of lazy visuals and fighting modes. I feel asleep during a battle with a monster.

Cmon man, that is nonsense. Turn based allows you to connect with your whole party. It's not an excuse for technical limitations, it's a design tool and a good one. In FFXV your party members are mostly alot of repeated voice clips that follow you around, but unless you watched the anime they are just a bunch of monkeys you don't care very much about. You don't get to play as them. That is the biggest strength of turn based. You play as the party and not just the one character. That makes the barrative and events that much more powerful.

That and the more strategic gameplay ofc.

Theres lots of cheap ones aswell ofc, because it is a formula that can be cheapily used. I don't get convinced easily by those static 2D turn based games either, especially the ones where you can't see your party members. You don't have to enjoy all kinds of turn based to like some turn based just like you don't have to enjoy every actionRPG to be able to enjoy some ARPG's. Theres good ones and theres bad ones.

I kinda grew out of it. Bravely Default was the last one I finished. The Story was meh, the characters where meh and in retrospect the gameplay was also meh. They gave you a lot of options to customize your character, but it got boring and I just kept on going in order to finish the story and never touched it again. I skipped the sequel.

I also bought Dragon Quest 7 for the 3ds, but dropped the game after island 6 or 7. I thought I could go on with the Akira Toriyama character design, but it just got annoying. So, it wasn't the aspect that it was turn based, but that it was boring altogether.

I also bought Pokemon moon, and I don't know how long I will keep on going. Havn't played it for days now.

I guess, as long as the story is really good and the characters are really good, I can keep on playing even if it is turn based. But the turn based gameplay has to meet some visual aspects for me to consider.

Recently I've checked the 3DS e-shop and saw 7th dragon 3. "Looks neat. Let's give it a deeper look". But as soon as I saw the battle gameplay I said NOPE!

Developers can do way better than this. I am not in the mood of playing such games.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I kinda grew out of it. Bravely Default was the last one I finished. The Story was meh, the characters where meh and in retrospect the gameplay was also meh. They gave you a lot of options to customize your character, but it got boring and I just kept on going in order to finish the story and never touched it again. I skipped the sequel.

I wonder if... Turned based should be allowed as a feature for younger audiences (aka pokemon). Sometimes kids have trouble with fast action games and quick decision making. FFXV battles can get fast for me sometimes it took me an hour or so to get used to them.

squibbfire said:

I wonder if... Turned based should be allowed as a feature for younger audiences (aka pokemon). Sometimes kids have trouble with fast action games and quick decision making. FFXV battles can get fast for me sometimes it took me an hour or so to get used to them.

Same is true for adults too. Plently of "casuals" would probably enjoy turn based rpgs, and get eased into gameing.

Around the Network
Augen said:

I can imagine FInal Fantasy VI, just the opera scene alone, would be a huge expense to replicate properly on a PS4 or similar console.

I think this gen games are step in right direction ( ironically, thanks to PS4 and X1 that are not these RAW power monsters people here want them to be ) - more content, more freedom, creative ideas, more options, less graphics whoring. The only issue here is that hardly any game can creates WOW effect now ( u have to actually dig well into the game's system, mechanics and lore to feel that wow effect but it will takes time so its weaken somehow ), but i prefer the route we are now and I want it to stay with us. 

Ok I did kinda Offtop here so one last word from me for now on topic - turn based RPGS are - speaking of my own experience - disgustingly and artefically elongated, u have to actually waste a lot of time just to get enough level or proper equipment, mosty what can be achieved only by boring grind or doin tons of boring fetch guest ( i always play RPG at easy level because i only want to rush to the fabula's end ).

And last but not least - turn based combat system feels so artifical if we want to symulate might/magic fights. It just doenst work that way. Real fight is all about speed.

can't wait for South Park :)

KingofTrolls said:
Augen said:

I can imagine FInal Fantasy VI, just the opera scene alone, would be a huge expense to replicate properly on a PS4 or similar console.

I think this gen games are step in right direction ( ironically, thanks to PS4 and X1 that are not these RAW power monsters people here want them to be ) - more content, more freedom, creative ideas, more options, less graphics whoring. The only issue here is that hardly any game can creates WOW effect now ( u have to actually dig well into the game's system, mechanics and lore to feel that wow effect but it will takes time so its weaken somehow ), but i prefer the route we are now and I want it to stay with us. 

This picture is how i think most people view...ff12, ff13 and FF16.

KingofTrolls said:
Augen said:

Ok I did kinda Offtop here so one last word from me for now on topic - turn based RPGS are - speaking of my own experience - disgustingly and artefically elongated, u have to actually waste a lot of time just to get enough level or proper equipment, mosty what can be achieved only by boring grind or doin tons of boring fetch guest ( i always play RPG at easy level because i only want to rush to the fabula's end ).

And last but not least - turn based combat system feels so artifical if we want to symulate might/magic fights. It just doenst work that way. Real fight is all about speed.

Seriously... what the hell?! Turn based and how grindy a game is a totally separate topic. ActionRPG's can be grindy too! Actually FFXV can be grindy aswell.

Magic fights are not real! How can you assume they go? >.<

Turn based has different advantages. It can be slower paced but it involves more thinking and reward of that thought. Its not a mindless spam of buttons. It also has the advantage that you control multiple character at once rather than only one. Neither one is bad. Both gave advantages and disavantages and both can be good or bad depending on how they are executed. The action combat in FFXV iwn't great, wich is why lots of people are missing the turn based battles. They were more varied and engrossing with your options.

Speed of combat alone really isn't what makes a game great.

Peh said:
Nem said:

Cmon man, that is nonsense. Turn based allows you to connect with your whole party. It's not an excuse for technical limitations, it's a design tool and a good one. In FFXV your party members are mostly alot of repeated voice clips that follow you around, but unless you watched the anime they are just a bunch of monkeys you don't care very much about. You don't get to play as them. That is the biggest strength of turn based. You play as the party and not just the one character. That makes the barrative and events that much more powerful.

That and the more strategic gameplay ofc.

Theres lots of cheap ones aswell ofc, because it is a formula that can be cheapily used. I don't get convinced easily by those static 2D turn based games either, especially the ones where you can't see your party members. You don't have to enjoy all kinds of turn based to like some turn based just like you don't have to enjoy every actionRPG to be able to enjoy some ARPG's. Theres good ones and theres bad ones.

I also bought Dragon Quest 7 for the 3ds, but dropped the game after island 6 or 7. I thought I could go on with the Akira Toriyama character design, but it just got annoying. So, it wasn't the aspect that it was turn based, but that it was boring altogether.

I also bought Pokemon moon, and I don't know how long I will keep on going. Havn't played it for days now.

I guess, as long as the story is really good and the characters are really good, I can keep on playing even if it is turn based. But the turn based gameplay has to meet some visual aspects for me to consider.

Recently I've checked the 3DS e-shop and saw 7th dragon 3. "Looks neat. Let's give it a deeper look". But as soon as I saw the battle gameplay I said NOPE!

Developers can do way better than this. I am not in the mood of playing such games.

There's no such thing as outgrowing something. Your tastes may simply change.

I do agree with most of what you said. Bravely is a grindy RPG formula, so i avoided it. I see this going on alot. Mixing turn-based with grindy.

I avoided all the games you mentioned, except pokemon. Wich i haven't gotten (sun/moon) cause i played alpha saphire this year and i want to pace myself. Anyways, notice how you are glueing turn based to portable, less graphicaly intensive games. Wich 3DS Action RPG's have you not grew bored of recently?

Try playing a persona 4 or 5. A xenoblade X, a tokyo mIrage sessions. Something that has modern graphics and aren't designed as grind fests. There is nothing wrong with turn based. It's just the stigmas that some can't separate between turn based, grindy and graphics.

And the thing is, if say square were to make a turn based FF mainline title again, due to this formula they would be able to make an even more visually impressive game than the one that has action based combat.

The final line is that it's all in the execution. I wish people would understand that. Both turn-based and action can be awesome, or turds, depending on how they are executed and wich system they are in.