By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: Are Turn based RPGs Dead?

Tagged games:

Are turn-based RPGs in mainstream gaming Dead?

Yeah guys......I know its sad. :-( 61 28.50%

NOO!!!!! NEVER!!! SHUT YOUR MOUTH! 153 71.50%

Total:214
SegataSanshiro said:
Azuren said:

If your best friend teaches game design, then maybe you should get together with him and examine what a "turn" is. If I'm playing a game that uses ATB, enemies aren't going to wait their turn, they'll attack while I'm making my decision.

Again stats play into timing. Your characters stats. Enemy stats as well. You don't get it fine. Tired of explaining.

Or you're tired of fighting an uphill battle because you know that turn-based means actual turns.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
Pokemon sells like 10M copies for a reason.

Well yeah, because it's Pokemon. They could release "Pokemon Shit and Pokemon Piss" next and literally shit and piss into the jewel cases for at least a million sales, most of which came from pre-orders.

Not that Pokemon is bad. It just simply can't underperform. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Azuren said:

Firstly, when you say "x sucks, went can't they do y instead", it's subjective. The only way to view statements like that as objective is to view it as a community, and most of us? We like it.

Secondly, yes it does. It shows that your wants are the unpopular, and you will continue to be left behind in your hate.

And finally, it has a full point higher AND an 8.0/10 rather than a 7.3/10. And FFXIII was also a heavily hyped game, so it's unsurprising that it still outsold at launch.

Nope, it`s never possible to view statements like that objectively. Regardless of how many people may think something is better than something else that will never make it true, it just means a lot of people think that way.

And also, why does it feel like I`m being accused of stating my opinion as fact here when actually it`s the opposite. I technically haven`t even given my opinion in this exchange, I`ve merely been calling you out for stating your opinion as fact, because regardless of the number of people that share that opinion it simply won`t ever be a fact.

Except you can, because majority rules. 

And no, you've been stating your opinion as fact just as often. Don't act so high and mighty when you're doing the same. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Azuren said:

Except you can, because majority rules. 

And no, you've been stating your opinion as fact just as often. Don't act so high and mighty when you're doing the same. 

Extreme example but... remember that time when the Earth was flat? People thought it was flat therefore that was a fact and it was actually flat... right? Facts aren`t democracies. Something is either true or it isn`t, no amount of people agreeing or disagreeing is ever going to change that and something entirely opinion based such as a game being good or bad simply isn`t a fact and never will be.

Well then if and when I do the same feel free to call me out on it, I don`t believe I`ve done so in this exchange so far though.

Except that was a provable fact. Just like it's a provable fact that most enjoy FFXV, and that the haters are just an overly vocal minority. 

Noo.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
m_csquare said:

Well arent you a special snowflake?

I, for one, rated ffxv 10points lower than metacritic, but that doesnt mean my opinion is more important than theirs. Ppl weigh different things differently. I think story and character are much more important in rpg, but others maybe dont.

But then again double standard exist. The so-called king of jrpg (you knw what it is) could get away with terribad story and super outdated graphic, while others would always get bashed if they have the same issues.

And please.. the current standard is different than standard from 10 years ago. We dont see 9s and 10s thrown at every game nowadays.

Funny thing is that you go on to say that opinion is subjective, that every person will feel different about the game and all,but then you go on and bash FF for getting away of criticism and suggesting that the past games are overrated and nowadays games are rated more "fairly".You go on to say about double standard, but here you you practicing it yourself.Please.

Well arent you a special snowflake?

It's actually pokemon. The only rpg where its non-existent story and empty chars are barely mentioned in reviews. And no, not even FF could get away from those two criticisms.

Tbh, if you actually MENTIONED what ppl are complaining abt ff, youd probably see the same issue handled worse in pokemon. But then again, it's pokemon.

They are as dead as fighting games and shmups.
I have no doubt we will still get a lot of good turn based RPGs.

spemanig said:
The Fury said:

FF15 is only like it is because SquEnix wasted time and money on a spin-off which turned into a main series title instead. FF16 might have the ATB back and sell just as well.

They're not doing it with 7R either. This is obviously more than just a one-game thing. I've been hearing murmuring of Square wanting to go in this direction with Final Fantasy for ages. Turn-based combat is purely a product of limited hardware not being able to replecate the grand combat visions of their creators. It let the players imagine what the technology could not portray.

That's not the case anymore, so you're seeing it naturally go away. Now when a player sees turn-based combat, there are already real-time games that are doing all of the crazy moves being implied in turn-based games like with Bayonetta or God of War, so a player looks at it and thinks "why am I just waiting to be attacked when games exist where I can do the same thing in real time?"

Pokemon has 802 characters, many with different forms, to model and animate. That's why you're not seeing it in real time. Money. But, like I said, I think Pokemon will catch up and go real time as they've been future proofing since XY.

Which is why I said FF16 and not FF7R. FF15 is out, FF7R is way off, you really think they are only working on one FF game right now and it's a remake of an old game? Yeah, they are working on FF16 and have probably been working on it a while.

This idea that SquEnix have trying to move away from turn based because it was a limit of technology is bullcrap, they could have easily made FF5 or 6 to be just like Zelda on the SNES but didn't because their game style and gameplay was a turn based RPG. They carried on this with PS era and beyond. There are parts of older FF games that an action RPG could never replicate just because of character movement, lost would be grand summons, awesome magic spells and animations all so the character can move freely on the battle field. 

If Game Freak wanted to put in individual animations for all 802 pokemon, they could and would. The certainly are not hard up for money to do such a thing.

Your point about people waiting to take their turn is off too, those people are impatient and in reality, shouldn't be interested in turn based and therefore FF games. They want to not wait, go play one of the many games that allows for this. Like comparing chess to football.

JRPGfan said:
Do you guys consider the ATB system from final fantasy XIII as turn based?

In a sense, sure half your actions are removed from you but you have to wait for a timer to reach it's peak before making a move, same as the FFs before it. It's just those moves are limited in choice, action and control because SquEnix didn't want us to play their game.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:

Which is why I said FF16 and not FF7R. FF15 is out, FF7R is way off, you really think they are only working on one FF game right now and it's a remake of an old game? Yeah, they are working on FF16 and have probably been working on it a while.

Given how long they take to release... that`s definitely a possibility

Well, they could be working on FF16 and 17 but you know, with release dates on in 2022 and 2028 respectively. Turn based isn't 'dead' because people are losing interest in turn based RPGs, they are losing interest in waiting for the next FF game. 

Hmm, pie.

Eh, they are kind of dead for me. I grew up with them, but nowadays, they are the lazy excuse of gameplay features. Especially those where you don't even see your teammates like Etrian Odyssey or Shin Megami Tensei. Those are the epitome of lazy visuals and fighting modes. I feel asleep during a battle with a monster.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3