By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Switch's processing power important to you?

Is it?

Very, I won't buy it if it's weak 171 25.26%

Moderately so 281 41.51%

Not really 127 18.76%

No, power doesn't matter to me 63 9.31%

No, cos I'm not buying one 35 5.17%

Total:677

Only to the extent that I want it to see decent 3rd party support. I know 1st party will be great and that is why I'll buy one, but I would prefer to also enjoy 3rd party games I do buy on the same console.

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
JWeinCom said:

You still want it though.  Wanting something doesn't mean you like everything about it.

First off, TF are not necessarily an accurate measurement of power.  Secondly, do you have a source that confirms the Switch is 1.5 TF?

Mostly the rumors actually. But it will not be a dramatically big difference. It's on the XONE's ballpark at least.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=222261

You should check out my thread.

1.5 TFLOP for Switch is bogus that's the FP16 number, divide that by two to get a more accurate representation.

For me ... no I don't really care that much *buuuuuuuut* even Breath of the Wild is starting to look a bit dated as we start to see more and more higher end PS4 games.

Also it's probably going to suck being stuck at 720p mostly for another generation because 1080p is hard for XB1 as is, something even below that is going to struggle even moreso.

For Nintendo's cartoony styled games like Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Mario, it should be fine. I don't think Nintendo really even used all the Wii U's power until games like BoTW and Xenoblade X.

It's mainly a portable device, I don't see anyone but the hardcore Nintendo fans using it as their only console, so as a portable it's very powerful. Battery life though ... well you may want to carry an extra battery if you play a lot on the go. 

Soundwave said:

For me ... no I don't really care that much *buuuuuuuut* even Breath of the Wild is starting to look a bit dated as we start to see more and more higher end PS4 games.

Also it's probably going to suck being stuck at 720p mostly for another generation because 1080p is hard for XB1 as is, something even below that is going to struggle even moreso.

For Nintendo's cartoony styled games like Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Mario, it should be fine. I don't think Nintendo really even used all the Wii U's power until games like BoTW and Xenoblade X.

I think a part of that is due to all the delays; had BotW launched in 2015 alongside the likes of Xenoblade Chronicles X and Splatoon, it would have held up very nicely, but now that it'll be arriving alongside Switch titles like the new 3D Mario, it's going to really show its age even by the standards of its fellow Nintendo titles. This is one of the big problems with Zelda's absurdly long dev cycles, by the time the games come out they already look dated.

And being stuck at 720p is better than the alternative; shooting for 1080p and as a result not looking much better than Wii U in terms of shaders, effects, etc.

Agreed on the third point.

superchunk said:
AsGryffynn said:

Mostly the rumors actually. But it will not be a dramatically big difference. It's on the XONE's ballpark at least.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=222261

You should check out my thread.

I don't really understand much of that.  Do you have a for dummies version?

Around the Network
CreativeAlternative said:
Too much power can lead to dangerous things. Sony is the Trump of the gaming industry. Too powerful and morally despicable to uneducated white males. I want a gaming company to behave morally above others like the Pope and Mormons. With switch they do so by creating a family friendly environment where power comes from superior belief systems and not power that divides people like Mr. Trump. Nintendo is the true one that can make America great again.

I would have thought of Xbox as the Trump of the gaming industry. Not the popular vote, but better than the competition in almost every way.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

I think a part of that is due to all the delays; had BotW launched in 2015 alongside the likes of Xenoblade Chronicles X and Splatoon, it would have held up very nicely, but now that it'll be arriving alongside Switch titles like the new 3D Mario, it's going to really show its age even by the standards of its fellow Nintendo titles. This is one of the big problems with Zelda's absurdly long dev cycles, by the time the games come out they already look dated.

And being stuck at 720p is better than the alternative; shooting for 1080p and as a result not looking much better than Wii U in terms of shaders, effects, etc.

Yeah but to be fair I still think that XCX will be a better open world than Zelda. Monolith Soft is a master of the open world and scale at this point. They are such masters that Nintendo is using them to assist on BotW. I think that even when it launches, XCX will be the better open world.

bunchanumbers said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah but to be fair I still think that XCX will be a better open world than Zelda. Monolith Soft is a master of the open world and scale at this point. They are such masters that Nintendo is using them to assist on BotW. I think that even when it launches, XCX will be the better open world.

All I meant was that Breath of the Wild would likely have looked better graphically alongside XCX than alongside Switch games.

Soundwave said:

It's mainly a portable device, I don't see anyone but the hardcore Nintendo fans using it as their only console, so as a portable it's very powerful. Battery life though ... well you may want to carry an extra battery if you play a lot on the go. 

This is wrong.. (or at best.. only looking at a very small part of the marked)

If Nintendo can convince people that a "all in one Nintendo" is worth theire money.. Most  will not own a "this gen homeconsole".. and will therefor offcourse use it at a tv when they are home/at thiere room

Remember.. a very big % of buyers/users  of any game system ARE NOT people that.. lets say know anything about the Switch at this moment.. They are parents/kids and/or just picks up whats look fun.. usefull or/and has the right price.. (and especally when it comes to Switch its more true than ever)

Moderately so

There's a yes and no feel for me personally.

The No part is easy.

1. I know Terga's performance should be above the last-gen consoles at worst, considering the Tegra X1 chip was when developers actually took advantage of the hardware, meanwhile the Switch is using Tegra's X1 successor.

2. Nintendo has proven over the last 2 gens and tons of handhelds that power alone doesn't make great games, especially when it comes to their exclusives. They have their own artstyle and their games perform well and look great because of it, even when the competition is several times more powerful. You don't need the most powerful game engine to make games look amazing, when you have a talented team of artist and game programmers.

3. And last but not least It's a gaming tablet, no matter how much Nintendo tries to say otherwise, so my expectation of performance is greatly tapered, because I've had gaming tablets and looked up 2:1 laptops in the $200 - $500 range (NVIDIA Shield tablet, looked up Yoga 9 for my new laptop) and I know their performance isn't the greatest when it comes to gaming.

They can get the job done, but they're not touching a dedicated gaming laptop or current console in performance.

So my expectations are significantly more in line than someone who thinks the Switch is about to be as powerful as a original PS4 / XBO. If it's reaches XBO performance good for them and a bonus, but in reality I'm expecting a middle ground between Wii U and XBO as far as performance goes, which isn't great for a 2017 console, but is more than enough for a 2017 handheld hybrid.

Now the reasons it matter

1. 3rd party developer support will live or die based on how easy it is to port games over to Switch, and performance is one of those key aspects. Plain and simple if a game can't easily be ported from the PC versions low settings, then that game isn't coming to Nintendo Switch in 99% of the cases when it comes to western 3rd party support post Year 1.

2. While Nintendo has proven they can do wonders with low-end hardware, it still leaves the sinking feeling they could have done so much more with even better hardware and it does hold their games back in that regard especially someone who knows they could have had significantly more power with what's available to them at the time for the price they're selling their hardware. This doesn't really apply to the Switch because we don't know the price, and because the hardware by all means will be great for a gaming tablet, but it does apply to the console aspect of it.

3. This is a 2017 device that's supposed to last for 5+ years (2022), with hardware weaker than the current weakest console on the market that launched in 2013 (3 years ago). So once again 3rd party support will likely dry up quick, especially since we'll likely have PS5 and XB4 by 2020.