By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Switch's processing power important to you?

Is it?

Very, I won't buy it if it's weak 171 25.26%

Moderately so 281 41.51%

Not really 127 18.76%

No, power doesn't matter to me 63 9.31%

No, cos I'm not buying one 35 5.17%

Total:677
JWeinCom said:
superchunk said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=222261

You should check out my thread.

I don't really understand much of that.  Do you have a for dummies version?

The best rumors... the ones people who have actually stated facts that were proven true are that NS is not equal or XboxOne... it's less than XboxOne. 

The CPU is actually better in NS as the Jaguar in XboxOne/PS4 is a craptastic low-power mobile CPU that has plenty of docs to show that ARM is better... and yes it is just as easy now to put shit on ARM as it is X86 so don't preach that BS.

However, the GPU is definitely less than Xbox One which is in turn less than PS4. This doesn't mean games could not be ported to NS, just that they will need to be lower graphically... i.e. scaled down. Where WiiU flatly could not be ported to once they moved on from PS360 middleware (and it wasn't worth the cost to make that technology work with WiiU), the NS can be ported to based on out-of-the-box functionality on the most significant middleware such as Unity/Unreal/etc. Once EA adds the functionality (low cost) for their tools, which will be required for mainstream stuff like Madden and Star Wars, they will have every incintive to put every other game on there as well. (same with any other dev specific tooling)

Base XboxOne/PS4 will be around for a few more years and as such, scaling to those systems will be important meaning it won't be much of an issue to push to NS as is. Then in 3-ish years when the next XBoxOne/PS5 is coming, Nintendo can pull a PS4Pro/Scorpio with the NS and keep up the trend of being a low bar tech machine with the best first party line-up known to man.

So... power isn't the big issue at this point... the supportive tech/middleware is where it is at. So long as NS is low cost with excellent Nintendo exclusives, it can do very well in the market and will only be better off with 3rd party support too.

Around the Network

In some way, Nintendo will make great looking games with power thats stronger than Wii U, they made good looking game even with Wii hardware and great looking games with Wii U hardware. Whats important for Switch is that technically will be very modern console, that really couldn't be said for Wii and Wii U.

FromDK said:
Soundwave said:

It's mainly a portable device, I don't see anyone but the hardcore Nintendo fans using it as their only console, so as a portable it's very powerful. Battery life though ... well you may want to carry an extra battery if you play a lot on the go. 

This is wrong.. (or at best.. only looking at a very small part of the marked)

If Nintendo can convince people that a "all in one Nintendo" is worth theire money.. Most  will not own a "this gen homeconsole".. and will therefor offcourse use it at a tv when they are home/at thiere room

Remember.. a very big % of buyers/users  of any game system ARE NOT people that.. lets say know anything about the Switch at this moment.. They are parents/kids and/or just picks up whats look fun.. usefull or/and has the right price.. (and especally when it comes to Switch its more true than ever)

That bus already sailed. 

Most people are buying a Playstation 4 this generation and nothing you or Nintendo say is going to stop that now. Waaaaaaaaaay too late for that now. 

That genie is not only out of the bottle, he's doing muscial numbers with a monkey at this point. 

The best Nintendo can do is convince 3DS owners to buy a Switch (most Wii U owners are 3DS owners too) and then maybe hope that the remaining console side crowd that has a PS4 (or XBox in the US) might be willing to join in. 

Or by some miracle they convince the casual gamers that they need more than just the thousands of free/$1 games on their smartphones/tablets/Facebook for the 15 minutes/every 2 days they might play a video game and convince them they need to spend another $250-$300 on a whole game dedicated platform again and get back into buying $40-$60 for just one game (and to that I say good fucking luck, Nintendo). 

If they promoted it as a handheld, it would be moderately important, but since they incist its a home console, I feel like it should compete with other offerings in the home console market to be a buy for me

Twitter @CyberMalistix

What worries me is gigaflop performance is fine and dandy, but there are still a lot of potential bottlenecks to using mobile chips.

Memory bandwidth is a huge problem for one since Nintendo can't use eDRAM on 14nm/16nm design, eSRAM is a nightmare (ask MS about the XBox One) for a home-only device, it would be almost unworkable on a hybrid device.

You can do things like increase to a 256-bit bus, but that is not only pricey but it also sucks power like crazy. GDDR5 is a non-starter for a portable device.

Polygon count, fill rate, are also other issues.

Around the Network

Disappointed in it as i doubt they will make a home console now.

My only hope is they have a supplementary unit lol

Seeing how much trouble Nintendo is having getting even Zelda: BotW out (one of basically only 2 "epic" scaled games on the Wii U from them, the other being Xenoblade X) ... I mean realistically how long do you think it would take them to adjust to making games that visually are on par with Horizon, Final Fantasy XV, Uncharted 4, etc.

It would take forrrrrrrrrrrrever for them to complete a Zelda, lol. This generation even Sony/MS/third parties have taken a long time, virtually every major title seems to have been delayed 1-2 times. 

I don't think Nintendo was all that enthusiastic about that whole idea anyway, spend more money making the same games without growing the audience is not a great business proposition least of all to Nintendo. Sony/MS do it because they're beholden to the "epic gaming" crowd and have no choice but to continue to feed them that style of gaming even if it means the games cost more and more and can sink a studio if they don't sell well.

I wouldn't be all that shocked honestly if Switch is not *that* much more powerful than the Wii U in actual practice. I think Nvidia overstates some of the performance claims of their Tegra line too, the Tegra X1 had one really good PS3/360 port (Doom 3 BFG Edition), but even that had significant cut backs on model/texture complexity.

I think Nintendo is just fine and dandy working on PS3/360/Wii U-level graphics. Zelda and Xenoblade X probably already cost too much as is in their eyes.

Yes and no.

No because games matter most and you don t need the processing power of a PS4 to make great games.

Yes because Nintendo isn t what it used to be. Their games are getting lazy, they make too much of the same games, they don t make enough mature games, not enough new IP, not enough game for gamers. All that adds up to the need for the switch to have a really strong third party support. And to have that, the switch needs to have a good enough processing power that is close enough to the ones in the Ps4 and One.

CreativeAlternative said:
Too much power can lead to dangerous things. Sony is the Trump of the gaming industry. Too powerful and morally despicable to uneducated white males. I want a gaming company to behave morally above others like the Pope and Mormons. With switch they do so by creating a family friendly environment where power comes from superior belief systems and not power that divides people like Mr. Trump. Nintendo is the true one that can make America great again.

Thats super insulting. 

You need a ban

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
CreativeAlternative said:
Too much power can lead to dangerous things. Sony is the Trump of the gaming industry. Too powerful and morally despicable to uneducated white males. I want a gaming company to behave morally above others like the Pope and Mormons. With switch they do so by creating a family friendly environment where power comes from superior belief systems and not power that divides people like Mr. Trump. Nintendo is the true one that can make America great again.

Thats super insulting. 

You need a ban

No its satire and freedom of speach. It isn't meant to be taken seriously, besides even I as Sony fan call them the darkside of gaming. I do wonder how they are more despicable then Nintendo though, especially considering the year the Wii U has had in comparison to Sony. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar