By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Xbox Rant - MS needs to step up their game

Valid rant 156 73.58%

Invalid rant 56 26.42%

Total:212
vivster said:
Why though? Just let them step out of the race and make their games Windows exclusives.

Don't make me throw you off the sled... 

Snoopy said:

All the exclusive games they showed at psx won't be here for a while pretty much and will be 2018 at the EARLIEST. They always end up delayed or what not. Microsoft has deliver one of the best racers, sand box game, fighting game, third person and first person shooter. This year alone we gotten Quantum Break, Killer Instinct season 3, Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, Recore and soon Dead Rising 4. That is pretty good and a lot better in my opinion than Sony had to offer this year. I liked uncharted 4 a lot , but didn't care for sf5 due to lack of content and terrible netcode/delay. Not sure how TLG is going to be, but it looks rather disappointing to be quite honest. And yes I know a lot of the xbox games are on the PC as well, but a lot of people don't view pc machines as viable gaming machines. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Slade6alpha said:
If you look at it just Xbox, then yes, but MS is Xbox and PC, in which case I feel they right now delivering the best out of the three.

They are, but truthfully, was 2005 through 2008 any different in third party development quality from Microsoft? Sure...Halo and Gears are developed solely by in-house studios now, but has anything truly changed?

Back then they had a head which invested in a lot of things. While Spencer seems closer to Robbie Bach, he seems wary of investing in new IPs, especially when none have been rated around ninety one or higher... 

Snoopy said:
aLkaLiNE said:

I'm not sure if you understood my post correctly, but the point I was getting across is that all of those games were delayed in addition to being prematurely announced 3 years before launch... Which is literally what you were just complaining about here 

So let me reiterate the first half of my post: 5 AAA Microsoft exclusives got delayed this gen and all of those same games were announced AT LEAST 3 years before they have or will launch. If you can understand that, then take a look at the quote right ^^^^^^^ there.

And yet MS show other quality games that release right away like Halo, Forza, Gears, Dead Rising 3 & 4, Titan Fall, sunset overdrive,ect. Its okay to show games that are coming down the road, but better have some games ready right away or around the corner.

This seems true. Something I noticed was Sony often announces a huge catalog of games... For five years later. When MS announced a game, it was either for the year it was announced or it fell into development hell. 

The problem's them having a lot of IPs in storage they haven't used. Lost Odyssey, Age of Empires, Fable, Phantom Dust... They haven't revived them or show any hint they might be alive. It seems they have lots of games but almost all of them are lumped together in a fridge. 

What they've done so far though trumps everything Sony has thrown at me. People often praise them for having a backlog of games... Which seems pointless when most of those will not release soon and when most of those ARE the third party software people slam MS for. 

It's a double standard and at this point I don't think MS cares. They are aware something horrible might have to happen on their side to stop them so they are not bothering. Instead, they are covering everything they are able to like Apple tried so later on they are able to have more customers, even if they are less "gamers" than Sony. 

Sorry, but your damn lists are useless if I am not impressed and only two or three of Sony's lineup impresses me. 

Around the Network

MS just doesn't take risks like Sony or Nintendo do. Sony, especially invests in new IPs all the time and while some turn out sucking donkey balls, it also produces gems like the Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn etc. Sure, you can say those games are developed by some of the best studios on the planet, but if MS owned the same studios, ND would probably be on Jak and Dexter part 7 by now and Zero Dawn would be Killzone 6.

LudicrousSpeed said:

@OP, Microsoft doesn't really care if you buy their software on PC or console. And there's no way Alan Wake will skip PC if it were to happen, lol. I don't think really any of the big three have done a good job this gen making exciting new IP's. Nintendo had Splatoon, Sony might have something in Horizon. Microsoft might have something in Sea of Thieves.

Personally I don't see them "stepping their game up" in the area you wish they would. It flies right in the face of what they have been all about lately. If you already have a good gaming PC then you'll already be able to play whatever future Xbone game they release that appeals to you. And you won't need new hardware. Seems like a win/win.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft has never been good at making games. They've always paid outsiders to make their games for them or acquired franchises. Halo was purchased when they bought Bungie before it launched for Apple and the same Gears was purchased outright. Not only that but they hired a team composed of Sony and irattional games workers to make Gears 4 helmed by Rod Ferguson. MS making a key action-based exclusive all by themselves is a little much to ask. Theyve never done it after all of their time in the console business. It would be nice, but they dont take risk,because I feel they know they arent that creative.

I've had this issue with Microsoft for a long time and have expressed this for years. I dub this a valid rant. 

You've held a lot of incorrect theories about Microsoft for years, this is just one of them. Also, lol @ no risks. Just this gen they have payrolled Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, ReCore, among other "action-based" games. All of those were risks. One could easily argue 0 of them paid off. The strangest part about this theory is that you're a huge Sony fan, and if this bothers you about Microsoft, then surely it must bother you about Sony? Possibly even more, since they are supposed to be the far superior game maker with much more and much better studios.

We're three years into this gen.. where are the games? We've actually had a couple threads touching on this in the last couple days. Something about PS4 having ten exclusive one million sellers on PS4, but half of them were not made by Sony but rather farmed out. And someone else made a thread about the top 100+ scoring PS4 games on Metacritic, IIRC only three are PS4 exclusives? If you use this website and look at the top 100 selling titles on PS4, a decent amount, 15 IIRC, are Sony games. But in those 15, you have:

3 yearly MLB releases
2 ports/collections from last gen
5 of the remaining 10 are made by third party companies paid by Sony, aka the same thing you're bitching about with Microsoft.
4 of the remaining 5 games are made by first party companies that Sony bought, aka the same thing you're bitching about with Microsoft.

The lone remaining game is Knack. Yeah, Knack.

Where is the risk you want? Where is the creativity? It doesn't exist here imho, which is more shameful because as the market leader with way more consoles sold and way more appeal worldwide, there is far less risk for them and yet you can compare their output with Microsoft's very easily. We all know Sony has wider appeal and will, by default, get way more exclusive games just by way of third party Japanese support. But this theory you have just doesn't mesh with the reality we have seen this gen.

Oh what a pleasant surprise! Its been a while ludicrous. As for all of your text, I was referring to Sony's first party attenpts. Sony likes to amass new IP's and if they would've succeeded with Sunset Overdrive Microsoft would never have had it. Microsoft throws their money at third parties because they cannot develop new IP's on heir own that are hits. Its just not their thing. Hopefully they dont pay for timed exclusivity of another Tomb Raider because of it.  MS has admitted, themselves, that they wish they could've made an exclusive like Uncharted but nothing ever worked out. Why? Because their internal teams were never great at new IP's.  When MS had their drought before the end of last gen it was noted in numerous articles about how they've struggled while Sony has onliy gotten stronger (which helped them close their sales  gap with Microsoft). This is why Phil Spencer is so focused on trying amass IP's. If they cannot make new IP's themselves they will get developers to make as many new IP's as possible to try and pose a threat. So far, Ryse is a bust and Titanfall was never exclusive to begin with. Lets all hope Sunset Overdrive turned a profit for Insomniacs sake because im sure the second game being  multiplat would definitely help.

Sony doesn't create new IPs...

But then Naughty Dog alone have done Crash, Jake and Dexter, Uncharted and TLOU (coming back to Uncharted was a first). Always trying a new IP every gen even if the previous title were very well at sales.

And on MS, Bungie lefts move Halo to 343, buy GoW and transfer to another internal studio, Forza is still a 2nd party title. So where are the new IPs made by MS? Unfortunately only sea of thieves would fit this criteria and while I found it very interesting I'm not sure the market will embrace and generate another loved IP.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Meh, I spend more time with MS titles than Sony or Nintendo games. MS makes fun games or gets fun exclusives and that's what I like about them.

If youre getting everything you want on PC, fine. As long as youre using Windows 10 I dont think MS gives a fuck.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

MS have done well this year.

While this past year has actually been great in my eyes when it comes to software output, I agree. I miss pre-2011 Xbox, which had an amazing amount of quality titles available and was still getting meaty exclusives. 

Mr Puggsly said:
Meh, I spend more time with MS titles than Sony or Nintendo games. MS makes fun games or gets fun exclusives and that's what I like about them.

If youre getting everything you want on PC, fine. As long as youre using Windows 10 I dont think MS gives a fuck.

Yep, that is all one should care... if MS games is what pleases you most (and there is quite some folks that are like that) then it doesn't matter much if the game is on PC, X1, both. As long as you can play them it's ok

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Many in here aren't giving credit where its due. Just because MS don't actually make some of the games doesn't mean they haven't put in any effort. MS were the reason why Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, Cuphead, Sea of Thieves etc exist. There's a lot more that happens behind the scenes than company *A* made this game and company *B* made that game.

Azzanation said:
Many in here aren't giving credit where its due. Just because MS don't actually make some of the games doesn't mean they haven't put in any effort. MS were the reason why Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, Cuphead, Sea of Thieves etc exist. There's a lot more that happens behind the scenes than company *A* made this game and company *B* made that game.

And besides SO that perhaps could be on PS if Sony didn't want to keep the IP all of the others would probably never exist without MS incentive.