By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Carrier just showed corporations how to beat Donald Trump

numberwang said:

The deindustrialization of the US accelerated with Clinton's NAFTA and Obama has no magic wand against it.

lol you cold.  

Around the Network

He is still not the president.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Obama "saved" plenty of jobs with the auto-bailout.

It doesn't change the fundamentals of the game though, US manufacturing is never going to back to where it was.

Forget hugely complex business models and just ask yourself this simple common sense question, if you have a business making lets say -- video game consoles and one group of workers wants $20/hour to make them plus medical, plus dental, plus 5 weeks vacation, plus maternity leave and you have a second group of workers willing to make the same console for $3/hour, no medial, no dental, no maternity, no vacation time, willing to work even longer hours and weekends, which group are you going to choose?

Even if you're "nice" and chose the first group your competition will choose the second one, now they can sell a console for cheaper than you can because their production cost is way cheaper.

There is no "tax break" that fixes this. This is simply one of the natural quirks of the capitalist system, which don't get me wrong is positive in many ways (and probably the only workable economic system we have until some kind of Star Trek style futurism shows up), but this is also one of the realities of it. It's a tough system and competition is always there.

Soundwave said:
numberwang said:

The deindustrialization of the US accelerated with Clinton's NAFTA and Obama has no magic wand against it.

Deindustrialization was going to happen no matter what. 

And even then, eventually automation would become a problem, which it is. Like I said there are more factories in the US today than 30 years ago. They only employ 1/3 the work force though because technology has improved so much and that number is only going to become more lop sided. 

Manufacturing is never coming back. No politican has the balls to publicly say this though. People who think they have a steady manufacturing job waiting for them for the next 10-20+ years need to wake up, it's the 21st century now and shit has changed. 

They're already prepping for self driving trucks in the US for example ... if trucks become automated, trucking is one of the last "big" blue collar jobs left. You walk into a McDonalds today and they employ maybe 1/2 the amount of workers as they did a decade ago because you can order on touchscreen kiosks now. Everything is changing. 

Yeah it was also one of the reasons why I was not pro trump economic wise atleast.

I mean this graph says enough:

The difference between before is that more and more companies are working on robotics/Automatisation and so on.

off shore is rather a small reason that jobs get lost, it is mindblowing to see that Apple made their mac's factory back in Texas Austin and it created less than 100 jobs.   We are basically at the beginning of a new machine age I wonder what is going to happen.

Soundwave said:
bowserthedog said:

You're obviously not one of the 1000 people who just had their job saved. 

I'd sooner set a bad prescendent in saving jobs then pay Iran for a peace deal. That shows any crazy country how to beat the United States. Start building nukes then cash in.

He saved about 900 jobs while losing 1100 in the process with all the leverage in the world (or country) behind him. To me that's not great negotiation. This wasn't even a big number, lol 2000 jobs is nothing. If this is the best he can do in this situation, what's he's going to accomplish with little/no leverage? 10% of jobs saved instead of 45%? 

Carrier was a very easy case, they are deeply tied to the US gov't. This is like picking a fight with the skinniest/weakest looking kid and still getting a bloody nose out of it. What are you going to do when you have to actually someone bigger? 

Actually a "pay for peace" deal with Iran is much more preferable than the alternative. You want to go fight on the front lines in a war in Iran? Or send your son/daughter to do so? Didn't think so. Easy to war hawk when someone else is the one who's going to have to potentially actually fight. 

Actually all those jobs were already lost. And he saved as many as he could as a president-elect. The real job savings will come once he's president and can make changes to nafta as well as pass a budget with widespread tax savings and incentives. This is just the tip of the iceburg.   If Carrier was an easy case then what the heck has Obama been doing. He's been laughing at Trump and saying nothing could be done lol.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Obama "saved" plenty of jobs with the auto-bailout.

It doesn't change the fundamentals of the game though, US manufacturing is never going to back to where it was.

Forget hugely complex business models and just ask yourself this simple common sense question, if you have a business making lets say -- video game consoles and one group of workers wants $20/hour to make them plus medical, plus dental, plus 5 weeks vacation, plus maternity leave and you have a second group of workers willing to make the same console for $3/hour, no medial, no dental, no maternity, no vacation time, willing to work even longer hours and weekends, which group are you going to choose?

Even if you're "nice" and chose the first group your competition will choose the second one, now they can sell a console for cheaper than you can because their production cost is way cheaper.

There is no "tax break" that fixes this. This is simply one of the natural quirks of the capitalist system, which don't get me wrong is positive in many ways (and probably the only workable economic system we have until some kind of Star Trek style futurism shows up), but this is also one of the realities of it. It's a tough system and competition is always there.

YAhh that was started By Dubya.  

So Carrier is proud for being a giant piece of shit?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

What's wrong with tax cuts for corporations? I don't understand this narrative.

It's always interesting when politicians, and Trump is now a politician in every sense of the word now, talk about bringing manufacturing back to the US when many if not most of those jobs were not lost to outsources or moving jobs out of the country but instead were lost to technology (efficiency). More than ever it takes one person to do what used to take two or more people to do. Trump isn't going to be bringing those jobs back. We can only hope that the pace of _new_ products being invented accelerates to the point that it outweighs the gains in efficiency (which I don't see happening).

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Locknuts said:
What's wrong with tax cuts for corporations? I don't understand this narrative.

Well the idea of "tax cuts for corporations" is pretty fundamentally "trickle down economics". The idea is that if you help those at the top, the money will trickle down to those at the bottom. The problem is that it just doesn't really work. We don't see an increase in wages proportional to productivity or increases in wages with increasing revenue. The money that enters at the top tends to stay at the top. 

Here we are talking about tax cuts, which means less revenue for the government. What does that mean? Well either it means decreasing federal spending or increasing debt. Increasing debt being a bad thing is pretty self explanatory, but what about decreasing federal spending? Well often that money comes from health care or SNAPs, or other programs which help low/medium income families ( http://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/house-gop-budget-gets-62-percent-of-budget-cuts-from-low-and-moderate-income ). Cutting spending here hurts the lower and middle class, or it hurts the economy as a whole.

So what we have when we see corporate tax cuts is a system which rewards those at the top and penalizes those at the bottom. Thats whats wrong with tax cuts for corporations (in a very general sense).

This is why the flip flop on Trump's part here is a big deal. He went from imposing tarrifs as a way of incentivizing companies to stay in America to decreasing taxes as an incentive (not to imply that Trump hasn't always supported cutting corporate taxes. He has.). They are pretty fundamentally different ideas which move money in very different ways.