By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Carrier just showed corporations how to beat Donald Trump

Threatening contract as a means of achieving political goals? Threatening to unilaterally impose tariffs without Congress? If Trump had done those things, this very thread would have been people criticizing him for such actions.

Around the Network
tokilamockingbrd said:
Soundwave said:

The investment is not really the issue. That's fine. 

The fact that this is the best deal they could get is the issue because it shows Trump is going to be pretty impotent against outsourcing. 

This is a cherry picked company (Carrier) that was perfect to lay down the law with. Their parent company has 5 billion+ in government contracts (meaning 5 billion in US tax payer money). This was a relatively small number of jobs 2000. They were put under a public microscope by being dragged into the US election stuff. You have the president elect directly getting involved. 

And the *best* they could do is save <50% of these jobs. 

That's pathetic, I'm sorry, but it shows the government really can't do shit to these companies. Most companies don't have billions of dollars in defence contracts with the US gov't, in a situation like this they would just tell the gov't to go pound sand. And rightfully so. 

Trump said he would impose 35% tarrifs on companies that did what Carrier is doing. He has backtracked on this already. 

In reality this deal was mike pence. He is still the governer of indiana that is why they had some power to make it happen. Trump was the driving force behind it maybe, but it was Pence's deal to make. 

Also, that is not exactly what trump said. He wants to lower corporate taxes, reduce costly regulation, and recreate other incentives to spur on job creation. The tariff would only happen once all those things were in place and the company still wants to leave. We can know if he is keeping his promise on that until taxes are lowered, regulations are cut and companies still try to leave.

As things stand now Trump understands why they want to leave. He is a businessman, he knows what factors cause even him to produce some of his products overseas. 

LOL, some you sure are clueless pretty much everything that has the Trump name on it is made overseas.  Not like he makes anything anyway the majority of his stuff is just licenced merchandise besides dealing in real estate he is not much of a businessman.

Chris Hu said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

In reality this deal was mike pence. He is still the governer of indiana that is why they had some power to make it happen. Trump was the driving force behind it maybe, but it was Pence's deal to make. 

Also, that is not exactly what trump said. He wants to lower corporate taxes, reduce costly regulation, and recreate other incentives to spur on job creation. The tariff would only happen once all those things were in place and the company still wants to leave. We can know if he is keeping his promise on that until taxes are lowered, regulations are cut and companies still try to leave.

As things stand now Trump understands why they want to leave. He is a businessman, he knows what factors cause even him to produce some of his products overseas. 

LOL, some you sure are clueless pretty much everything that has the Trump name on it is made overseas.  Not like he makes anything anyway the majority of his stuff is just licenced merchandise besides dealing in real estate he is not much of a businessman.

ok... 

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Bandorr said:

It is concerning to a point.  Donald Trump has made it so obvious this is goal is "keep jobs in america" that you start to wonder "at what cost".

I mean this was pretty much win win for Carrier. They either move the jobs away and save money - or they get bribed with tax credits to stay.

So pretty much as long as a company is willing to move their jobs they can just threaten to do so and get bribed to stay.

It does not set a good precedent.

This is universal , every form of Government does it federal , state cities , local councils, the costs and type of benefit varies but it's happens ,it might mean cheaper electricity for a large smelter , payroll tax exemptions spending on certain infrastructure the list is endless ,The state I live in Australia Tasmania has a large aluminium smelter but the bauxite is shipped from far north Queensland about 3 to 4,000 km away , this is made viable by cheap Hydro electricity contracts , they used to use a third of the states total ouput now through new tech down to a quarter, but only account for 10% of  income  at the same time the jobs went from thousands down to around 600 , it is a dog eat dog world out there.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Hmm, all I see is damned if you do and damned if you don't from the all too familiar critics in this thread ... (If this thread isn't a good example of confirmation bias then I don't know what is.)

That aside it should be Mike Pence who get's the credit or criticisms that are leveled on Trump but the spin machine that some people have won't ever allow that ...

And some people here just don't want to learn the details just like they accuse Trump of not learning the details when running around gloating about how "Trump still lost 1100 jobs" while being ignorant to the fact that (1) you can't change a signed contract and that (2) you have no idea about the cost structure so shit like "billions and could not save the rest of the 1100" is face palm worthy since the parent company has about 200K other employees that apparently don't need to be addressed ...

The other problems is who the hell are we going to replace UTC with if they don't want to keep jobs in America ?

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:

Although I dont like this crony-capitalist deal, I dont see how taxpayers are losing $7million dollars. How is Carrier keeping more of their own money making anyone lose money?

bunchanumbers said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

this is why no one can take the media seriously. About a week after the election I saw on CNN they were discussing how Trump had not had some sort of victory rally yet when most president elects have one with that time. Now when he holds one the narrative is it is showing how self absorbed he is. 

Stop reading Slate. Stop reading Huffpo. Stop watching CNN. Foxnews. MSNBC. Ignore all "commentary" and pundits. Listen to what people actually say and form your own conclusions. Your arguments sound identical to what I saw from Slate yesterday. 

When the media starts doing the news again they will regain some trust. 

I actually have no idea what most of those places you are talking about. All I gotta use is my own eyes. Trump lets a thousand jobs go. Trump brags about him saving a few.

Whee. There's that great america we've been waiting for.

Yes because Obama was ready to save all 2,000 Carrier jobs instead of Trump's measly 700-1,000 of them with his magic wand wasn't he...oh wait...

It wouldn't be a big deal if Trump just cut the deal instead of making a big PR spectacle of it. If he wants to do that, ok, then lets look at the deal, once you look at the deal you realize it's not that great. 

Once you break down the deal it's more "well it could've been worse" deal than a "wow, that's great" deal.

Like I said, businesses that don't have 5 billion tied up with the federal government would tell Trump go screw himself, Carrier was picked purposely as a PR gift because they knew they had significant leverage over Carrier and they still didn't get a great deal.

This is like the easiest negotiation they could've had, most companies do not give two craps because they don't have lucrative defense contracts paid for by US tax payers. IMO shame on Carrier too ... billions in tax payer funded contracts and even the direct president elect getting involved and they still would've give on 50% of these jobs? C'mon. 

TheLegendaryWolf said:
bunchanumbers said:

I actually have no idea what most of those places you are talking about. All I gotta use is my own eyes. Trump lets a thousand jobs go. Trump brags about him saving a few.

Yes because Obama was ready to save all 2,000 Carrier jobs instead of Trump's measly 700-1,000 of them with his magic wand wasn't he...oh wait...

It shouldn't be up to any president to be trying to interfere with private businesses. Will Trump be doing this after his inauguration? Is he supposed to swoop in like a tangerine batman and stop the evil company from protecting their interests? Its ridiculous. He's supposed to be managing the economy in a broad way. Not doing direct interventions with individual companies.

If he really wants to save jobs he should be doing it through his policy. What he is doing now is trying to stop a dam from breaking by sticking his finger in the crack.

bunchanumbers said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

this is why no one can take the media seriously. About a week after the election I saw on CNN they were discussing how Trump had not had some sort of victory rally yet when most president elects have one with that time. Now when he holds one the narrative is it is showing how self absorbed he is. 

Stop reading Slate. Stop reading Huffpo. Stop watching CNN. Foxnews. MSNBC. Ignore all "commentary" and pundits. Listen to what people actually say and form your own conclusions. Your arguments sound identical to what I saw from Slate yesterday. 

When the media starts doing the news again they will regain some trust. 

I take it your a glass half empty type of person. If he had saved all the jobs  you and some of the blind people on this site would find something to complain about. Like why couldn't he get them raises or more vacation! You need to look at the big picture the jobs were gone!!!!!!! Trump saved 1100 jobs by negotiating with them before they moved permanently something OBAMA WASN'T GOING TO DO AND NEITHER WAS CLINTON! And as for him promoting this, its a good thing that he shows all Americans he's got there back and that he will work for the jobs we need. The leader of a nation needs to be a cheerleader for the country in order to install confidence to their people! So be happy for the people he's help.