By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 sales are off to a rough start.

Mike_L said:
bunchanumbers said:

I did. All subquent sequels would sell better once it was understood that it wasn't going to end up on other consoles. Its already become apparent that the ones who claim they would wait for a PS4 version are not buying it now.

All subsequent sequels don't have anything to do with Rise of the Tomb Raider.

People are not arguing whether it was right to make Tomb Raider II exclusive to the PS1. They are arguing against your belief that Rise of the Tomb Raider would've sold better had it not been released on PS4.

Everything indicates that the majority of the fanbase is on PlayStation.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Tomb Raider (2013) PS3 2013 Action Square Enix 0.60 1.26 0.08 0.48 2.42
2 Tomb Raider (2013) X360 2013 Action Square Enix 0.86 0.84 0.01 0.17 1.89
3 Tomb Raider (2013) PS4 2014 Action Square Enix 0.47 0.65 0.06 0.22 1.39
4 Tomb Raider (2013) XOne 2014 Action Square Enix 0.34 0.21 0.00 0.05 0.60
5 Tomb Raider (2013) PC N/A Action Square Enix 0.06 0.25 0.00 0.04 0.35
Total           2.33 3.20 0.16 0.96 6.65

I do. What was the first thing fans did when they heard about Rise being MS exclusive? They demanded a PS4 version. If memory serves there were even death threats involved. And when they relented and admit that down the road a PS4 version is happening, they didn't go out and buy a Xbox version. By admitting that there would be a PS4 version at some point they pretty much killed the exclusivity deal and handicapped Xbox One version sales.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
Good. Any sort of timed/full exclusivity of an established franchise is a spit in the face to existing fans whom don't happen to own that console. I will pick it up later down the line when it is $30.

People get pissed even if their fanbase is the very minority of the sales for that franchise, but when the franchise was recognized on that platform to just skip it is kinda crazy.

Can you imagine the crazyness that would be if there were this kinda forums for FF VII time? The outcry just didn't show as big because PS1 end up selling a lot more than N64, but if N64 had 3x the userbase of PS1 then FF VIII could have suffered a lot when trying to go back to multiplat.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

bunchanumbers said:
Mike_L said:

All subsequent sequels don't have anything to do with Rise of the Tomb Raider.

People are not arguing whether it was right to make Tomb Raider II exclusive to the PS1. They are arguing against your belief that Rise of the Tomb Raider would've sold better had it not been released on PS4.

Everything indicates that the majority of the fanbase is on PlayStation.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Tomb Raider (2013) PS3 2013 Action Square Enix 0.60 1.26 0.08 0.48 2.42
2 Tomb Raider (2013) X360 2013 Action Square Enix 0.86 0.84 0.01 0.17 1.89
3 Tomb Raider (2013) PS4 2014 Action Square Enix 0.47 0.65 0.06 0.22 1.39
4 Tomb Raider (2013) XOne 2014 Action Square Enix 0.34 0.21 0.00 0.05 0.60
5 Tomb Raider (2013) PC N/A Action Square Enix 0.06 0.25 0.00 0.04 0.35
Total           2.33 3.20 0.16 0.96 6.65

I do. What was the first thing fans did when they heard about Rise being MS exclusive? They demanded a PS4 version. If memory serves there were even death threats involved. And when they relented and admit that down the road a PS4 version is happening, they didn't go out and buy a Xbox version. By admitting that there would be a PS4 version at some point they pretty much killed the exclusivity deal and handicapped Xbox One version sales.

Considering TR sales and that UC is regarded as better by PS fanbase why do you think a lot of people would decide to buy a X1 to play it there? And the fault was from MS bad messaging.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Bought this both on XBO and PC , no need for the PS4 version for me.

For shame it hasn't done better as this is the best and meatiest PS4 action game to release all year.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

DonFerrari said:
bunchanumbers said:

Considering TR sales and that UC is regarded as better by PS fanbase why do you think a lot of people would decide to buy a X1 to play it there? And the fault was from MS bad messaging.

Of course they are going to say UC is better. There are still hurt feelings involving TRs timed exclusivity.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
DonFerrari said:

Of course they are going to say UC is better. There are still hurt feelings involving TRs timed exclusivity.

Nope, PS fanbase have been saying UC is better since at least UC2 and SquareEnix kind of agreed with their reboot to sabe a agonizing franchise.

DonFerrari said:
Guitarguy said:
Good. Any sort of timed/full exclusivity of an established franchise is a spit in the face to existing fans whom don't happen to own that console. I will pick it up later down the line when it is $30.

People get pissed even if their fanbase is the very minority of the sales for that franchise, but when the franchise was recognized on that platform to just skip it is kinda crazy.

Can you imagine the crazyness that would be if there were this kinda forums for FF VII time? The outcry just didn't show as big because PS1 end up selling a lot more than N64, but if N64 had 3x the userbase of PS1 then FF VIII could have suffered a lot when trying to go back to multiplat.

Fair call actually. FFVII not making it to the N64 was mainly a technical issue with the capacity limitations of cartridges but most people would not have even have known about that back then and as you said, forums were non-existent at the time. If anything, I would have expected ROTR to have been a timed exclusive to the PS4, not the opposite.

bunchanumbers said:
DonFerrari said:

There might have been hurt feelings a year ago, but not anymore. PS fans craved an adventure game. the problem was they didn't get one last year and had to wait for Uncharted. the thirst was quenched and when they were told they will get but at full price a year later, they decided not to bother.

SE killed their own sales. they put the game on a console that had a smaller TR can base. they chose to launch the game around some of the biggest names in gaming and got buried. 

They then chose to release it on a platform that has their largest fan base, not only a year later but at 3times the cost compared to the X1. 

bunchanumbers said:
Mike_L said:

Not one thing you just wrote explains why you think Rise of the Tomb Raider would've had overall better sales if it had stayed exclusive to Xbox.

I did. All subquent sequels would sell better once it was understood that it wasn't going to end up on other consoles. Its already become apparent that the ones who claim they would wait for a PS4 version are not buying it now.

I've been reading your posts and for the life of me I cant undertajd a thing you are saying.

Most people didn't "claim" they would wait for it to come out on the PS4. They just said that TR wasnt reason enough to go and buy an XB1. As it stands, could it just be that after a year they simply don't care about it anymore?

This is the issue with timed exclusivity today. These days you don't just not get the game for a year, you can go online and watch someone else play the game from beginning to end of you are so inclined. Do you think people that have done that would be inclined to spend $60 on it?

bunchanumbers said:
BraLoD said:

He just gave you the data on the multiplatform game, which was the last, selling almost double on PS platforms than on the XB counterparts (more than double on 8th gen devices).
Tomb Rider XBOX exclusivity was pointless from the get go, not on the same level but it's like if a Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy mainline game goes exclusive for XBOX, that doesn't make any sense.

Because it could be built up. What was the first thing that happened when Rise was announced as exclusive? People demanded it be on Sony then said they wouldn't buy it anyway because its a betrayal against Sony fans who bought on ps1 20 years ago. But lets say that the next 2 TR games were MS exclusive too. Eventually it would have been seen as a MS franchise. Kinda like how Sony fans see FF as a Sony franchise even though there are a half dozen games on Nintendo systems. We might get to see this happen now because of the poor sales on PS4. Kinda like how Titanfall 2 ended up on PS4 and it suffered bad sales. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back to MS exclusivity, assuming it survives.

It may affect the franchise in a level that we won't see any new game in a while, they will put it in the Freezer again.

The style of the Final Fantasy games with the Playstation and Nintendo's consoles are very different. The 2  eras are very good. But you would expect that the franchise is linked with Playstation since there wasn't a single release for Nintendo in the last 20 years and the game sells almost more on Japan alone(PS) than on the Xbox(worldwide).

The last Final Fantasy, if I remember well, sold more on the PS3 in the USA despite the 20 millions of lead that the Xbox 360 had over the ps3.