By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 sales are off to a rough start.

Intrinsic said:
bunchanumbers said:

I did. All subquent sequels would sell better once it was understood that it wasn't going to end up on other consoles. Its already become apparent that the ones who claim they would wait for a PS4 version are not buying it now.

I've been reading your posts and for the life of me I cant undertajd a thing you are saying.

Most people didn't "claim" they would wait for it to come out on the PS4. They just said that TR wasnt reason enough to go and buy an XB1. As it stands, could it just be that after a year they simply don't care about it anymore?

This is the issue with timed exclusivity today. These days you don't just not get the game for a year, you can go online and watch someone else play the game from beginning to end of you are so inclined. Do you think people that have done that would be inclined to spend $60 on it?

The marketing was a problem. Majority of the people probably didn't noticed that Tomb Raider launched last month for the PS4.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
DonFerrari said:

People get pissed even if their fanbase is the very minority of the sales for that franchise, but when the franchise was recognized on that platform to just skip it is kinda crazy.

Can you imagine the crazyness that would be if there were this kinda forums for FF VII time? The outcry just didn't show as big because PS1 end up selling a lot more than N64, but if N64 had 3x the userbase of PS1 then FF VIII could have suffered a lot when trying to go back to multiplat.

Fair call actually. FFVII not making it to the N64 was mainly a technical issue with the capacity limitations of cartridges but most people would not have even have known about that back then and as you said, forums were non-existent at the time. If anything, I would have expected ROTR to have been a timed exclusive to the PS4, not the opposite.

Yes you are totally right

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think in the end of this holiday it will sell over xbox one holiday 2015 sales. xbox one+´xbox 360 sales were only little over 1m+ in january 2016 according to microsoft, so ps4 might even sell as many as those combined. In UK it did same as xbox one and US little less than xbox one and it looks like it charts okeish other parts of the world where xbox one doesnt have much present, it even outsells gears 4 in some places. I think they got enough money from mircosoft to cover the lack of sales, but overall they have hurt future sequal game sales.

I think Dead Rising 4 is even worse case of timed exclusivity. Its barely top 200 amazon in two weeks before launch and it doesnt chart any other online shops either (US or Europe) With no Play Anywhere it wont do as well as some games microsoft has digitally. There isnt much hype or talk about it. Dead Rising 4 probably needs good reviews to be somewhat relevant. It will flop hard next year on ps4, because they missed dr3 and fanbase is more on microsoft side.

I totally forgot that the game finally came out, on PS4. I stopped caring. I'm not gonna be picking it up. It's old hat. And I have other games to play.

Let's use the Nintendo fanbase route and say that since the game was paid on X1 so it was only profit putting PS4 version even if only had sold 1k.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

square enix totally deserves this. it was an extremely stupid decision to make this game a timed exclusive on xbox. the damage they did to the IP is pretty big. something i been saying will happen ever since they announced the exclusivity of this game.

bananaking21 said:
square enix totally deserves this. it was an extremely stupid decision to make this game a timed exclusive on xbox. the damage they did to the IP is pretty big. something i been saying will happen ever since they announced the exclusivity of this game.

Funy enough I'm not seeing any of those guys that said the impact would be negible.

I was surprised that it did not do well on Xbone last year. PS4P has got some features and all DLC addition is expected but the pricing needs to go down for more sales. That is what they did last year too.

I had issues with the tone of the first one, so I was l already in the 'wait for a sale' mode before the sequel ever was announced as an Xbo exclusive. And I did just now get it on the recent steam sale.

But I find it a bit odd, as I'm playing it that I keep thinking how much better Uncharted 4 is at almost everything Rise attempts to do, all the while enjoying Rise much more than I ever did Uncharted 4. odd

So, releasing as a timed exclusive on Xone was a bad decision according to some sony fans in this thread. It seems like some loves to live in fantasy worlds were everything must be only ps. Man, that would be the worst videogame future anyone can imagine...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile